REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1
Mar 15, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #106 of 133
I've put my order in for the Petite, but I was wondering what mini-mini cable do you guys recommend for the Petite and a sony A818? I've read that the volume knob is in an awkward location so I want to make sure that I buy the right kind of cable... and I'm hoping I don't have to spend all that much for one...

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #108 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as you don't use
canare f12 or something
that big, you are good to go.

i'll be honest, since i'm completely new to headphone amps i actually don't even know where to begin to look
confused.gif

(i like this price)
HeadRoom 4 Inch Mini to Mini @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

vs

(i like this quality)
Products

am i in the right boat?

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #109 of 133
headroom should be fine.
i don't know about the
ibasso product.
but i think you'll be fine...

i took out the volume control
in order to put my canare f12
input.
but i couldn't plug in any
headphone plug after that...
everything is about challenges.
give it a try.
great amp btw!

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #110 of 133
anything with a SMALL plug is good. I.E. the size of a radio shack mini-mini cable is good. Switchcrafts are are about as large as you can get because the edge rests on the volume knob. If the plug turns, so does the volume, so it's not good.

Just get something with a Neutrik mini plug, or, that headroom one works.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #111 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidda89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Future/Current Go-Vibe Petite owner take note that the rechargeable battery needs to be at least 850 mAh or else the amp won't run, at all.

Thanks for my stupidity now I got 4 useless AAA batteries.
tongue.gif

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. What does mAh ratings have to do with running the amp? Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are 1.2V and mAh ratings just reflect capacity.

Or do you mean you tried putting in non-rechargeables?

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #112 of 133
just got the petite and i am completely in love with it and can't stop listening to it, but i was wondering why it came with a default of high gain? isn't low gain ideal for IEMs and earphones? even in the manual it is called a "earphone amplifier"...

also, why exactly is low gain considered to be better for IEMs?

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #113 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got the petite and i am completely in love with it and can't stop listening to it, but i was wondering why it came with a default of high gain? isn't low gain ideal for IEMs and earphones? even in the manual it is called a "earphone amplifier"...

also, why exactly is low gain considered to be better for IEMs?

IEM are usually very efficient, so low gain is to avoid blowing your ears out, giving you more range on the volume knob, and lowering the amount of hiss and noise from the source which is amplified.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #114 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM are usually very efficient, so low gain is to avoid blowing your ears out, giving you more range on the volume knob, and lowering the amount of hiss and noise from the source which is amplified.

thanks for the clear explanation.

i have another question. i'm now realizing that the line-out from my sony vaio pocket sounds a lot better with the petite rather than coming from the (flat EQ) headphone out from my beloved A818. the thing is, as much as i love my vaio pocket it's navigation is atrocious, especially now that it's old and even more laggy than ever.

so i'm considering a used 4G imod, but i'm wondering how much better it will sound with the petite versus my computer with the petite (obviously using the usb cable)?

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #115 of 133
How is this little guy's DAC ability compared to other "amp + USB DAC" combos such as Pico, Predator, 2move, etc.

I am planning on getting a Pico to use it as a USB DAC/preamp to feed my Gilmore Lite and Little-Dot MK IV SE by using a mini-to-RCA interconnect. I've read/seen many people doing this with great results.
Now I am wondering if Go-Vibe Petite DAC/amp can give me similar results as Pico or Predator does.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #116 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. What does mAh ratings have to do with running the amp? Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are 1.2V and mAh ratings just reflect capacity.

Or do you mean you tried putting in non-rechargeables?

Doesn't make any sense to me. It could be 200mA and while they wouldn't last very long the full charge would still be around 1.4 volts to drop to around 1.28 pretty fast but the mA is going to change whether it will work or not unless there aren't any. :^)

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #117 of 133
Hello all,

I have been diving in to the portable scene here, and I must say my head is exploding (in a good way). I think I have decided to go for the Petite as my amp/DAC. but I have a couple of questions:

A little background - I will be using this primarily for my iPod and laptop, both for music (primarily) and video on the laptop while travelling. I have just purchased Senn HD25-1 II's for the excellent isolation in the noisy environs. I may also use it for audio from the laptop at work.

1. Has anyone used the Senn - petite combo? and what do you think? It seems like the impedence is a good match for this amp. However, I'm new to both products, as well as new in this arena of audio nirvana.

2. Has anyone bought from Soundcat USA? They purport to be a qualified dealer for go-vibe. If not, the actual purchase procedure from Jaben is escaping me (may just be too long a day
tongue.gif
) and any help would be appreciated.

edit: I just spotted a reference to unclewilsons superstore on the ebay listing for Soundcat, so I guess they are affiliated with Jaben. would love to get some confirmation of this though.

Thanks for any info, in advance,

-Rat

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #119 of 133
Hi, all.
I have a new extra Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP.
Actually I bought 2 of them.
One is for me and another is for my brother, but he bought another amp. LOL.
I would like to sell one of them. Never use it.
Anyone interested in, let me know.
Sorry for posting this message here, but I don't enough point to use SALE section.
Thanks all.

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #120 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by coors68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, all.
I have a new extra Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP.
Actually I bought 2 of them.
One is for me and another is for my brother, but he bought another amp. LOL.
I would like to sell one of them. Never use it.
Anyone interested in, let me know.
Sorry for posting this message here, but I don't enough point to use SALE section.
Thanks all.

That's intended for you to make 50 valuable contributions to the knowledge base of the head-fi community, before you get the privilege of selling here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back