REVIEW: Grover Ultimate Reference Interconnects
Aug 17, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #91 of 184
DarkAngel:

No worries. Great minds think alike!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
WK
Thanks for info on your FryKleaner findings.........I see from profile we have some common gear: Tyler speakers, Grover cables, Audio Mirror Dac, Stereovox HDXV etc.

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #92 of 184
My $159 FryKleaner arrived today and is busy cooking a UR3 cable pair.

In the meantime my other Grover UR3 pair has broken in a couple days with just music and I have a handle on it.

Let start by saying the UR2 was not really working too well for my taste, and cannot really say it was improvement vs UR1 in my system. The UR2 has a warmer fuller sound but also softer focus and less finely detailed and by comparison sounded less transparant vs UR1. Some peoples taste prefer this golden softer tone especially if they are trying to tonal shift existing system sound......so keep that in mind.

The UR3 sounds like an evolution of UR1 with some subtle improvements or refinements, it is noticeably more detailed and faster sounding vs UR2 which I like. The soundstage produced was larger and more holographic a sure sign that subtle details are revealed that were not able to be resolved before. I am very happy with Grover's latest UR3 so far and feel it is equal or slightly better in every respect to UR1 while somehow sounding just a touch more naturally refined, it is very exciting to hear such a detailed realistic soundstage created in front of you that sound so natural........I will continue my experiments with cryo processing and Frykleaner treatment, will update as things develop, life is good, Grover has taken me a step closer to absolute sound
tongue.gif

FYI - I do not use headphones to evaluate cables as they are severely limited in 3D soundstage reproduction, so keep that in mind......my stereo systems are listed in profile

Aug 20, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #93 of 184
Guy's I'm leaving Aug 21 on my annual mountaineering expedition, so I'll be away from my computer until Sep.1. Therefore I'll be unable to respond to e-mail until then. Hopefully I'll be back.

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #94 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by grover
Guy's I'm leaving Aug 21 on my annual mountaineering expedition, so I'll be away from my computer until Sep.1. Therefore I'll be unable to respond to e-mail until then. Hopefully I'll be back.

all the best grover!
smily_headphones1.gif

have fun, be careful and thanks for being a real pleasure to correspond and deal with!
biggrin.gif

[and double thanks for shipping my cables out before your expedition..
wink.gif
]

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #96 of 184
Although right now I prefer the UR3 & UR1 to the UR2 as mentioned above, I will put pair of UR2 on the FryKleaner and see if I can unlock some additional detail while retaining the warmer tonal balance before I completely give up on them.

Sounds like Grover is off on a spiritual pilgrimage to meditate with the audio gods for inspiration of the ultimate cable.......UR4?????

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #97 of 184
Quote:

Although right now I prefer the UR3 & UR1 to the UR2 as mentioned above, I will put pair of UR2 on the FryKleaner and see if I can unlock some additional detail while retaining the warmer tonal balance before I completely give up on them.

I will have to re-evaluate my impressions of UR2 after FryKleaner processing, has unlocked some additional detail from cable to make it more competitive with UR1/UR3......will post more soon. Here is pair of UR3 getting 48hr FryKleaner treatment:

FryKleaner

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #98 of 184
DarkAngel:

If you don't already have some, you should pick up some female RCA-to-RCA adapters. Then you can hook up muliple pairs of interconnects (or coax digital cable) in series for cooking/burning. It makes things alot more efficient.

Cheers,
Dennis

Quote:

I will have to re-evaluate my impressions of UR2 after FryKleaner processing, has unlocked some additional detail from cable to make it more competitive with UR1/UR3......will post more soon. Here is pair of UR3 getting 48hr FryKleaner treatment:

FryKleaner

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #99 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by WK446
DarkAngel:
If you don't already have some, you should pick up some female RCA-to-RCA adapters. Then you can hook up muliple pairs of interconnects (or coax digital cable) in series for cooking/burning. It makes things alot more efficient.
Cheers,
Dennis

OK sounds good, trip to local Radio Shack should produce adapter needed, then let the assembly line begin!
biggrin.gif

(I only have a few more pair of ICs but why waste time
tongue.gif
)

Aug 24, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #100 of 184
A couple of days ago, my arsenal of Grover cables (coaxial-digital, regular analog IC's, and speaker) arrived here like the Cavalry, to bring my dormant system to life. For better or worse, I'm burning them in the old-fashioned way (by playing them!), but the preliminary results are in: Stunning!!
tongue.gif

Over the last several months, thanks to a healthy tax refund
wink.gif
, I was able to make a number of major upgrades to my system -- all through used equipment purchases. From fellow Head-fi'er ted_b, I bought a Stealth headamp/preamp, and off of Audiogon, a Classe Audio DAC-1, as well as a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. As wonderful as these acquisitions were, however, up until now, I was unable to take full advantage of their sound-enhancing capabilities.

Enter Grover. . .
icon10.gif

I've been using Grover cables for over a year now, starting with the beginning of the SR series, and have been a true believer for awhile. With each upgrade, there have been marked improvements, and so, my expectations for the new UR's were quite high. Still, as I write this, after only partial burn-in, what I hear sounds incredibly wonderful, and I'm thrilled with the level of clarity and realism!! At first, things sounded good and all, but at about the 18 hour mark, things really started to gel. These cables are ridiculously good!!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
eek.gif

As far as the speakers go, I was planning on bi-wiring, using the SR cables for the hi end, and the UR's for the lo one, as Grover suggested. Unfortunately, in the process of trying to get all those wires into the little holes on my amplifier, I tore one of the connections loose on the SR's, and will need to have Grover fix it.
blink.gif
In the meantime, however, the UR's by themselves sound fantastic, especially in the bass, which is deep and strong, yet tight and defined. I can hardly wait to hear the full bi-wire set-up!
tongue.gif

Now, as for headphones, I have only my meager Grado SR325's to offer for analysis, but what a difference so far!!
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, thanks to my now, Grover-equipped Stealth, I have, at least for now, replaced my Todd flat-pads with the bowl pads I started with. As a result, I now hear all the hi's, but without the harshness, I would otherwise get. And the bass is deeper and airier, with much more resonance. Amazing!
cool.gif

Another great development is with my digital audio sounds (i.e., CD player & PC), as assisted by my now, Grover-equipped Classe Audio DAC-1. As far as the computer, I like to listen to broadband streaming audio. With the DAC-1, there is a vast improvement over what I got from my E-MU 1212m soundcard, making live music sound amazing! With my CD-player, using it as a transport for the DAC-1, especially with its HDCD capabilities, things are even more refined than with the CD-player alone (which also sounds great!).

My third source is my modified Yamaha T-85 AM-FM tuner, complete with rooftop antenna. The Stealth had already catapulted the sound upward to audiophile dimensions, but assisted by the Grover UR's (by the way, based on when he actually sent them to me, I assume they're UR-3's, but Grover didn't actually say), the music sounds awesome (I've already run out of audio superlatives!. . .

Again, things are still burning in, and these are only preliminary impressions. With all of the cabling involved, it will undoubtedly take a lot more listening before things get just right. It's a grueling job, but someone's got to do it!!
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #101 of 184
My UR3s have arrived.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #104 of 184
Got my UR3's a couple of days ago. Beautiful sounding cable, and well made as well. Thanks you guys for the lowdown!

There is of course no direction arrow on these later versions; I assume as long as you use the cable in the same orientation each time they should be fine (I let the signal run in the direction of the "Grover" letters).

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #105 of 184
Quote:

Hey Mark.........isn't it time for full update on UR3 vs UR2?

Hi DA. Still on the hunt for suitable AC cables. I've just ordered yet another set.
rolleyes.gif
Fingers crossed. As soon as I get that nailed, I'll do the follow-up. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back