[Review] InEar SD-2, a $450 dual driver IEM worth every penny to my ears.
Oct 26, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #31 of 164
Hey 

Its interesting the way people compare the sd3 to the sd2 (as far as I have noticed) .. the difference in price is pretty chunky for the described 'added bass' ... and 
the mark up to like 650 euros for the new sd4 is pretty massive too. 

Have I been missing some other info on how the sd3 expands on the technicalities of the sd2 ...soundstage, separations etc? Not just added bass. cheers 

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #32 of 164
  Hey 

Its interesting the way people compare the sd3 to the sd2 (as far as I have noticed) .. the difference in price is pretty chunky for the described 'added bass' ... and 

Have I been missing some other info on how the sd3 expands on the technicalities of the sd2 ...soundstage, separations etc? Not just added bass. cheers 

From what i have heard and read, its mostly more added bass and warmth which makes some people prefer the SD2 over the SD3. 

Sorry for asking, but SD4? Last time I checked there was no quad in the line-up:
http://www.inear-monitoring.eu/de/produkte/inear-universelles-monitoring/monitoring-stagediver.htm
...correct me if i am wrong.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #33 of 164
From what i have heard and read, its mostly more added bass and warmth which makes some people prefer the SD2 over the SD3. 

Sorry for asking, but SD4? Last time I checked there was no quad in the line-up:
http://www.inear-monitoring.eu/de/produkte/inear-universelles-monitoring/monitoring-stagediver.htm

Sd4 is gonna be released in November, was launched at a recent event.. You can preorder on the thomann website for intro price of 650eur and then will return to regular retail price of 679eur..

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #34 of 164
Sd4 is gonna be released in November, was launched at a recent event.. You can preorder on the thomann website for intro price of 650eur and then will return to regular retail price of 679eur..

Thanks for the info. Must have somehow missed it. 

The prospect of saving 19Euro doesn't seem all that compelling for a blind buy.

And 679Euro is a lot considering one can almost get a UERM (or similar) for the price. Performers willing to invest that amount of money, would surely be willing to go custom. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #35 of 164

Yeah added warmth etc just doesn't warrant the added cost. Why not just get a dynamic iem? I generally want to hear about soundstage majorly improving etc for that much added cost (prob mostly refering to sd4 in this instance) not tonality. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #36 of 164

Yeah added warmth etc just doesn't warrant the added cost. Why not just get a dynamic iem? I generally want to hear about soundstage majorly improving etc for that much added cost (prob mostly refering to sd4 in this instance) not tonality. 

I auditioned the SD1 and SD2 and compared them directly. I must say that the SD2 is considerably better than the SD1 and completely warrants the added price. [size=12.7272720336914px] [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]For me the SD2 already was warm enough, so I wasn't really interested in the SD3.[/size]

But from what i hear, I doubt the SD3 offers similar amounts of actual improvements (not variation).

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 164

I auditioned the SD1 and SD2 and compared them directly. I must say that the SD2 is considerably better than the SD1 and completely warrants the added price. [size=12.7272720336914px] [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]For me the SD2 already was warm enough, so I wasn't really interested in the SD3.[/size]

But from what i hear, I doubt the SD3 offers similar amounts of actual improvements (not variation).

I just posted my review of the SD-1s and agree. The SD-2 is worth every penny to upgrade from the SD-1. I feel that the SD-1 is a bit hot on the treble and lacking refinement overall. The SD-2 is a huge improvement in every way. The SD-3 I feel adds some mid-bass presence which doesn't jive with my general listening habits.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #38 of 164

I just posted my review of the SD-1s and agree. The SD-2 is worth every penny to upgrade from the SD-1. I feel that the SD-1 is a bit hot on the treble and lacking refinement overall. The SD-2 is a huge improvement in every way. The SD-3 I feel adds some mid-bass presence which doesn't jive with my general listening habits.

The phrase i was looking for.
The SD1, for me, lacked that full body and the layering/positioning i enjoyed about the SD2. It therefore lacked core components to the sound which made the SD2 memorable for me.

On the SD4, once it comes out, i am really interested in hearing impressions, simply because i would like to see whether these really are a step up (SD1 -> SD2) or a variation (SD2 -> SD3).
If later becomes true, i cannot imagine it being very good value (at all).

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 164

I know a guy who did the same and said the SE215 sound really poor in comparison. 

SE215 is not that poor, it's just... sd-2 outshines them. I even like sd-2 better than SE535

what about compared to the shure 535? That was one other option i looked at (not in person) before getting the sd-2 (again no trial before...just from talking to Joker)

In my opinion, sd-2 has flatter response, better instrument separation and positioning
  Hey 

I owned sd-3 (bought used for around $400, then sold it again after a month) prior to sd-2. it clearly has better separation, smoother treble. but I found the bass was to big for my taste.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #43 of 164

The feat of SD3 is to offer as much control with a powerful bass. If you just lift the quantity of bass, it will usually sound muddy. The SD3 will not. It's very dry all the time and thus not fatiguing although it has a powerful bass.

The SD3 excels at soundstage depth, which is it's obvious strength over SD2. Personally, I prefer good timbre and I'm a big fan of SD2.

I also got to audition the SD4 already. Here's my girlfriend with the SD4:

If you like the SD2, chances are high you will like the SD4 too. The SD2 has some lusher and more romantic mids while the SD4 will extend on both ends, but it's well balanced and won't hurt the timbre (at all from my 20min audition).

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #44 of 164

The feat of SD3 is to offer as much control with a powerful bass. If you just lift the quantity of bass, it will usually sound muddy. The SD3 will not. It's very dry all the time and thus not fatiguing although it has a powerful bass.

The SD3 excels at soundstage depth, which is it's obvious strength over SD2. Personally, I prefer good timbre and I'm a big fan of SD2.

I also got to audition the SD4 already. Here's my girlfriend with the SD4:

If you like the SD2, chances are high you will like the SD4 too. The SD2 has some lusher and more romantic mids while the SD4 will extend on both ends, but it's well balanced and won't hurt the timbre (at all from my 20min audition).

Would you say that the SD4 are more analytical or more musical than the SD2?

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #45 of 164
  Would you say that the SD4 are more analytical or more musical than the SD2?

I did not judge on purpose. I would like to spend some more time with SD4 first.
However, I think it really depends on what you consider musical. For example, I prefer the CE4 over CE6 from Cosmic Ears because the voices sound more romantic to me, whereas other will say they need the bass quantity from CE6.

The SD2 - I might add, I honestly think it is at least as good as the CE4 - has these really beautiful voices. It makes (Jazz) vocals sound amazing. But on the other hand, SD4 will be the preferred choice for more energetic music that needs a little push from the low-end. Say Metal, Electronica, Classical, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back