Review: Grover/Wolff Empress Interconnects
Nov 2, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 65
Thanks for the hard work. A really well-worded review.

Considering your cable history, can I presume that you like this cable more than your active Aural Thrills or the Cardas NR?

Seems like a really nice cable.

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 65
Gentlemen........another pair of Empress ICs are ordered so I can have complete chain of Empress from:

CDP -> Preamp -> Amp

Reading over the the Wolff website about his carbon fiber AC cords may give us some insight as to why everyone comments on the smooth nature of sound produced by Empress ICs. According to this site various RFI distortions that effect metal conductors are not present in carbon fiber, these can manifest themselves as grain, glare, smearing etc.

Anyway the effect from one pair of Empress was compelling.......I have to hear complete chain of Empress cables
tongue.gif

(this may eventually mean speaker cables as well)

Biggie
Wolff Source AC cord would worth me trying (I use VD Nite currently for CDP)
But to budget my limited resources I will go with Empress ICs first.

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 65
Wow, look forward to your thoughts DA. when I strike gold, I may actually do the same and use my preamp and heamp together (rather than keeping the pre out of the loop ATM)

Gopher, hows the review coming?
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 65
I am going to make wild guess and say Wolffy is cable guru Mike Wolff.
tongue.gif

I would be interested in your explanation as to why the Empress IC design has extremely smooth grain free sound vs other cables? Perhaps Grover can also post some thoughts here.

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolffy
A used Carbon Ribbon Source cord - $375 on Audiogon

For those that may be interested

Best Regards,

Not anymore there isn't. I snagged/will be sending out payment tomorrow. I sort of wish these recent upgrades weren't so dramatic. I was starting to get over my obsessive upgrading.

Nov 4, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

I would be interested in your explanation as to why the Empress IC design has extremely smooth grain free sound vs other cables?

DA,
Well, I think most of it is luck. The reality of it is that Grover and I were thrown together quiet by accident thanks to a reviewer from Positive Feedback.com.
I had been previously involved only with power cords in using the combination of what I felt were the correct composition, shape and gauge of metal conductors along with the same in carbon conductors.
In addition shielding was very very important. Simply, because numerous attempts by manufacturer's had resulted in power cords which rolled off the top end to avoid the "hash".
So I started experimenting with shielding my IC's and speaker cables at home. Noticed that there were improvements, next thing I know is I have grover's IC's and speaker cables in my hands and we are experimenting with them. The results were where we are now.
Grover would have to add his twenty cents. I know that he has done a ton of different experiments with different metals and configurations, just as I.

Nov 5, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Thanks for the hard work. A really well-worded review.

Considering your cable history, can I presume that you like this cable more than your active Aural Thrills or the Cardas NR?

Seems like a really nice cable.

Yes I like the empress cable the best. The CNR is not even close to being as good as the other two cables. The improvement in cables over the past 2 years has left the CNR's in the dust.

Biggie.

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolffy
Grover would have to add his twenty cents. I know that he has done a ton of different experiments with different metals and configurations, just as I.

So...how much do the cables cost to manufacture BTW?

EDIT: That seems a bit rude. Everyone deserves a fair profit from their efforts. And at $350 the mark-up is not nearly as astronomical as many competitors. But the cable market having the most exaggerated profit margins sometimes, has me conditioned to perceive the worst.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 65
Bumpies

OK I am awaiting my 2nd pair of Empress ICs to arrive, so things are on hold currently.......just listening to music.

I did sell a pair of AP Solo Crystal ICs to offset cost of Empress ICs. I have owned these AP cables for several years, but am under the spell of new Empress ICs and thier seductive ultra smooth sweet sound.

Gopher, did your phono cables arrive yet? Keep us posted on the Wolff AC cord also.

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #26 of 65
DA,

They hit a minor snag before (which is a good thing, probably means they're doing some good business), but my phono ICs are set to arrive on monday. I'm very excited for it. My gf is in town for the week so we'll probably spend some time in the listening room spinning vinyl.

As for the wolff source cord... I'm not really sure what the status is there. The guy I'm buying them from is a bit curt in communications. I'm sure, based on his feedback, that he will send it out in a timely fashion though. Hopefully it will arrive in the next week or so.

---

Has anyone ordered speaker cables? I was gonna work on freeing some funds for them, but was advised to hold off for a couple of weeks by the man himself.

Oh well, I already love the SR speaker cable. I guess theres no real rush and they're certainly not the weakest link of my system (unico is).

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROB968323
I should have speaker cables and ICs arriving this week!
cool.gif

What cables are you using now?

(When you have time it is helpful to list your current system in profile so members learn more, helps with discussions like this.)

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #29 of 65
DA,

Right now I'm using cheapo Sound King speaker cable. This was temporary to break-in my speakers. I did try a set of Kubala/Sosna cables(middle of their line) and was not that impressed with them. I'll be using one Empress IC to replace my Glass Toslink. The Empress speaker cables will replace the Sound Kings. I also ordered Empress jumpers to replace the brass jumpers on my Salk Sound Veracity speakers.

I updated my profile.

Rob

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 65
Rob.......keep us posted on your findings, now we have better picture with your profile info.

Don't know anything about Kubala Sosna cables (other than buzz at Audiogon) but I think you will be very impressed with Empress.

Have you tried any ugraded AC cords?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back