Review: HD650 (From a previous d2000 and md2000 owner)
Sep 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9
Hi all, I recently traded my Markl Modded d2000's for a pair of hd650's this is going to be my comparison between the two (I will not compare to gear I have not owned)

A couple disclaimers, i am a skeptic by nature and have tried to separate myself from the large amount of auto suggestion so that I can remain unbiased and formulate my own opinions instead of having them formulated for me.

Now with that out the way, the MD2000's were a great (and my first) headphones. I had had them for over a year and was looking for something different. 

The first test I did was call my girlfriend on skype. You may be asking why. Well with my MD2000's her voice was sibilant through the skype call. With the hd650's her voice is smooth and like she sounds in real life, with no sibilance (I can finally listen to her talk again
biggrin.gif
) No voice is sibilant in real life, so this to me, is a more accurate and non fatiguing presentation of high-mids. 

Now my first real test with music was some emancipator. The first thing I noticed with the hd650 is how TEXTURED they are, especially in the low range. The low notes no longer sound just like low notes, they sound like they have a sort of texture, and are coming from an actual instrument, instead of a more electronic flat bass note sound. 

As I began to listen more I noticed this across the entire spectrum, compared to the MD2000's there is so much more texture from every note.

The next thing I noticed is that the sound stage is much larger than the MD2000's (possibly because of the hd650's open nature). I feel a lot more like I am actually there, the singer in front of me, performing for me. The sound stage is great, I can pinpoint where sounds are coming from beyond just what driver on the headphone they are coming from, it sounds immersive instead of just left ear right ear.

In terms of SQ these are my observations:

Bass: The MD2000's have powerful impactful bass, however in comparison the bass lacks a lot of texture. The HD650's bass is so textured it is truly a treat to listen to. I also notice how the bass (and other spectrum's) is not fatiguing at all, for some reason after wearing the denons for a few hours, I had to take them off, I couldn't listen anymore, this is not so with the hd650's I can't pinpoint why this is, only that it is so.

Mids: Listening to voices, trumpets, pianos etc, on the HD650's is incredible. The mids on this phone are truly bliss. They are immersing in sound stage, they have so much texture just like the lows. Looking back on my MD2000's music sounded like just notes, sounds reproduced as a note on a spectrum (don't get me wrong they are still great phones, but looking back this is how I feel). With the hd650's they sound so beautifully textured, I don't know how else to put it.

Highs: In comparison, the highs of the hd650 are mellow. This makes my entire music collection listenable again. I noticed with my MD2000's I was heading for the skip button every now and then because of ear grating sibilance with female vocals (and I love female vocals). Especially with Morcheeba and January, 2 great artists which I found hard to listen to with my MD2000's. 

Overall, I absolutely love these headphones, I will say it again and again, textured, textured, textured. They are so mellow, non fatiguing, in my opinion natural (there is a difference between neutral and natural). 

I felt that the md2000's were a good representation of the LA2000's, and with the flaws in the highs, and now (looking back) the lack of texture, and fatiguing nature I am glad I did not continue up the line (how much can wooden cups really change the sound signature, and even If cables did anything, I don't think it could make up for these flaws)

As always take my review with a grain of salt, I try to separate myself from auto suggestion and placebo, this is all from my perspective as best I can. Also I struggle with audiophile semantics, so I apologize If my review wasn't clear or was too repetitive. I will gladly answer any question. 

-A R

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 9
While I'm not a big fan of the HD650, one thing I've come to realize is how natural the sound is. Not "natural" in a stereophile sense, but more in the way it presents organic sounds. Some have criticized the 650's bass; but it captures the reverberations in music as well as I've heard. The bass has texture - something shared with the HD800, which I've been enjoying quite a bit.

One thing you won't get with the HD650 - "ear-grating sibilance."

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Yea I agree, natural not neutral. Sibilance doesn't exist in real life, and therefore should not be reproduced, also bass may be tight and non reverberating on a neutral headphone, but that is not what bass does in real life. 

-A R

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Just wonder how they will sound with a level entry desktop amp!

[Sorry lol but I think you knew it was going to come up eventually.]

Just wait and see how they scale, and you can make them truly high-end. 
devil_face.gif

Nice impressions, it's very much appreciated to see the viewpoints of others!

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Hearing them out of a Eddie Current Balancing Act was mind blowing. The depth to the bass made me freak out. Anyway, yeah they seem to scale rather nicely and are the perfect headphone to ruin your wallet.

Don't forget the sauce source!

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Nice review. I'm perfectly happy with my 650 paired up with the Marantz SACD source and the Ray Samuels Raptor. I want for nothing with this rig and it's my go-to setup for acoustic music, particularly jazz and classical.

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 9
That was one of the many albums I tested it with yes, I do plan on getting a desktop amp and dac to test further, but as I said I am skeptical and will tread my upgrade path very carefully. Blind tests for me are very important, I consider myself to have well trained, young ears, when I get a real amp I will tell you guys of my findings, for now I am absolutely loving this
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

-A R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back