Review: Koss Pro4AA Titanium vs. AKG K 701
Aug 8, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
This is as good a place as any to say this: The new MV1 sucks!

Colorations of serious subtraction, with some horrible boxy resonances - everything sounds nasal and congested. The only thing they have going for them at $179 is a very comfortable ear pad layout, and excellent isolation.

that what the pro4aat out of box(with out inner pad's). 28 hours it get much better.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #32 of 48
I picked up the Pro 4AATs based on this recommendation and my previous experience with Koss. I am burning them in right now, and when I get home from work, I will have 190 hours on them.

I have a set of Koss UR30 phones I bought 7 years ago, I love their isolation and sound. I even bought a pair for a friend (they were like $16 at best buy), who used them with joy for years before they were destroyed by a hungry rabbit.

I have not been able to really enjoy the Pro 4AATs yet, as I don't have an amp and my laptop just cannot produce enough juice to drive these without clipping the bass. Even worse was my tiny MP3 player; with only 1 AAA battery, I had to have the thing at full volume even to hear decently and it still wasn't loud enough.

I have a Pengamp on the way. Hopefully I am as pleased with them as you are; most people on this forum seem to dislike them.

BTW, I also picked up the KSC 75s for portable use. Everyone loves them.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #33 of 48
I'm just over the 60 hour mark right now. 10 hours a day, non stop music. The Pro4AA Ti definately needs an amp, as it's already a somewhat thin-sounding headphone at this moment of speaking (it could well be that all of a sudden it's turning into a dynamic beast, but I doubt it), and the extra juice/voltage is well needed.

Comparing the KSC75 and Pro4AA is not a good thing as the first one just gives a lot of "schwung" to the listening experience, and the latter one is more into defining sounds of instruments and vocals but a bit thin sounding imo.

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #34 of 48
Stumbled over this thread while looking through some old pm's and had completely forgoten about it. It's interesting to see a headphone with as many mixed reviews compared to one that is supposedly one of the best. Go Koss!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #35 of 48
Still great headphones! I have two pair, burned in two different ways. One does not sound as go or not the same. best then really low sound for a long time (48 hour of techno, an they sound so good). it brought out the textures.

great review.

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #36 of 48
^ What, talk about a revival.

This whole article sounds EXTREMELY biased towards koss, not quite as equal a playing field as I would think is merited. Or maybe the K701s are just that bad???

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole article sounds EXTREMELY biased towards koss, not quite as equal a playing field as I would think is merited. Or maybe the K701s are just that bad???

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Besides, somewhere around a $180 street price difference is nothing to sneeze at.

TempestX posted about a month ago in a thread I started and he was referring to this post, so I believe he still feels the same way.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #39 of 48
I hear ya. I just thought it was neat to point out that like you said "one mans trash, is another mans treasure" cause it seems to be VERY contradictory to what others impressions here are.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 48
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard these new Titaniums as well as the original 70's Pro4AAA? The originals were my favorite closed phone, and I'd like to revisit that time because my old ones are long gone.

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #41 of 48
I still love my Koss, and as I stated in the review the K701 and the Koss compliment each other well. One mans trash is another treasure is a harsh comment, especially when everyone hears differently, but may be an appropriate comment. Many have said the Koss sound great especially the mids, but they are just not comfortable. I have heard many phones, and if you look at the review in the beginning you will see some listed, just not some of the upper phones such as the K1000, R10's etc. People have different ears.

My brief review of the Ultrasone HFI 400 will be finished before next weekend and they are well over 400 hours. I lost my mother-n-law, and have been in Arkansas, so I have not really been in the writing mood.

oicdn Me biased over Koss, hardly. I just go against the norm and don't follow everyone else. I never said the K701 was bad. Did you read the review? Have you owned either?

Happy listening with whatever headphone or earphone you own.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya know, when I was looking to get my first decent pair of closed headphones, I narrowed my choice down to the Pro4AA/Pro4AAT or the Sennheiser HD280. Unfortunetly, I went with the Sennheiser, my dissatisfaction with them led me here, and I forgot completely about these since they're rarely mentioned around here. Would be pretty funny if these turned out being my final stop for closed 'phones, would kinda show that I've gone full circle in my journey.
biggrin.gif

I think that's what's happened to me.

HD25SP->SR225->HD280->HD595->RS1->DT770/80->MV1->K701->PRO4AAT

When my Koss PRO4X cans died, the PRO4AAT were my first choice for replacement. Since I had the 4X for 20 years, I figured it was maybe time to try other brands out. Five years and 8 cans later I'm back to my original choice.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 48
these Koss Pro4AA's still a good buy? I see they're several years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back