REVIEW: Grover Ultimate Reference Interconnects
Aug 25, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #106 of 184
Well, another mystery IC has arrived too. First impression very favorable. This may delay the UR3 comments even further...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #107 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
Got my UR3's a couple of days ago. Beautiful sounding cable, and well made as well. Thanks you guys for the lowdown!

There is of course no direction arrow on these later versions; I assume as long as you use the cable in the same orientation each time they should be fine (I let the signal run in the direction of the "Grover" letters).

No arrows but you will notice that shrink tube label is closer to one end with the lettering also pointing to that end........I would just use that as signal output end whenever you move ICs, also you could put your own removeable tag/label to clearly establish direction when cables are moved.

The FryKleaner has proven to be extremely effective tweak device and very cost effective, it has become essential item in my cable collection.

Aug 27, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #108 of 184
how do you know what version you are receiving if the ur3 look the same as the ur2?

i ordered UR2 three weeks ago and havnt received anything yet, i just read that grover is away untill september first, should i expect the ur3 instead?

AHHHH i cant wait
580smile.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #109 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Well, another mystery IC has arrived too. First impression very favorable. This may delay the UR3 comments even further...
evil_smiley.gif

I bet I know what the "mystery" cable is.......if it is what I suspect, then we have discussed another previous IC model and AC cords by Mr X
k1000smile.gif

Mr X makes fine products at higher price point so we should start another thread for his cable line when the secret is revealed.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #111 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
how do you know what version you are receiving if the ur3 look the same as the ur2?

i ordered UR2 three weeks ago and havnt received anything yet, i just read that grover is away untill september first, should i expect the ur3 instead?

AHHHH i cant wait
580smile.gif

Yep, Grover is a perfectionist and will only sell his best design to date.

Biggie.

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #112 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Yep, Grover is a perfectionist and will only sell his best design to date.

Biggie.

I second that - when I sent in my UR1s expecting UR2s in return, he actually informed me that he would be delaying shipping so that I would receive UR3s instead. Grover is a class act imo.
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #113 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
I second that - when I sent in my UR1s expecting UR2s in return, he actually informed me that he would be delaying shipping so that I would receive UR3s instead. Grover is a class act imo.
cool.gif

thats probiby why my order has taken so long to ship too. no complaints if the UR3 arrive instead.

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #114 of 184
Any more UR3 or UR2 impressions?

I have some Cryo treated UR1 back and on FryKleaner now cooking away.......be very interesting to hear what fully tweaked out Cryo/FryKleaned Grover UR1 sounds like
k1000smile.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #115 of 184
After a little over a week with my new Grovers, I'm thrilled beyond my wildest dreams
icon10.gif

I had been intending to biwire my speakers, combining the UR cables with the SR's I already have. Unfortunately, I broke one of the SR connections within minutes of trying to connect it (very small holes, and no room to move!!), and now need to wait for Grover to fix it. In the meantime, though, the UR speaker cables by themselves are a great improvement over the SR's (which are no slouches!). The realism is breath-taking, and the bass, in particular, is spectacular!!
tongue.gif
It goes down really deep, but is tight, true, and resonant to the bones!

Also, I haven't heard much talk about Grover's digital cables, but thought I'd try one. The results have been unbelievable!!!
icon10.gif
Both my computer music and my PC player (via my Classe Audio DAC-1 & Stealth, now sound incredible. Up until now, I haven't really gotten to put my Stealth to the test, but with Grover's assistance, it really shines (both through my speakers, and my Grado SR325's -- with the Grados, I've even re-replaced my pads with the bowls!). And for those of you thinking of using the digital out on your computer to connect to an external DAC (rather than a USB connection), streaming audio never sounded better!!
icon10.gif

More results, as I continue to hear them
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
. . . .

Sep 1, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #116 of 184
they sound good. some sibilance i experienced with some songs with the UR1 is now gone.

fwiw, from memory, the UR3 seems marginally more flexible than the UR1.

Sep 1, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #118 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
In the meantime my other Grover UR3 pair has broken in a couple days with just music and I have a handle on it.

Let start by saying the UR2 was not really working too well for my taste, and cannot really say it was improvement vs UR1 in my system. The UR2 has a warmer fuller sound but also softer focus and less finely detailed and by comparison sounded less transparant vs UR1. Some peoples taste prefer this golden softer tone especially if they are trying to tonal shift existing system sound......so keep that in mind.

The UR3 sounds like an evolution of UR1 with some subtle improvements or refinements, it is more detailed and faster sounding vs UR2 which I like. The soundstage produced was larger and more holographic a sure sign that subtle details are revealed that were not able to be resolved before. I am very happy with Grover's latest UR3 so far and feel it is equal or slightly better in every respect to UR1 while somehow sounding just a touch more naturally refined, it is very exciting to hear such a detailed realistic soundstage created in front of you that sound so natural........I will continue my experiments with cryo processing and Frykleaner treatment, will update as things develop, life is good, Grover has taken me a step closer to absolute sound
tongue.gif

Well I returned my UR2 to Grover being fully satisfied that UR3 are better in my systems, if you need a cable that is slightly tonally rich and warm you may like the UR2 better.......but I find the greater detail of UR1 & UR3 work best for me.

As said before the UR3 sounds like direct evolution of UR1, same family sound and tonality but just slightly more natural sounding while retaining same level of fine detail retrieval. For people who found UR1 just a touch thin or bright the UR3 could be just what you are looking for......although I thought the UR1 was close to neutral sounding myself.

I mentioned before FryKleaner treatment extends/refines Grover capabilities further and is essential tweak for my ICs, also can report that Grovers IC design responds very well to cryo processing. My UR1 cables that are FryKleaned & Cryo processed have now surpassed the stock UR3 (much to my delight) so you know what is the next step for my UR3s ........
k1000smile.gif

Doc
No reason to hesitate for $140 pair, ask Grover about trail period if you are not sure

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #119 of 184
grover sent me email today formally telling me of his vacation. to my delight he also said the UR3 is shipping instead of the UR2.

im tempted to order vhaudio pulsar for comparison, does anyone have impressions of these two? i need order another powercord anyway and the opportunity to combine shipping cost always weakens my willpower.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #120 of 184
Grover UR4
Since Grover has returned from vacation he has developed a newer IC design, the Grover UR4. All I know is that is has more silver content and more variation of wire guages vs past UR designs, here are photos:

UR4 -1
UR4 - 2

Also notice Grover is now ending the confusion of which model IC you own by marking next to his signature (Not sure why it says U4, perhaps not enough room?) I have cooked some for 48hrs on FryKleaner and will give serious listen today on stereo system (not headphones).

This constant upgrading may seem confusing and a bit frustrating but remember Grover offers very good deal to upgrade old cables to newer models and charges low price for purchase of new cables.......
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back