Review: Headroom's Micro Stack, pure audio bliss.
Feb 12, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #31 of 44
Well...I'm actually curious still. In theory you can connect the USB out of the Creative Zen to the USB in on the DAC, using a USB-B Male/Male cable. Anyone try this or think it will work?

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #35 of 44
Yea maybe. I have an optical out pcdp which I mainly use as part of a portable solution..I was just grasping at straws to somehow make my Zen a little better. At least it has a decent headphone jack.

And in keeping with the topic of this thread. I'm using a micro amp currently and think its a great little component for the money..I'll be adding the DAC to the equation soon, at least for use with my pcdp.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
First off, I absolutely love your review of the stack! However, I have a question; How do the components fare separate from each other? Are the DAC and AMP good standalone products?

I've done a few odd things with the MicroDAC, such as running the output to a Sonic T-amp, through a Stax energizer, to a Sennheiser Orpheus (source was iRiver iHP-140). The MicroDAC sounded excellent in that application. Perhaps not quite as good as a Wadia, but it does cost a bit less
wink.gif
The MicroDAC/Desktop module is my favorite battery-powered amp to date. I normally use it with an iPod or Creative Nomad Zen. Either component is an excellent standalone product.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Some discontinued iRiver models have optical digital output. You may want to get hold of one of those if you are really interested.

Yes, I did exactly that. I bought a little camera bag, and put my Micro Stack and iRiver H120 inside, and got a 6" mini-toslink to connect the iRiver and MicroDac. Works great, but I did read that these iRiver's digital out is not bit-perfect. Supposedly it does some upsampling and also passes through some sort of volume filter. I haven't confirmed this, and I find it a bit strange since the volume controls on the iRiver have no affect on the digital out. But thought I'd mention this because I read it on another thread.

But I grabbed one for $169 on eBay. Only 20gig, and with flac's that's not much. But it's a great companion for the Micro Stack, that's for sure!!!

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #38 of 44
seems everyone uses the 6'' cables which IMO are still too big

I am on the search for something smaller the perfect size from the dac to the amp may have to get it custom.

If anyone knows where I can get something like this send me a PM

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems everyone uses the 6'' cables which IMO are still too big

I am on the search for something smaller the perfect size from the dac to the amp may have to get it custom.

If anyone knows where I can get something like this send me a PM

You can just loop the Cardas once nicely, and it won't get in the way. Also, if you ever try other amps with the combo, the 6" cable can unloop, and reach the other amp you're checking out.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can just loop the Cardas once nicely, and it won't get in the way. Also, if you ever try other amps with the combo, the 6" cable can unloop, and reach the other amp you're checking out.
icon10.gif

yeah, I've seen the Cardas 6'' Mini in pictures with it IMO it still looks too messy this will be for my desktop so I am looking for a very clean look even though the cables are in the front.

I also have to figure out the usb situation I am thinking if there is enough space to put the usb cable in between the micro stack. I wonder if they make flat wide usb cables so I can do that instead of round.

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

...I am on the search for something smaller the perfect size from the dac to the amp may have to get it custom....

I have the 5" Diamond Reference custom mini made by Myo (RnB Audio), who I think started this very thread way back when. Here's a pic of what it looks like with my Micro Stack (just a bigger version of my Avatar pic). Very tidy, I think...and sounds great to boot!

Barry

56225276.jpg

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 5" Diamond Reference custom mini made by Myo (RnB Audio), who I think started this very thread way back when. Here's a pic of what it looks like with my Micro Stack (just a bigger version of my Avatar pic). Very tidy, I think...and sounds great to boot!

Barry

56225276.jpg

I like how much did you get it for?

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Barry

56225276.jpg

it looks soooooooooooooo nice! really great!

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

I like how much did you get it for?

$65 plus shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back