REVIEW: iBasso D1, Leckerton Audio UHA-3, and Meier Corda Move compared.
Sep 13, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 247
so if i were to be listening out of a desktop with USB AND Optical outputs, i would spring for the D1 correct?

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #18 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so if i were to be listening out of a desktop with USB AND Optical outputs, i would spring for the D1 correct?

Yes, based solely on Skylab's review. This would mean you are always using the DAC of the D1 which is spectacular.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #19 of 247
Thanks again Skylab, another great, thorough review. The D1 sounds like something I'd like to pick up in the future.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #20 of 247
Hey there,

I am sure the amp will continue to have changes in sound burning in past 400 hours or more. So, some of the differences in sound for you versus me or others will not apply after another day or two
wink.gif

I wrote here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=1054 very similar impressions with the DAC/AMP combo blowing everything else away.

In my case, since I haven't heard everything there is to hear yet, I can't say that the D1 DAC/AMP combo is the best of all, just the best I have personally heard.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 247
Just as my first impression when I receive D1.

Connection straight to amp, doesn't sound pleasant as what I've expected,
but when I connect to USB & Optical, D1 sound flawlessly ~

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 247
So the best bet seems to be: Buying both
biggrin.gif

D1 as the DAC and the Move as the Amp, since the amp part of the D1 seems to be it's limiting factor.

Thanks for the review Skylab.
As always, much appreciated!

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 247
Skylab,

Thanks for the great review. It's clear from what you wrote that the D1 is superior as a DAC+Amp amp to the Move due to the DAC section. What I am trying to get a fix on is just how much better the DAC improves the overall sound. In other words, the D1 DAC+Amp sounds better than the Move DAC+Amp, does it also sound better than the iMod+Move amp?

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #25 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the best bet seems to be: Buying both
biggrin.gif

D1 as the DAC and the Move as the Amp, since the amp part of the D1 seems to be it's limiting factor.

Thanks for the review Skylab.
As always, much appreciated!

Or be prepared to roll opamps to change the SQ of the D1 amp based on your ears.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #26 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfiguer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your informative and thoughtful review. Have you ever hear the HR Microstack? How the iBasso D1 compares to the HR Microstack using the USB/optical/coaxial digital input?

I have not tried the Microstack, but I have been promised a new version of the Microamp, which will include a USB DAC if I understand correctly, when they are released.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeslip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD650's (stock cables) hooked up to my iBasso D1. I found your review to be very informative. However, when I compared the internal DAC vs digital out on a Macbook Pro, I found the digital out to have a better sound. The sound stage was very wide, and instruments were separated well. Overall I found the sound to be warmer (at least thats what I would call it). When connected via USB, the sound was a lot more flat and the high's were almost annoying.

Any ideas? Is the Macbook Pro's digital out really that good?

I am in no way an audiophile, this is just a hobby for me. =) So take my comments with a grain of salt and personal opinion.

I can't say for sure, but the other digital inputs do sound a little better even than USB, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the view. I no longer have to look for a DAC/Amp and toil over which to buy.

Out of curiosity Skylab, have you spent any time comparing certain sound signatures from different headphones with each one to see which you'd prefer, i.e. which amp complements which headphones?

For instance, you have said many times on these boards that Meier amps pair well with Beyer cans. Does this hold true for the Move? Are there any to stay away from?

And in the same way, are there any headphones from your collection that you thought sounded really well with the iBasso D1?

I understand that you only used two headphones for your review, but I'm just asking this in case you've done it at any point.

No I didn't really, BUT, the iBasso does have a bit of a forward sound in the upper mids and lower treble, so it's probably best to mate it with headphones that are just a tiny bit laid back, rather than the reverse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want a portable, or are restricted to the D1's price range, absolutely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, was the burn-in conducted with the D1 running in amp-only mode, amp+DAC mode, or some combination of the two?

Good question! I chose to do 150 hours of both. SO the headphone amp got 300 hours, the analog input 150 hours, and the DAC 150 hours. It actually ended up being a little longer than that for the DAC, since I started the review late...

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

Thanks for the great review. It's clear from what you wrote that the D1 is superior as a DAC+Amp amp to the Move due to the DAC section. What I am trying to get a fix on is just how much better the DAC improves the overall sound. In other words, the D1 DAC+Amp sounds better than the Move DAC+Amp, does it also sound better than the iMod+Move amp?

I wondered if anyone would ask me that! This was VERY difficult to judge. Here, the combinations sounded DIFFERENT more than anything - both sounded truly excellent. I guess I very slightly prefer the somewhat lusher sound of the iMod+Move to the PC+iBasso, but this will be music dependent, and definitely user dependent! There was no clear winner in this case.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #27 of 247
Skylab, did you try using the iBasso as a source only into the Move's amp? I would think from that you should be able to get a good handle on what's actually going on between the DAC sections.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #28 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or the ibasso people wanted to keep it cheaper so they used opamps that maybe arent the best?

That's also what i think. I wanted to ask my D1 without any Opamp in it to get a little rebate and roll my own...but restrained as i have bought lot of stuff recently and didn't want to end with a opamp less D1
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #29 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say for sure, but the other digital inputs do sound a little better even than USB, yes.

To my ears/on my setups, the optical from a pcdp or coax from my cdp both sound better than USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back