REVIEW: Headamp.com Gilmore V2
Jun 24, 2003 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
front_big.jpg

Introduction

A month or two ago, Antness asked me if I'd like to do some kind of review/audition for the V2 and I jumped at the opportunity. The following is my attempt to describe what I heard over the period of a month or so.

Look and Build

This little amp has caused quite a commotion on this board and when i opened up the box the day it arrived, I instantly understood why. The amp is housed in a heavy black metal enclosure. The face plate has some very tasteful silkscreening on the front of the HeadAmp.com logo and the model name, as well as two sturdy headphone jacks and a large black volume knob centered in the middle. The icing on the cake is a small blue LED light that emits the popular glow that so many DIY amps have these days. Sadly, I was not able to view the true beauty of this amp, as the Demo Unit I was given to review came with a red LED. But it is cool looking nonetheless. The sides of the case are vented, as the amp tends to run warm, but upon closer inspection one can see four small red LED lights through the vents on the left side of the amp's housing. I'm told this is part of the circuit and always has been, but the placement of them near the vent lends to a very cool atmosphere for the amp. It is almost as cool as seeing tubes glowing within an amp. Hey, I said almost didn't I?

Continuing on to the back of the amplifier, we find three sets of RCA jacks, a small silver source input switch, an IEC connector and a small black power switch. This is where I'd like to take the time to point out how well-designed and built this is. The enclosure is tough and sturdy, yet is very appealing to my admittedly stoic taste in aesthetics.

Bells and Whistles

Although this amp has a fairly simple setup as far as the World of Hi-Fi is concerned, it's a bit more complicated than most of the other headphone amplifiers on the market. This amp not only arrives as a fully usable Pre-Amp, it also has two source inputs and a selector switch. This input switch is located on the rear panel of the amplifier and I didn't have any trouble working with it in my setup. However, I have seen plenty of complaints about HeadRoom's more upscale amplifiers having the source selection switch in the back and I can see where some people might have problems with this specific setup. I have no speaker setup, so sadly I was not able to test the pre-amp capabilities of this amp.

Sound

Okay, here it is, the big section. The first words that came to mind when I plugged into this amp were: Dynamic and Punchy! This little amp's sound is truly a giant killer. I couldn't believe the punch and drive every song suddenly had. The amp sounds about as neutral as can be to me and while listening to it, I felt like another open window was added in the chain of my setup. Music came through with such vibrance and consistency. Details scream out at me with such ease. Snare drums pop with a vivacity I am not sure I have ever heard in an amp before.

The decay and attack on this amp are truly impressive. Each note punches its way through the air quickly yet gracefully, while each cymbal shimmers into oblivion afterward. I threw on a few jazz albums I like and I felt close to the performers, but not so close as though i'd interfere with their performance. I heard new conversations in live performances that I hadn't properly understood before. The amps ability to perform the inner detail of recordings is truly impressive.

The mids and bass of this amp have a very crisp presentation to them. Each note is plucked or strummed or snapped or popped with a very clear feeling to it. The bass is tight and clean and doesn't get in the way of the music, but is represented very well. The more I listened to this amp, the tougher time I had switching back to any of my other amps. The sound is so involving and immediate, yet full of grace and air. The overall signature allowed me to enjoy every genre of music I could throw at it from my collection. I really enjoyed listening to the music, while at the same time not being slapped in the face with it; as involving as the amp was, I didn't find it grating or harsh on my ears at all. Overall, I was very enchanted by the signature and presentation of the Gilmore design.

Complaints

Probably my only problem with this amp is how high the gain is on it. As far as I understand, Pre-Amps have a higher gain than most headphones need and this may be the reason for my problem. None of my headphones allowed me to go even near the 9 o'clock mark on the volume knob (starts at 6 o'clock) and this is just a little too high for me. Perhaps my CD Player's 3.0v output had something to do with this, but if it was my amp is would definitely ask to have the gain lowered a bit (which apparently is a somewhat simple feat). Luckily, the pot used for volume is a high-quality one (Alps Blue) and I never had much of a problem with channel mismatch or anything like that. The upgraded model (V2 Max) comes with a stepped attenuator and that's something I'd really like to hear someday. It has been my experience that the addition of a DACT to an amp like this can only improve the sound.

Conclusion

This amp is a giant killer. I haven't ever heard an amp in its price range with such a clear presentation of the music. I would commend anybody who's looking for a great amp to pick one of these up as I am fairly certain it will serve them well for many years. I have held onto this amp for an extra week or two longer than I was supposed to. At first I was easily convincing myself that the reason was simple procrastination about writing a review. But as I started to pack up the amp to ship off, I realized that I just didn't want to let it go. Currently my funds are shifted elsewhere at the moment, otherwise I would most certainly add one of these amps to my setup.

Associated Equipment:
Cary Audio 306/200
Grado HP-1
Grado SR-200
Sennheiser HD600
Etymotic Research ER-4S

Thank You:
Antness (Justin Wilson) of Headamp.com for loaning me the amp for so damn long
the bastards of #headphones for listening to me talk about this amp for so long

[edit]: changed img link to bigger picture (thanks riz!)

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 11
Very good, this amp is on my short list for my next SS amp.

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Still can't wait on those DACTs to come in so I can get my very own. Great review grinch.
-Mag

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Great review, grinch! This makes me damn excited about getting a Gilmore Lite. The Gilmore design sounds truly impressive.

[edit] the pic is much better
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 11
grinch
HI: Great review. I am not a top of the line amp guy because I will only spend so much on a home amp. But I find the V2 all the amp that I will ever need for my source and cans and the great sound that the V2 gives me. It is really nice to not be looking to upgrade my home amp and I hope to keep the V2 for many years to come. I must say that the GILMORE V2 is a great amp and for the money it is a terrific bargain to boot.

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Very nice review, grinch. I would agree with your assessment of the Gilmore V2 almost word for word, chapter and verse. I hope to get a review out one of these days and it will likely sound about the same. I'm trying to get a chance to hear a couple more amps so that I can better put the amp into perspective. The main point that you hit on was how very neutral this amp is and how punchy and detailed it sounds. This amp will sound like whatever source you have behind it. It is especially revealing through the midrange and treble. Everything is colored in some way as the V2 is as well, but it is much less colored than a lot of audio gear I have heard. This isn't really an amp that takes the music and runs it through it's own filters and textures, it really is a pretty clear window that lets the music pass through making system matching a bit more critical. It could be very frustrating to some this level of neutrality who require more color, and again especially if the source is not up to par. But if neutrality is what you're striving for than this amp nearly hits the bullseye. You have some very nice stuff in front of and behind the V2 and I can imagine it sounds awesome! You are likely hearing exactly what your source sounds like especially with the HP-1's because from there the HP-1's and the Gilmore simply let you hear it. I'll bet it is a beautiful sounding system!

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
You are likely hearing exactly what your source sounds like especially with the HP-1's because from there the HP-1's and the Gilmore simply let you hear it. I'll bet it is a beautiful sounding system!

it sounds great right now. pity it's going to break up tomorrow.. but hopefully sometime soon it might be up to this level of performance soon.

system-v2.jpg

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 11
I am also using an HP-2 with the Gilmore and I agree with you guys. It is overall very nuetral but my overall sound is a touch warm with the Rega CD player I am using. The dynamics are awesome. Stringed instruments have a special presence with this amp (piano included). I would love to hear some of Kevin Gilmore's other designs, namely his tube amps. I am dying to try out a tubed headphone amplifier (gotta hear that melos maestrobator one of these days) just to hear what's its like. Also if anyone can comment on the upgraded V2 "Max" I think everyone would love to hear about it.

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Very nice review grinch. Your findings are very close to my own. I will get around to writing up a review shortly, but wow, you really hit it bang on. Nice stuff!

Jun 24, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 11
I agree 100%! all of my sources show there individuality with this amp. It's nuetrality is amazing. The detail it provides is just unbeleivable. The pot is nice and smooth for sure. I'm loving this amp so much that I'm gonna order another one for my bedroom rig. It just has great dynamics, and yes it does show all the weaknesses and strengths of your source. This amp is just outstanding combined with a Philips 963 SA. I would reccomend this amp as truely a diamond in a sea of glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back