[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #286 of 342
I am thinking of buying these, but I listen to almost only EDM (dubstep, dnb, electrohouse)
And I was wondering how well these did with music like that. I also have a ZO v1, shich I plan to use with a Sansa Clip+ and an iPhone 4S.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #288 of 342
Quote:

Comparison with FXT90 (12/31)

Isolation is better on RE262, although I do use different tips between the two which could contribute to some difference but overall I think the RE262 housing body helps to block out more noise.

Source Nano 6g with LOD to Fiio e6

Vocals are placed closer and guitars are pushed more forward with RE262.  Treble has more presence in the FXT90 and is an overall brighter phone; distortion guitars have much more bite.  The treble of the RE262 seems a little weightier and perhaps more accurate sounding for cymbals.  I have to use EQ2 on the Fiio to get as much bass quantity out of the RE262 but with the added bass of the E6, the RE262 can match the un-eq'd JVC's in quantity and was already a match in quality.

The FXT90 is wider in soundstage but RE262 is just a bit deeper, which is saying something as the JVC is already deep.  Instrument realism is superb on both but I give the nod to the JVC’s; it’s just fantastic.  The RE262 has a blacker background and with the combination of a more intimate vocal, can make for a very seductive effect with the right music.  I think both are transparent and clear phones but with the blacker background and greater focus on mids, the RE262 wins the battle in transparency.

The differences in technicalities are minimal but tuning is pretty different between the two.  They are both fantastic bargains for their going rate of $150 or less and both have become my favorite universals of any I've ever owned.

Hey, thanks for your in depth review Shotgunshane.
I have a couple of questions for you. I'm looking for an uprage from my Etymotic ER6i, the only pair of decent IEM that i've owned. I would be using them in the office (open space) most of the time where i listen mainly to tranquil electronic music like ambient, chillout, Café del Mar, ... But when i go on a trip i would be using them for all different types of music: dance music, house, reggae, rock, drum and buss, ... I do not listen to classic music. And important for the moment, i will not be using an amp.
What do you think will be a better 'allround IEM' for my kind of music taste: the JVC or the RE262? From what i've read it seems that the JVC is easier to drive without an amp, what is your opinion?
In other words: do you think it's better to buy a more 'fun' phone (JVC) as allround and maybe giving in a bit on quality for the chill music or a more neutral one (RE262) and giving in a bit on the rock/dance part?

For what it's worth, my experience with the ER6i has been very good.

thank you very much for your reply!

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #290 of 342
Hey, thanks for your in depth review Shotgunshane.
I have a couple of questions for you. I'm looking for an uprage from my Etymotic ER6i, the only pair of decent IEM that i've owned. I would be using them in the office (open space) most of the time where i listen mainly to tranquil electronic music like ambient, chillout, Café del Mar, ... But when i go on a trip i would be using them for all different types of music: dance music, house, reggae, rock, drum and buss, ... I do not listen to classic music. And important for the moment, i will not be using an amp.
What do you think will be a better 'allround IEM' for my kind of music taste: the JVC or the RE262? From what i've read it seems that the JVC is easier to drive without an amp, what is your opinion?
In other words: do you think it's better to buy a more 'fun' phone (JVC) as allround and maybe giving in a bit on quality for the chill music or a more neutral one (RE262) and giving in a bit on the rock/dance part?

For what it's worth, my experience with the ER6i has been very good.

thank you very much for your reply!

I say go for the re262. It's more of a unique earphone and vocals are pretty special. While I think they sound best with an amp, there are plenty that enjoy them just fine without.

If you consider the JVC, check out the FXD80 thread. Apparently it's a step up over the FXT90, from those that have heard both. I haven't yet heard the 80.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #292 of 342
I'm looking to a buy a pair of earphones. A quick research led me to find the RE-262 to be the best for $150 and actually better than many earphones in the range of 150-400.

What scared me was that some people mentioned it has a weak bass? Should I be worried about that?

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #293 of 342
Quote:
I'm looking to a buy a pair of earphones. A quick research led me to find the RE-262 to be the best for $150 and actually better than many earphones in the range of 150-400.

What scared me was that some people mentioned it has a weak bass? Should I be worried about that?

Here's a review to read: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-re-262-and-re-272-ear-heaphones

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #294 of 342

They have pretty neutral bass. Just depends on how much boosted bass you prefer.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #296 of 342
I've not heard the cx300 but based on its FR graph, it has about 12db of bass boost, so the re-262 will definitely seem bass lite in direct comparison. Hard to know if you'll adjust to it and like it. What else have you heard?

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #299 of 342
I had not used my RE262 in a while. Put them on yesterday, and the left side is no longer working. 
frown.gif
 Is this common with these?

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #300 of 342
I had not used my RE262 in a while. Put them on yesterday, and the left side is no longer working. :frowning2:  Is this common with these?

I'm not sure how common but I have read some issues with various Hifiman IEMs. I'd recommend contacting Hifiman directly or sending a PM to Fang here on head-fi to see what options there may be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back