REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1
Jun 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #122 of 133
hi, anyone of u find that the beyer dt770/80 pro's volume is still not high enough on the govibe petite even when set to high-gain, i'm using this connected to the pc's usb port and the pc music player vol set to almost max, and the govibe's vol also turned till bout 5-o'clock direction already but the vol i'm getting from the 80ohms beyer is bout 3/4 loudness of what i normally listen to

....but saying that i also think that the 80ohms beyer are quite hard to drive too even without amp, becoz when i plug it directly to my audigy2zs soundcard i have to set the system volume to Maximum and the various pc's music players like winamp..etc's volume to bout 3/4 high before i can hear the volume that i normally hear which is bout 50% of system volume and 30-40% music player....

...or am i listening to it too loudly? lol

but overall i'm quite impressed by the govibe petite, it does make the music sound fuller, and increases the soundstage by quite abit, definitely a good 'cheaper' option for driving lower impedance headphones

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #123 of 133
I would like to hear how the petite compares to other portable amps driving the bigger high impedance cans. It seems to me it is a clear winner. Nobody has posted any bad remarks specifically about sound quality.

Has somebody compared it to the Predator yet??

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #124 of 133
I'm fairly new to this, and am wondering if an HD580 would perform better on high or low gain with the Petite.

What's the difference between the two gains? When do you use one or the other?

Thanks everyone!

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #126 of 133
after extensive use of my petite with my new AKG k271s (55 ohms, but very hard to drive properly due to its sensitivity), as well as my HD 650s,i have come to the conclusion that the petite SHINES with low impedance phones and iems, but is only so-so with high impedance and sensitive phones.

For example, i compared my 271s with MAX volume over my 5.5 ipod, and MAX volume over the Petite (playing Khachaturian Violin Concertos and Lil Wayne's new album), and I dont think I heard a significant difference in volume or SQ. However, using my akg k81 djs (MUCH easier to drive) and doing the same thing, the petite at around 3 o clock showed SIGNIFICANT differences in bass response, soundstage, and overall depth over the ipod headphone out. Same with my sr60s, night and day differences between unamped and amped.

I agree that the Petite is indeed the Tomahawk killer, in that for low impedance phones and iems, it is a great, if not one of the greatest performers, in the portable headamp biz. Just dont expect similar stellar performance up the HP impedance chain, however.

Now i have to find decent portable amplification for my 271s, as they are my current workplace phones (after experiencing its lush midrange, i cant return to my k81djs, my former office weapon of choice)

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #127 of 133
I use it through LOD and the output power is much better/higher than through hp output, however I do not have any high impedance phones to try. But even then, Petite performances are way better, using LOD, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after extensive use of my petite with my new AKG k271s (55 ohms, but very hard to drive properly due to its sensitivity), as well as my HD 650s,i have come to the conclusion that the petite SHINES with low impedance phones and iems, but is only so-so with high impedance and sensitive phones.

For example, i compared my 271s with MAX volume over my 5.5 ipod, and MAX volume over the Petite (playing Khachaturian Violin Concertos and Lil Wayne's new album), and I dont think I heard a significant difference in volume or SQ. However, using my akg k81 djs (MUCH easier to drive) and doing the same thing, the petite at around 3 o clock showed SIGNIFICANT differences in bass response, soundstage, and overall depth over the ipod headphone out. Same with my sr60s, night and day differences between unamped and amped.

I agree that the Petite is indeed the Tomahawk killer, in that for low impedance phones and iems, it is a great, if not one of the greatest performers, in the portable headamp biz. Just dont expect similar stellar performance up the HP impedance chain, however.

Now i have to find decent portable amplification for my 271s, as they are my current workplace phones (after experiencing its lush midrange, i cant return to my k81djs, my former office weapon of choice)

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #128 of 133
Hi guys haha forgot to post after I got it as promised. Sry (I can't remember which page.....)

The Go-Vibe is simply just beats anything around that price range. If youre looking for something better heres how big the jump is after I compared many amps in my opinion

According to Sound Quality

1)Graham Voyager (although i havn't tried but by reviews wins hands down)

2) Iqube - Simply amazing

3) Hornet - Very very nice soundstage compared to the govibe

4) Go - Vibe Pettie

Though theres one irritating thing though is that I can't seem to put the merge the Ipod and the amp together no matter how hard i try, theyre just different sizes and don't fit in my pocket nicely. Something nice to fit with the ipod would be the IQube or the Voyager.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #129 of 133
Of the three phones I own, I would say I am most impress with the Petite/Denon C751 combination which produce an exciting involving listening experience. Also good, was the Petite/ATh W5000 but less impressive was the Petite/Senn HD595.

Portable Setup: Zen Sleek -- Cardas Mini -- Go-Vibe Petite -- Denon C751
Home Setup: Dell XPS -- MHDT Labs Paradisea+ DAC --Darkvoice THA332 Amp -- ATH W5000/Senn HD595

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #130 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how the petite compares to the 2move or the new D2 boa from ibasso?

Thanks.

Same here..

i want to know which one is better.

Boa has a Gain switch so good for high impedance upgrade later.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #131 of 133
Well i tried Petite today ..

personally i didnt like it...its on the bright side. ..although i really admire the punch it adds to the bass.

but for me it didnt work..

is Boa more balanced & smoother?

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #132 of 133
I have used them with a number of IEMS and big cans and would not characterize them as having any tendency to brightness. Were they broken in?

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #133 of 133
Hi guys

I am considering buying this govibe amp+dac. I have several questions regarding this

1. Does this DAC will improve my laptop based sound significantly? The files are flac/ape and my headphone is sr60i
2. When I tap the output from govibe while it is being connected to my laptop using usb, it will not use the internal soundcard from my laptop right?

thank you guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back