Review: Headamp AE-2
Jan 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dreadhead

500+ Head-Fier
Review of the Headamp AE-2 Amplifier

Amplifier Features:
2 inputs (1 RCA, 1 Mini-Plug, each can act as loop out, not preamp)
Single Headphone out
High quality pot for volume control
Rechargable battery that lasts 30 hrs or so (I have not tested)

Headphones Used: Etymotic ER-4P with DIY S converter, HD650

Similar Products Used: Headroom Total Bithead

Sources: Bel Canto DAC3, Creative Zen Vision M

Music:
O Brother Where Are Thou? Soundtrack, Various
In Rainbows, Radiohead
In Between Dreams, Jack Johnson

Introduction:
I bought the AE-2 from Justin at Headamp after hearing from many people that I respect that they loved it as an amplifier and due to the fact that I did not know if I wanted the Pico because I’ve got large hands and it’s a TINY amplifier. According to Justin the Pico and AE-2 have similar topology in the amplifier though not quite the same.

Fit an Finish:
Nothing short of excellent. I now own 2 Headamp products (AE-2, GS-X) and the fit an finish is excellent on both of them. Justin does great work in this regard.

Measurements Etc.:
I have done some actual measurements using a measurement microphone and I’ve at least convinced myself that the AE-2 can drive even the demanding HD650s with aplomb and strength when compared to the GS-X (which costs 6x as much). This review is with my Etymotics though and I don’t have a way to measure them so I’ll just move forward. I'm using the amplifier running off the battery for this review.

Listening:
The AE-2/ER-4s sounds amazing! Flat out amazing. Every detail is there but the sound is so smooth and buttery that it just sounds natural. This means if you’re a person that hears details like a person tapping their foot during a concert then you hear them if you go more for the overall music then you hear that. The AE-2 is highly transparent and essentially if your source puts out the details then it puts out the details. The music just sounds real.

I also compared to my TBH (after volume matching by ear using a 1kHz sine wave) and while very close the AE-2 seems to present a darker background and lower noise floor (no hiss even with my recently sold Shure SE530s) and more control in the bass region of the songs. Also the AE-2 seemed to have a bit more accurate details and imaging, for example in "Down To The River to Pray" by Alison Krauss the choir behind her becomes sharper individual voices and with less haze. Everything pretty much just snaps into focus over the TBH.

Summary:
This is the most capable portable amplifier I have heard and I highly recommend it to people who need enough power to drive hard to drive headphones with good portability. It's a home amp you can take with you!

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 16
The amp is very good. I had it for a while. I compared it to several others back when I had and it was the flavor that I preferred. There was a loaner program that this was done for.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 16
Nice write up. I haven't heard the AE-2 (not that I recall at least) but have heard the Pico and it is an excellent portable amp. Having the RCA's is a nice feature.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 16
nice write up the ae-2 stood head and shoulders above the original ae-1 amp. I really like this amp and if I had need for a portable that could do double duty at home this would be the one.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 16
I spent many months enjoying the AE-2.
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread deserves pics. Here was mine:

2774242310044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

2094006170044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

2684852470044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

2292560470044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 16
The AE-2 is indeed a better sounding unit than the AE-1. But for some reason I found the AE-2 lacking when compared w/ other portable amps. Not a night and day difference but enough to opt for the alternatives. A pity because I really wanted to like the amp since it is built like a tank and it sports 1/8" and RCA inputs.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 16
How does it compare to the Cute Beyond?

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to the Cute Beyond?

What I mean to say is; "hows does the cute beyond compare to these amps, ranking-wise?"

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do RCA inputs on AE-2 offer sonic advantages over similar portables that just have 1/8"? Like the Pico.

I would never claim to hear any sonic advantages using RCA compared to 1/8". The fact is that RCA will give a more secure connection than 1/8". Also consider that most people will already have a high quality RCA cable so no need to buy the additional cable if connecting the amp to a full size CDP component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back