Review: HA5000 redone? "Clarity"'s first impression (full review coming up)
Oct 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
A new amp arrived at my doorstep again, so I guess its review time again. I will try to write up more later on; university life is hitting me hard at the moment. The maker claims its design is very similar to the HA5000 and uses the same output FETs as the HA5000, how can I miss something like that as an AT fan.

Internal picture from the maker:

Phones used: AD1000PRM, A950LTD, W1000X, 880 600Ohm, Edition 8, SA5000
Amps used: Clarity, Yamamoto HA-02
Source: Essence ST, Cambridge Audio CD player, iPod Touch Line-Out (sorry haven’t got anything better that I can move)

Exterior look and feel:

The one thing you first notice is the weight of the unit, while being small, it sure weights a bit for its size.  The panel are rather thick aluminium plates; the volume knob is made of solid aluminium too. Everything feels strong and well built. Oh yes, I do like the blue halo power button too…

First impressions:

The immense speed of the amp first hit me hard, every beats hits hard and not missing anything at all. Compared to the HA-02, it has a bigger bass impact, and it really does bring out the background at the same time. I am hearing stuff I have never heard from that song before but more I listen more I found out it not all good after all. The elevated speed makes some slower songs sounds somewhat strange, it feels a bit ‘forceful’ if I need to find a word to describe it. And the bass response is so quick, there is nearly not much bass decay which you normally heard. I would say this is not the perfect amp for the ones who love slower songs, but it does suits electronics like a dream.  

When I moved to using the W1000X, it seems rather clear why there is not much bass decay. The closed feeling wearing them is gone, it actually sounds very opened to me. The bass is not too fast nor too slow, everything seems to be at the right place and the right time. Maybe its still a bit fast on some song, but it does sounds very good. If I need to say anything here, this amp matches the W1000X far better than my AD1000PRM for sure.

With the Edition 8, the Ed8 itself is already a pretty fast phone, when paired with this amp its very fun to listen to. The soundstage is wide and open, the bass hits HARD and respond very quickly while it is very fast, it sounds rather natural and surprisingly pleasant to listen to.  It sounds extremely good with fast electronic music and fast rock, it has so much energy in it, seems like listening to coffee to me. (Please do not mind the strange analogy that I made)
SA5000 with this amp is not really a good match, the bass is somewhat lacking along with the elevated treble, it sounds unnatural with the vocal. The impact is still here, but the vocal is what I felt it’s a bit strange, it sounds rather cold.

The DT800 600Ohm is a bit of some kind of fun test, but it sounds very nice paired with it. With a touch less bass and very fast response, the amp designed to drive low ohm Audio Technica seems to be able to drive it to respectable level.

Overall:

Great details retrieval, Very crisp and airy treble, extremely fast response, respectable and natural soundstage, hard hitting bass with low bass decay. 
Sounds great with fast music and closed phones. Simple yet clean design.

Compared to the HA-02, the HA-02 is a smoother sounding amp, with good soundstage and details. While the Clarity is faster and more exciting sounding than the HA-02, but listening to HA-02 with more relaxing music is a very nice experience. Depends what you looking for you may want one or the other. I was actually surprised at the overall detail of the HA-02 being rather good, better than I was expected.

Will post more as I listen to it further more.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Nah, I just bought this one, its totally different to the one I reviewed ages ago.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Updated.

The maker posted some RMAA test, seems pretty trustable and realistic results.

Frequency response

Noise level

Dynamic range

THD + Noise (at -3 dB FS)

Intermodulation distortion

Stereo crosstalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back