Review, Future Sonics Atrios: Comparison between different tips
Apr 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #121 of 237
Quote:
This surprises me, as the Shure Olives do nothing for me aside from mushing up the sound. I just assumed the Comply (T-100's?) would do the same. Have you ever used Shure Olive foamies, or have any comments on the differences between the two tips? I have have Comply T-400's for my HJE900's which, while they work nicely on those phones, seem to wear out much faster.

I'm actually mostly new to IEMs so the only tips I have are the stock tips and the T-100's. I think I should mention that I don't know I'd necessarily be able to pick out that perceived smoothness in an A/B with music, especially with that massively distracting mountain of a peak I hear, but in listening to a sine sweep the difference was rather dramatic. I plan to do some more back and forth comparisons soon.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, but do we know if Future Sonics would make their custom sleeve to fit other IEMs?

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #122 of 237

Quote:
Just sent my impression molds to get the custom sleeves.  Between the EM that I own, the Atrio is the most fun by far.

I guess the SofterWear Sleeves is a good investment if you love the Atrios sound signature and are not happy with the eartips they came with for whatever reason.

Also I was assured by Dayna that the SofterWear Sleeves will work on future generations of Atrios since the Atrios' nozzle will never change.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #123 of 237
I for one am a fan for the Atrio driver.  I had the predecessor EM3 that I got for cheap, and was able to return and purchase the Atrio for $99.  My birthday is late summer, so I'm seriously thinking about mg6pro.  But, then there's the UM Merlin hybrid with 4 BA drivers, and 1 dynamic.  The price is about the same even with the 15% discount, but I'm waiting on actual ownership impressions before handing over $800 of blood, sweat, and tears.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547641/unique-melody-merlin-5-driver-custom-hybrid-quad-ba-dynamic-driver

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #124 of 237
Just got my Atrio M5's today.  Fit is a pain - all the stock tips basically suck.  I wish I could use my Sony Hybrids but unfortunately it seems like they will not fit.  I have a Klipsch S4 and tried those tips as well but they do not really fit onto the tube of the Atrio securely either. 

Maybe I will try these Shure EATFL1-6 Triple Flange Sleeves.... how is the SQ on them?

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #125 of 237
You want tips with larger sound holes. This means the tip maybe too big for the nozzle. However you can rip the clear tube out of the stock foams and use those as adapters to fit the Sony Hybrids onto.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #126 of 237
Quote:
You want tips with larger sound holes. This means the tip maybe too big for the nozzle. However you can rip the clear tube out of the stock foams and use those as adapters to fit the Sony Hybrids onto.

WOW.  Great tip.  Just tried this mod and it makes the fit and SQ soooo much better.  I can't believe how dependent sound quality is on the fit.  The stock silicone tips were not fitting well and consequently my impression of the Atrios were that the bass had good extension but it was a little light and overall didn't push as much air.  Using the mod you described above I am blown away with the bass now.  It's deep, lots of texture and thump.  I would recommend this mod to anyone having trouble with the fit.

Comparing them to my Eternas which I came from I would say the Atrios are much more detailed and accurate in the mids/highs.  I'm hearing things in my songs that were just blurred in the Eterna.  That said, the Eternas are more fun, wild, and uncontrolled.  Kind of like a caged beast trying to get out.  But the Atrios are more refined but still pack that wow factor.  I love them both!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #128 of 237
Nice - will try this mod too. Not easy to get hold of in the UK though, those Sony Hybrids (EX10A?).

Definitely not the small FS silicones. Got one stuck in my left ear today and Mrs B had to retrieve with tweezers; not pleasant. 
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #130 of 237

Quote:
Earsonics new biflanges fit on the Atrios and are a lot more comfortable than the biflanges the Atrios come with and have the larger sound hole. Worth checking out in UK.

Yep, the earsonics biflange fit Atrio's perfectly. I still prefer Klipsch eargels.

If anyone is interested in two brand new pairs of Earsonics biflange tips, PM me. I'll let them go for below cost, $14 shipped free worldwide.

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #135 of 237
I was going to ask you guys how it sounds.  Ha!  Although I think most people here have the new MG7's whereas the Atrio X has the MG5 driver.  FS mentioned to me the MG7 driver has a little more bottom end to it than the MG5.  From what I read so far about the MG5's they do get pretty low though?  But yes I'll definitely check back in if I get them...they're my current front runners for an upgrade of MEE SP-51's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back