Review: HiSoundAudio Earbuds - Living, PAA-1 Pro, & HiPhone
Oct 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
My last earbud review was subtitled ‘an earbud hater’s take’ – a stance that has not changed since it was written a year ago. The HiSound earbuds, however, interest me for one simple reason – the original PAA-1, included as a stock earbud with the old HiSoundAudio DAPs, was more than competitive with the then-popular Sennheiser MX760 and Yuin PK3. The new Pro version is available separately for a mere $20, alongside its brethren – the smartphone-compatible HiPhone and the more hi-fi Living. The following is my short take on the HiSoundAudio earbuds.

Packaging & Accessories

The HiSound earphones I received all came in standard PAA-1 Pro packaging – small plastic boxes housing the earbuds and foam cushions. The final package for the Living should also include a clamshell case and a shirt clip. The packaging is neat enough and there really aren’t any accessories I would expect in that price range aside from the foam cushions.

Design & Build Quality

The PAA-1 and HiPhone earbuds utilize the same housing – familiar Sennheiser-style asymmetric plastic shells – and identical cabling. The cords are rubbery and reasonably thick for a pair of earbuds. The HiPhone also features a single-button mic/remote unit on the right-side cable. Aside from the mic/remote, the two earphones differ in the y-split and 3.5mm I-plug, both of which are beefier on the PAA-1 Pro.

The pricier Living earbuds use attractive aluminum shells and smooth, textured cables similar to those found on HiSound’s Crystal IEMs. The y-split and well-relieved 3.5mm plug are shared with the Crystal as well. All in all, the build quality of the Living is tops among the earbuds I’ve encountered and certainly gives the product a premium feel.

Fit & Comfort

The earbuds are all conventional in fit. The lightweight plastic housings of the PAA-1 Pro and HiPhone are asymmetric and should work for most people in the correct orientation. The Living, while slightly heavier, also has a more delicate design and may fit small ears better than the two plastic earbuds do.

Isolation & Microphonics

None and none.

Sound Quality

Specifications (PAA-1 Pro / HiPhone / Living)
Driver diameter: 16 mm
Impedance: 32 ohm
Sensitivity: 105 dB / 105 dB / 107 dB
Frequency response: 17-22k Hz / 19-21k Hz / 16-23k Hz
Cable length: 124 cm (4.1 ft) / 114cm (3.7 ft) / 124 cm (4.1 ft)

Testing note: all on-the-go listening was done straight out of a Cowon J3 portable player loaded with 192-320kbps mp3s. Critical listening was done using an iBasso D10 DAC/amp with stock opamps using a wider selection of lossless tracks in FLAC and WMA formats

PAA-1 Pro

The old PAA-1 earbud was the reason I held HiSound in high regard prior to getting my hands on these, and the new Pro version does not disappoint. It takes on a consumer-friendly sound – warm, smooth, and laid-back – while maintaining impressive technical ability. The bass has surprisingly decent depth, mild mid-bass lift, and good punch for an earbud. It is a bit less controlled and detailed than that of the Living but also fuller and weightier.

The midrange is warm and fairly clean but also quite laid-back compared to the bass. As a result, a mild veil is noticeable when the PAA-1 is compared to the Living. Detail and clarity levels also lag behind the Living but for its price the PAA-1 is more than impressive. The natural clarity of the driver is superior to that of the latest-gen stock iPod buds but this is not obvious due to the sound of the iBud being far more forward and much less dynamic. The detail, too, is better with the PAA-1. The iBud does have more treble, giving it a cooler tone but also an edgier, less pleasant sound.

The presentation of the PAA-1 is wide and airy and the laid-back character gives an illusion of greater soundstage depth. The PAA-1, like most earbuds, doesn’t image particularly well and doesn’t have good on-center feel but instrument separation is sufficient and it tends to be far less congested-sounding overall than stock Apple earbuds. It is also a lot more dynamic, making Apple earbuds seem very shouty in comparison. In addition, the sound signature of the PAA-1 makes it extremely forgiving of source and source material – more so than the iBuds and far more so than the higher-end Living. Overall a very pleasant listen despite the form factor.

HiPhone

I expected the HiPhone, with its identical housings and similar price point, to sound very similar to the PAA-1. In a way this is the case – the signature of the HiPhone is much closer to that of the PAA-1 than it is to the Living – but the sound quality just isn’t there. Compared to the PAA-1, the HiPhone is warmer and bassier, but not in a good way. The mid-bass hump is greater and deep bass seems overshadowed by it. Impact is similar to the PAA-1 – quite good for an earbud and quantitatively greater than with the Living or Apple buds – but the HiPhone is simply too boomy to impress.

The midrange is warm and lacks slightly in both detail and clarity compared to the PAA-1, putting it about on par with stock Apple earbuds in both instances. The HiPhone does sound fuller and smoother than the iBud but also muddier. Compared to the PAA-1 there is not as much air and the dynamics and separation are slightly poorer. The veil is much thicker and the top end is very laid-back. Otherwise the presentation is similar – distant and relaxed. For those looking to move away from an Apple earbud, this is a stark change, but not necessarily an upgrade. Those who prefer a fuller and warmer sound should be pleased.

Living

The Living offers a very different sound signature from the PAA-1 and HiPhone. Bass depth is not particularly impressive but aside from bottom octave roll-off the low end is quite flat. There is no warmth-inducing mid-bass hump and the bass is quick and controlled, without a hint of bloat. The midrange is clean and refined, with excellent clarity and detail and absolutely no veil. It is very transparent and open-sounding, with a tonal character that is a touch on the cool side and a slightly thinner note compared to the cheaper PAA-1 Pro. The response is generally well-balanced but the Living is a bit laid-back - especially in the midrange - compared to the stock Apple earbuds

The top end is sparkly and crisp, with sufficient extension and good air. It can be a bit too prominent at times, especially with an improper fit, but is no more likely to offend than that of the stock Apple earbud. Though the only other high-end earbud with a slight analytical tendency I’ve heard is the pricier Yuin OK1, fans of brighter, cleaner sound will probably feel right at home with the Living. Soundstage width, separation, and positioning are all excellent and the drivers used by the Living are quick and resolving. There is again not a lot of centering ability to the imaging but for an earbud the Living performs well enough. Tonally it is quite a bit brighter than the PAA-1 Pro and loses most of the extremely non-fatiguing and forgiving character of the cheaper model. It is very revealing and was clearly not designed with compressed, low-bitrate files and poor mastering in mind. With proper recordings, the Living really pulls away from its inexpensive brethren.

Ranking (sound quality):

Apple Earbuds (current gen) = HiPhone < PAA-1 Pro < Living

Conclusion

The three new earbuds from HiSoundAudio undoubtedly serve three very different purposes.

The Living is a premium product both in sound and design. It has the best build quality of the dozen or so earbuds I’ve had my hands on and wows with its liquid and energetic sound, the sort of signature I would expect from a higher-end Audio-Technica product. Those in search of that sound in an earbud should have no problem with the $99 asking price.

The HiPhone is a stark contrast to the Living, offering a decidedly lo-fi sound with heavy-handed bass, veiled mids, and recessed treble. While vastly different in signature from stock Apple earbuds, the HiPhone is not necessarily an upgrade – more of a series of trade-offs. It is, however, one of the few aftermarket buds to offer a mic and remote – a value-adding proposition for those who don’t mind the warmth these offer.

It is the PAA-1, however, that is the star of the show as far as I am concerned. Priced at $19, it is a good-sized upgrade from the average stock earbud and a solid overall performer. While it shares much of its sound signature with the warm and smooth HiPhone, the PAA-1 is a fair bit more dynamic and resolving. Like most decent earbuds it is open-sounding and has decent presence across the range. This is one earbud that both audiophiles and casual listeners alike should be able to enjoy.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 12
nice review, coming from a 'hater' and i being the opp. was waiting for this review from you for a while! 
putting detail and quality aside, how do you  the Living signature compared to the MX471 and the Feeling and Charm?

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
nice review, coming from a 'hater' and i being the opp. was waiting for this review from you for a while! 
putting detail and quality aside, how do you  the Living signature compared to the MX471 and the Feeling and Charm?

The Living is brighter and a bit colder than all of those, especially the MX471. MX471 is closest to the PAA-1 if anything. The Feeling and Charm are somewhere between the PAA-1 and Living. I thought the Charm had good bass depth and somewhat relaxed treble. The Living has neither of those. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Quote:

The Living is brighter and a bit colder than all of those, especially the MX471. MX471 is closest to the PAA-1 if anything. The Feeling and Charm are somewhere between the PAA-1 and Living. I thought the Charm had good bass depth and somewhat relaxed treble. The Living has neither of those. 

great, seems an option to what i was looking for. the 471 is lacking some treble 

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't know if Hisound tweaked the tuning of the Living since I last reviewed them, but did you think the Living felt a bit hollow? I thought its detailing was pretty good, but I couldn't escape the thought of it being really hollow sounding. It didn't change with extended burn-in time nor any amount of fidgeting with the fit.

Oh, and my version of the PAA-1 Pro wasn't in the new housings, but my impressions were about the same as yours. I think they're probably the best buy out of any of these earbuds. Then again, I don't like earbuds much, either.

Quote:

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I don't know if Hisound tweaked the tuning of the Living since I last reviewed them, but did you think the Living felt a bit hollow? I thought its detailing was pretty good, but I couldn't escape the thought of it being really hollow sounding. It didn't change with extended burn-in time nor any amount of fidgeting with the fit.

Oh, and my version of the PAA-1 Pro wasn't in the new housings, but my impressions were about the same as yours. I think they're probably the best buy out of any of these earbuds. Then again, I don't like earbuds much, either.

I'm not an expert on earbuds but I didn't notice any hollowness that I wouldn't put down to the Living being an earbud, and an analytical one as well.

If it was my money and I had to have an earbud, the PAA-1 is the one I would buy as well.  

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Just curious. If you were to assign SQ scores like the IEM thread, how would you rate OK1, Living, AS-Charm, PAA-1 and Starsonic HDSS?

If the OK1 score is 9-ish (as it is), the Living would be in the low 8 range, charm in the mid-upper 7, PAA-1 Pro in upper 6 / lower 7. I haven't heard the HDSS in a long time but it should be close to the PAA-1 Pro since it was close to the non-Pro PAA-1 back when I had both.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Does the PAA-1 sound better than the Sennheiser MX580? So far I haven't found any earbuds around $25(or less) that sound better than the MX580. Aside from the annoying volume control, my main criticism of the MX580 is that it is slightly lacking in bass(I guess all earbuds lack bass to some degree, when compared to most IEMs).

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 12
The Pros retail for $50, not $20.  These are the $20 PAA-1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hisoundaudio-PAA-1-Earbuds-HiFi-Grade-Earphones-Black-color-/380305110945?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item588bf377a1

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Does the PAA-1 sound better than the Sennheiser MX580? So far I haven't found any earbuds around $25(or less) that sound better than the MX580. Aside from the annoying volume control, my main criticism of the MX580 is that it is slightly lacking in bass(I guess all earbuds lack bass to some degree, when compared to most IEMs).

Sorry, I am not at all familiar with the MX580. 

Quote:
The Pros retail for $50, not $20.  These are the $20 PAA-1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hisoundaudio-PAA-1-Earbuds-HiFi-Grade-Earphones-Black-color-/380305110945?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item588bf377a1

The regular PAA-1 is probably the better deal then. I was told the PAA-1 Pro (and HiPhone) would each be $19 when I first received them,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back