Review: Koss Pro4AA Titanium vs. AKG K 701
Jun 2, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Well I would have written a proper 'review' if the cans merited it, but they just aren't good enough to bother! Considering that the 4AAAT is basically an open MV1, I don't have very high hopes for that, unless everything that is wrong with the MV1 is the closed back.

Oh My ! Guess i will have to go for the Pro-4AAT's then . Thanks for your opinion on the MV-1.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 48
Update: Just for those interested. K 701's have 336 hours of break-in on them. Now this may be equivalent to 500-600 hours who knows as this was hard break-in. Let me clarify. My normal listening is at about 3 1/2 to 4 on my amp, but while away for 12 hours or more at work, they are running at unlistenable levels with bass heavy music at a volume of about 6-6 1/2.

I am happy to say they have mellowed much more and the bass and mids are sweet with more presence than when I reviewed them. They have always had good bass extension and mids. I don't know why some say they lack bass, but they now have more presence.

Rating:
Koss Pro4AA T - Still my number one can
K 701 - I would give it a 1a or 1 1/2

Happy listening!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 48
Ya know, when I was looking to get my first decent pair of closed headphones, I narrowed my choice down to the Pro4AA/Pro4AAT or the Sennheiser HD280. Unfortunetly, I went with the Sennheiser, my dissatisfaction with them led me here, and I forgot completely about these since they're rarely mentioned around here. Would be pretty funny if these turned out being my final stop for closed 'phones, would kinda show that I've gone full circle in my journey.
biggrin.gif

One question: The lone review for the Pro4AAT on headphonereviews.org mentions that they have "no soundstage whatsoever." Could you provide your thoughts on the soundstage?

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Ya know, when I was looking to get my first decent pair of closed headphones, I narrowed my choice down to the Pro4AA/Pro4AAT or the Sennheiser HD280. Unfortunetly, I went with the Sennheiser, my dissatisfaction with them led me here, and I forgot completely about these since they're rarely mentioned around here. Would be pretty funny if these turned out being my final stop for closed 'phones, would kinda show that I've gone full circle in my journey.
biggrin.gif

One question: The lone review for the Pro4AAT on headphonereviews.org mentions that they have "no soundstage whatsoever." Could you provide your thoughts on the soundstage?

Here is attempt to try to describe them. They sound just as open as my K 701's but to a different degree for a closed can. I am like the conductor or lead singer of a band on the stage. I hear all instruments and sound playing, but I am not in a row per say like in the crowd, but still on stage about 10-15 feet from the band center.

Example: Say take a C shape and you are just on the inside the mouth of the C. Center of the band (back of the C) is in front of you and your facing the center of the band, but the band circles around you while your just inside the C type shape. Smooth lush sound with tight bass, lush mids, smooth highs. No instrument on the stage really over powers the other, but there is still this ever so slight 3D sense with great left to right panning.

Hard to describe. Laid back but not like Sennheiser's, and not forward either.
blink.gif

Remember this is only to my ears.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #21 of 48
Another update. Friday nights into Saturday's for me are stay up late nights. K 701's with about 351 hours break-in.

Don't know how to describe it, but I think the soundstage of them have gone MidEvil, Medieval, or Evil on me.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Guess this is the strange soundstage everyone has either loved or hated about the K 701. I don't know how to explain it. Don't know if I like it, not sure if I don't like liking it.

I can't tell if I am in front of the stage, behind the stage, on top of it, below it, or I am just taking up space filling a void just somewhere in space.

No more typing for a while from me or updates, just more evaluating whether I like this or not before 30 day return is up.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
This is as good a place as any to say this: The new MV1 sucks!

Colorations of serious subtraction, with some horrible boxy resonances - everything sounds nasal and congested. The only thing they have going for them at $179 is a very comfortable ear pad layout, and excellent isolation.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I thought it would be better then starting a new one. Aren't the nasaly congested and resonant qualities normally found in a closed headphone? Wouldn't opening them make them sound less boxy and resonant? Just curious as I love Koss, and want to get their best pair. I however do not want to spend $150 just to be dissapointed.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
So wait... the Koss phones that cost him $64 are better than the AKG K701?

O.O

Yes that is what I am saying. Again everyone has to judge things with their own ears.
wink.gif

1 = Koss Pro4AA T
1a = AKG K 701
2 = Sennheiser HD 497
3 = KSC75
3a = RadioShack version of Koss UR40
4 = Ibanez 6PHIHP01

[edited to list other phones, additional edit]

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #27 of 48
TempestX,
I'm really pleased with the reviews of the Koss 4AAT and the K-701. They are in detail, and honest, and best of all, you stand by your 4AAT's. I am hoping to purchase a pair of the 4AAT's soon, and have heard about the "veiled" sound that they seem to have, but was really somewhat relieved to here you acknowledge it and then give a reference to the Sennheiser and AKG's sound for comparison on the level of the "veil". Currently, I have a pair of HD 590's that I love (I'm mainly an acoustic fella); I enjoy their soundstage as well as their balance between being somewhat punchy in the bottom, warm in the middle and defined on top while at the same time being rather neutral. However, I would like to get a decent pair of closed headphones so that others don't have to listen to my music (plus, I don't like taking a $200 pair of headphones out and about all the time), and have always been a fan of Koss and what, I believe, they did for the headphone industry and helping to make it what it is today by their creation of the 4AA's. In short (or somewhat long as this post seems to be going), I'm just saying thanks for re-affirming my confidence in the sound of the Koss' and their quality. Good listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon
TempestX,
I'm really pleased with the reviews of the Koss 4AAT and the K-701. They are in detail, and honest, and best of all, you stand by your 4AAT's. I am hoping to purchase a pair of the 4AAT's soon, and have heard about the "veiled" sound that they seem to have, but was really somewhat relieved to here you acknowledge it and then give a reference to the Sennheiser and AKG's sound for comparison on the level of the "veil". Currently, I have a pair of HD 590's that I love (I'm mainly an acoustic fella); I enjoy their soundstage as well as their balance between being somewhat punchy in the bottom, warm in the middle and defined on top while at the same time being rather neutral. However, I would like to get a decent pair of closed headphones so that others don't have to listen to my music (plus, I don't like taking a $200 pair of headphones out and about all the time), and have always been a fan of Koss and what, I believe, they did for the headphone industry and helping to make it what it is today by their creation of the 4AA's. In short (or somewhat long as this post seems to be going), I'm just saying thanks for re-affirming my confidence in the sound of the Koss' and their quality. Good listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the kind words. It is a joy to be able to be online again. Moved 2 weeks ago, just came back from Anaheim, CA for my job last night, and DSL was hooked up today.

Happy listening!

Jul 22, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #29 of 48
TempestX thanks for the review. Although I disagree on the comparison, I appreciate the detailed battle. On the "natural" front, I know that term is often used subjectively, but the Tutankhamuns are so dark I wonder how that term could be applied here (outside a... sorry... cave). I mean they're dark. Far darker overall (until they come around/exhibit a little top end) than Senns HD580/6X0 series. That's certainly a preference for some people, but since non-music listening reality doesn't shift in that direction nearly that much, do you feel it's a fair label? As for power, these need major ampage to come alive. Forget the portables.

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 48
hi, i have the pro4aat's and i love them. will mostly i don't use the pad's that fit
between the drivers and my/your ears.

between upper mid's are very sharp. i have not...really...burn them in.
maybe 800 hours on and off. do the mid's do better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back