[Review] InEar Stage Diver 3 - An experience
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #481 of 786
Congrats! Interesting about the tips. Large silicone does fit pretty well, especially when pushing the bottom of the SD3 so it sort of sucks into the canal. Anyway enjoy burning them in!

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #482 of 786
I was really prepared to not like the SD3, as I am not a big fan of overly-done bass. I have found, however, that the bass seems to be in perfect balance with the mids and highs, never intruding where it shouldn't be and never overdone. I am particularly impressed with the honesty that the SD3 renders all musical instruments as well as vocals. Never a trace of silbilance or shrillness, even with female vocalists.

I like the largeness of the sound and the solid foundation that they give to whatever type of music I am listening to.

It seems that I had formed an opinion before hearing them that has completely changed. So far, I find little to not like. Maybe a more complete assortment of tips, but since I have a pretty good stash, that isn't a big problem. My right ear usually presents a fit challenge as the canal takes an odd upward angle.

I will add some more thoughts as I gain additional experience with them. So far, I have only used them directly driven from my Tera-Player. A superb match, by the way.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #483 of 786
Glad you like them Ron! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #484 of 786
Large Sony hybrid does a good job for me, so will listen for awhile and see what they can do.

Large Sony hybrids? I am surprised!

In the other threads I notice that people quickly jump to conclusions based on fit. So I will give a detailed explanation on how to insert the StageDiver correctly:

Remove the tips completely and hold the naked acrylic housing against your auricle. Move it around a little so you can get a feel on how the universal shell is designed and hopefully you will find a position in which it really feels like a custom.
Then try to pick the smallest tip that allows this fit yet still providing a seal. When inserting, do exactly like with hearing protection. Pull up your ear while pushing the inear into the ear canal. Readjust by pulling your ear lap down and continue to push the shell as close as possible. You should notice how the IEM continues to suck itself closer.
Caution: Negative pressure might occur. In that case the music will sound like it's under water. Just pull down your ear laps some more and allow air to come in.

I am writing this because after spending a lot of time with these inears, I am surprised people claim that Complys or large tips sound best. The SD was designed to sit as deep as possible. Bass has lower quantity and is tighter, and highs should be more linear.

Finally, the treble of both StageDivers is very refined. You should try to bring it out some more with tips that have a larger opening than the default ones.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #487 of 786
Quote:
Ouch! People are considering to buy this (http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2013/07/aurisonics-asg-2.html) over the SD3? Haha.

no worries mate, send him your pair of SD3
tongue.gif

btw, H200 also got unimpressive graphs but sounds soooo musical
rolleyes.gif

you know graphs alone would not tell you how IEMs sound...perhaps this can better explain the phenomenon: “According to aerodynamic laws, the bumblebee cannot fly. Its body weight is not the right proportion to its wingspan. Ignoring these laws, the bumblebee flies anyway.”
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #490 of 786
Ouch! People are considering to buy this (http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2013/07/aurisonics-asg-2.html) over the SD3? Haha.

Send the SD3 over to get measured, THEN laugh at us. :smile:

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #491 of 786
I bet it won't be that bad...it was well known that the earsonics sm64 fails in the german hifi forum, now check rinchoi's sm64 review.

I don' t think that the sd3 is technically worse than the asg-2. Now eke has stated that the asg-2 is 1 or even 2 tiers above the sd3, see?

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #492 of 786
Quote:
Send the SD3 over to get measured, THEN laugh at us.
smile.gif

Didn't somebody say these were sent to him already? I don't feel comfortable to send them to Korea. Not only does it take a long time but with insurance it also costs a lot.

I would have nothing from it. The SD2 & SD3 already have some very(!) knowledgeable guys backing it up over on hifi-forum.
I already wrote down my impressions, including A-B comparisons, sinus sweeps, etc. I stand by my word. Even though the SD3 is bass-heavy, it is extremely cohesive (a minor single peak at 3,6kHz) and technically stellar. Choose the SD2 instead and you have some of the cleanest mids and highs yet, unless you're bothered by some extra fullness at around 200 Hz. I'd like to see this verified by measurements, but I trust my ears enough to let you quote me.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #493 of 786
I bet it won't be that bad...it was well known that the earsonics sm64 fails in the german hifi forum, now check rinchoi's sm64 review.

I don' t think that the sd3 is technically worse or has more problems than the asg-2. Now eke has stated that the asg-2 is 1 or even 2 tiers above the sd3, see?

Sigh.

1.The SM64 "correlation" is hardly worth putting into quotes.

2. You haven't heard the ASG-2 nor seen measurements for the SD3.

3. Eke made his statement based on actually hearing both. People put weight on different qualities that they find important, something important you should realize as well as that he's heard many other current TOTL in-ears to base his comparison on. You're just speculating, at best, and it's not really helping anything.

4. I like German engineering a lot too. :D

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #495 of 786
Quote:
Sigh.

1.The SM64 "correlation" is hardly worth putting into quotes.

2. You haven't heard the ASG-2 nor seen measurements for the SD3.

3. Eke made his statement based on actually hearing both. People put weight on different qualities that they find important, something important you should realize as well as that he's heard many other current TOTL in-ears to base his comparison on. You're just speculating, at best, and it's not really helping anything.

4. I like German engineering a lot too.
biggrin.gif

No need, V. Carlsan owns both. He just got back from vacation and will be posting impressions soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back