REVIEW: iBasso D1, Leckerton Audio UHA-3, and Meier Corda Move compared.
Sep 13, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 247
another awesome review, you are providing a great frame of reference and making it easier on all of us to weed out the best from the rest

even though I'm moving towards another home amp (per your recommendation) I personally appreciate such thorough reviews on all types of gear

I 've also found that until a company gets super successfull, you can often infer the quality of their entire line from proper evaluations of some of their products

thanks

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #32 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or be prepared to roll opamps to change the SQ of the D1 amp based on your ears.

My take on opamps: If the designer of the amp made it with a certain opamp, he most certainly did that for a good reason (sound quality, battery life, stability of the whole system), so no opamp rolling for me
cool.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #33 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take on opamps: If the designer of the amp made it with a certain opamp, he most certainly did that for a good reason (sound quality, battery life, stability of the whole system), so no opamp rolling for me
cool.gif

That's true, you'll never have to go through the 'pleasure' of fishing out a snapped off dip pin. There's plusses and minuses to everything.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, the iBasso D1 jumps to life when using the internal DAC. It has dynamics, bass impact, treble detail and extension, and depth of soundstage that is only hinted at when used from the analog input.

I didn't really think of it at the time, but perhaps my issue with the drums on selected tracks was the brightness of the cymbals bringing them far up front and the drum hits being in the back due to the depth of soundstage. I'll have to try to remember what I was listening to at the time that brought out that reaction. It just seemed like there was an enormous drum kit one person couldn't possibly be playing.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 247
Quote Skylab = The Move does not sound as good via USB as it does via its analog input. Via USB, its less transparent, less engaging, has a smaller soundstage, less extended treble, and weaker bass than it does when fed from its analog input.

I have all my MP3s on an iPod and on my Laptop (Acer 5633). If I pick the same file on both iPod and Laptop and cue them I really cannot hear much if any difference if I pull out the analog input to my Corda Move from the iPod and listen to the USB. Both sources sound excellent on my HD25-1. Lucky me perhaps ? - old mans ears ?.

Regards

IanR

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #36 of 247
I really enjoyed this review, as I really needed a comparison. Unfortunately I can't maintain either one on my list because of bills, but I still have a few questions.

This is regarding both the D1 and MOVE running from USB to DAC:

1) What are the different sound signatures of both? Cold, analytical, warm...etc.

2) Which has more bass impact, and which has lusher mids?

3) I'm using MS1's, 580's, and PK1's. Which one do you think would pair better with all 3 of those headphones?

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have all my MP3s on an iPod and on my Laptop (Acer 5633). If I pick the same file on both iPod and Laptop and cue them I really cannot hear much if any difference if I pull out the analog input to my Corda Move from the iPod and listen to the USB. Both sources sound excellent on my HD25-1. Lucky me perhaps ? - old mans ears ?.

Regards

IanR

Well, what bit-rate are your MP3s? Could that be the limiting factor? For me there was no difficulty hearing the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoyed this review, as I really needed a comparison. Unfortunately I can't maintain either one on my list because of bills, but I still have a few questions.

This is regarding both the D1 and MOVE running from USB to DAC:

1) What are the different sound signatures of both? Cold, analytical, warm...etc.

2) Which has more bass impact, and which has lusher mids?

3) I'm using MS1's, 580's, and PK1's. Which one do you think would pair better with all 3 of those headphones?

Thanks!

The basic sonic signatures are as I described in the review - the Move is warmer and lusher, the D1 is brighter and more forward sounding, but neither of them takes this to an extreme where its a problem.

Sorry I can't help with those headphones, never heard any of them.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #38 of 247
Quote Skylab = Well, what bit-rate are your MP3s? Could that be the limiting factor? For me there was no difficulty hearing the difference

The 'worst' bitrate 192ish - the 'best' 256ish. But I am listening to the same file on both sources.

IanR

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 247
Thanks for the review. It was very interesting.

I am considering a second head-amp after my positive experience with the D!, but for this amp I don't have a need for portability. I'm wondering if there is a home amp that would sound as good or better than the D1 in the same price bracket. The Opera sounds great, but it really isn't in the same price ballpark.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #40 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, what bit-rate are your MP3s? Could that be the limiting factor? For me there was no difficulty hearing the difference.

The basic sonic signatures are as I described in the review - the Move is warmer and lusher, the D1 is brighter and more forward sounding, but neither of them takes this to an extreme where its a problem.

Sorry I can't help with those headphones, never heard any of them.

Which has a punchier bass through USB DAC?

Edit: Never mind, I must have missed the sentence where you said the bass impact was much better through the D1.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #41 of 247
Thanks and nice review skylab! I definitely enjoyed reading your impressions. It's very interesting that the D1 through its DAC sounds better than the Move. I would have never expected it after reading the first section of your post.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 247
IanR, those bit rates are sufficient to allow the sonic differences to come through, IMO.

Soup, as a DAC/AMP combo, the D1 has punchier bass IMO.

For a home amp to complement the D1, a Meier Cantate might work well.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #43 of 247
Thanks Skylab! I'm glad I waited to purchase the D1. Although I was pretty set on the D1, this just confirms the decision will be the right one. I just got a PCDP with Optical out for it. I was going to buy the D1 last week, but got some HD580 off the FS forums instead, then bought my first turntable last nite....when will I find time, and money, for the D1! Well, I get paid tomorrow and this review makes me want this even more. Sounds like it would be a good match with my incoming 580's too! ooooo, I can't wait.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #45 of 247
Well put up review skylab!

I have not tried the Microstack, but I have been promised a new version of the Microamp, which will include a USB DAC if I understand correctly, when they are released.

as far as the new micro line of amps form headroom is concerned, it mention on their website in the middle of october.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back