Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Nov 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #226 of 259
anyone tried t1 or hd800 on the ef6? Is it any good with these headphones? 

I have used the HD800'with the Ef6 and thought they were very good together. I posted a description of the sound of HD800 with EF6 vs ZDT amp a long time back, but not sure if in this thread.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #227 of 259
I have used the HD800'with the Ef6 and thought they were very good together. I posted a description of the sound of HD800 with EF6 vs ZDT amp a long time back, but not sure if in this thread.

I will have a look through, thanks. Its hard enough to find good descriptions of the hd800/ef6 combo 

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #229 of 259
  a little messy, but here it is

nice one, the amp looks great on the black table. How does the hd800 sound on the ef6 say compared to something like the WA2 which is what i have?

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #230 of 259
  nice one, the amp looks great on the black table. How does the hd800 sound on the ef6 say compared to something like the WA2 which is what i have?

I have no experience with tube amps so I can't help you there....I will add though that I get a kick out of complaints of the HD-800 being bass light....not the case here

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #231 of 259
  I have no experience with tube amps so I can't help you there....I will add though that I get a kick out of complaints of the HD-800 being bass light....not the case here

well now i like the sound of that  -  a lot!! 
basshead.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #232 of 259

I just went back and read the review  - great stuff. That cleared up a lot for me. thanks. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #233 of 259
I'm reading through this thread whilst listening to my HE-6 cans, amplified through my EF-6, with Microsoft Surface Pro as source listening to Ministry of Sounds: Last Night A DJ Saved My Life compilation album, this being the first real sit down and enjoy what this combo is capable of experience, as only just relatively recently picked up this HIFIMAN tour de force combo (takes intake of breathe)...,

....and this is out of the park phenomenal! :)

Holy origami!

What?!

This might be it - no need to buy anymore cans - this must be audio nirvana?

Though I've never heard STAX or Abyss - god - I can't envisage how anything could be better than this!

I've also got the AUDEZE LCD-X, which I absolutely love, but the soundstage sounds bigger with HE-6's, and everything just, I don't know - crisper?

I'm going to have to compare between the Audeze and HE-6's sometime to clarify this for myself, but I'm enjoying myself far too much right now to do that now - big grin on my face as I type this on my iPad!

So this is planet HIFAMAN HE-6 & EF-6? I totally get it & am glad to be here - this is a mind blowout - I honestly don't think I've heard music through headcans as good as right now - and I feel I'm being unfaithful to my Audeze LCD-X's if that makes any sense? Probably not, and don't get me wrong - I love those cans, but right now these HE-6's sound like nothing else :cool:

I'm not taking these things off till Wednesday when I'm back to work - this is liquid butter gold :atsmile:

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #235 of 259
I have been living with that setup for 9 months and I am not interested in other stuff anymore. but I did get a good dac to go with the e-f6-he-6. hd 800 is very good with ef-6. there is certainly better amps for the he-6 but with what? 10% better sound quality at best. no thank you.

hifiman made that amp to be a very good companion to he-6. and that is exactly what you get. you have world class sound for a lot less money than some insane setup that arguably d'ont sound better at all.

d'ont be afraid to spend for a very good dac and you will be happy for a very long time.

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #236 of 259
I have been living with that setup for 9 months and I am not interested in other stuff anymore. but I did get a good dac to go with the e-f6-he-6. hd 800 is very good with ef-6. there is certainly better amps for the he-6 but with what? 10% better sound quality at best. no thank you.

hifiman made that amp to be a very good companion to he-6. and that is exactly what you get. you have world class sound for a lot less money than some insane setup that arguably d'ont sound better at all.

d'ont be afraid to spend for a very good dac and you will be happy for a very long time.

Nice one - what dac have you paired up with your HE-6 and EF-6?

I'm still glued to these cans as I type

Brothers in Rhythm - "Such a good feeling" playing now - quite fitting I'd say, I can't say enough praise for this killer combo :D

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #237 of 259
I have an hegel hd25 dac. it has very good synergy with the ef-6 amp. I give a 6db bass boost to my he-6 and hd 800 with the hegel hd25. but most of the time I give 9db bass boost to he-6. that thing has the hardest hitting bass I have ever heard. even when having bass boosted, hd 800 will never approach he-6 bass. he-6 is bass monster. I also have he 500 and he 500 bass is so far away in quality compared to he- 6 it is almost funny. those who claims he 500 sound as good as he-6, they are on strong medicine I can tell you that. another thing I have noticed with the hegel hd25 is the gigantic soundstage he6 has with it. I find it more impressive than hd 800 too. it is like being litteraly drowned in music. at high volume it is very impressive. he-6 is quite the cans. hifiman are high on their 560 but I w'ont buy it cause there is no clear evidences from anybody that those cans are better than he-6.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #238 of 259
I have an hegel hd25 dac. it has very good synergy with the ef-6 amp. I give a 6db bass boost to my he-6 and hd 800 with the hegel hd25. but most of the time I give 9db bass boost to he-6. that thing has the hardest hitting bass I have ever heard. even when having bass boosted, hd 800 will never approach he-6 bass. he-6 is bass monster. I also have he 500 and he 500 bass is so far away in quality compared to he- 6 it is almost funny. those who claims he 500 sound as good as he-6, they are on strong medicine I can tell you that. another thing I have noticed with the hegel hd25 is the gigantic soundstage he6 has with it. I find it more impressive than hd 800 too. it is like being litteraly drowned in music. at high volume it is very impressive. he-6 is quite the cans. hifiman are high on their 560 but I w'ont buy it cause there is no clear evidences from anybody that those cans are better than he-6.

OMG :eek: - "gigantic soundstage" - I'm already sold - anything that can make this already sonic bliss combo noticeably better without the cost of selling my soul to the devil to pay for it, is just another step to perfection for me.

I've heard people recommending the Chord Hugo DAC/Amp, but specific only to the Audeze LCD-X, but I'd much rather go on recommendation from a fellow HIFIMAN 'combo" owner who's already found a "golden" DAC for this awesome rig :cool:

Right then, let's see what Google UK brings up for online vendors of the Hegel hd25....:wink:

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #239 of 259
the hegel hd 25 is not an  inexpensive dac by any means. I paid close to 2900 bucks for mine in Canadian dollars but I had a bis audio usb cable thrown in the mix too. bis audio makes very fine cables. price is 2500 bucks without taxes in us$ for the hd25 brand new.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/equipment-menu/339-hegel-music-systems-hd25-digital-to-analog-converter

it is not a flavor of the month dac. and it sound very good.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #240 of 259
the hegel hd 25 is not an  inexpensive dac by any means. I paid close to 2900 bucks for mine in Canadian dollars but I had a bis audio usb cable thrown in the mix too. bis audio makes very fine cables. price is 2500 bucks without taxes in us$ for the hd25 brand new.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/equipment-menu/339-hegel-music-systems-hd25-digital-to-analog-converter

it is not a flavor of the month dac. and it sound very good.

Looks like hegel have no UK vendors, according to hegels site anyhow.

Gonna email them and request pricing details/availability/whether they can supply a UK compatible volts unit etc - have to wait back from them

It's annoying that the UK seems so lacking in vendors of not just this DAC, but other audio gear I've looked for in the past - I've had to pay a premium before on two different headphones from Japan because they never saw a UK release :mad:

Let's hope hegel can assist - though I doubt they won't - after all, they wouldn't turn custom away - hope not anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back