Review, Future Sonics Atrios: Comparison between different tips
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #106 of 237
@Starsky, would you mind taking a couple photos of the sleeves up close, specifically one showing what the sleeve looks like off the Atrio? I'm interested in how the sleeve fits onto the Atrio nozzle.

@Confispect, the Atrios do have a more narrow soundstage. I think Future Sonics does this somewhat deliberately, as a wider soundstage often requires louder volumes for satisfactory listening (at least I feel that way) and they've got the whole thing going with H.E.A.R. or whatever. I'm curious, how would you compare Atrio stage to your Panas and Eternas? Are your Atrios fully burnt-in?

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #107 of 237

Quote:
@Starsky, would you mind taking a couple photos of the sleeves up close, specifically one showing what the sleeve looks like off the Atrio? I'm interested in how the sleeve fits onto the Atrio nozzle.

Okay I took some. I did my best with the camera I got.

Notice the groove that the Atrio shell fits into and the nozzle hole in the SofterWear Sleeves.

This is what it looks like when the Atrios are correctly inserted into the sleeves.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #108 of 237
Interesting, a little different from what I was expecting. Those might be able to fit on some other model earphones. Do you handle all your earphones with gloves? :)

Do they feel sturdy, like you could have them on your Atrios and then throw them in a backpack or whatever without worry about them getting damaged from being squished or rubbed on? They look like they wouldn't be particularly hardy, but it's hard to tell just from a photo.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #109 of 237

Quote:
Interesting, a little different from what I was expecting. Those might be able to fit on some other model earphones. Do you handle all your earphones with gloves?
smily_headphones1.gif

Do they feel sturdy, like you could have them on your Atrios and then throw them in a backpack or whatever without worry about them getting damaged from being squished or rubbed on? They look like they wouldn't be particularly hardy, but it's hard to tell just from a photo.

When i'm home I handle all my earphones with gloves...weird huh....actually I have obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD.

Yes they are sturdy and you can throw them into a backpack or whatever without worrying about them getting damaged. The SofterWear Sleeves are solid silicone, smooth & flexible. Chances are you're more likely to damage your Atrios than these sleeves. They won't get damaged that easily unless you took a sharp knife or scissors and deliberately start cutting. Future Sonics told me they should last forever.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #110 of 237

Quote:

@Confispect, the Atrios do have a more narrow soundstage. I think Future Sonics does this somewhat deliberately, as a wider soundstage often requires louder volumes for satisfactory listening (at least I feel that way) and they've got the whole thing going with H.E.A.R. or whatever. I'm curious, how would you compare Atrio stage to your Panas and Eternas? Are your Atrios fully burnt-in?

Eterna > Atrio MG7 

As far as the Pana's I haven't been listening them vs. the Atrio I will do so when I get home.

@Starsky, Nice, they do seem well built if I go this route I mind as well go custom though so I'll pass. Or maybe I'll change my mind, the OCD thing is something everybody should have.....at least 20% of it 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #111 of 237

Quote:
Also I want to send out a very special thank you to Future Sonics for giving me the best customer service I've ever had with any company ever. I especially want to thank the nice lady...I don't know her name but she answered all my questions for weeks and weeks and was very accommodating and really treated me very special. Future Sonics has me as a customer for life now.

The name is probably Dayna Gelenberg.  Very nice gal and really professional.  I've been contemplating on getting the sleeves as well.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #112 of 237

Quote:
Yes, 100 hours of burn in smoothed the upper mid/lower treble peak and the bass became a little fuller. I did not notice a change in soundstage.

On another note, I'm already looking forward to the next generation of Future Sonics phones; I can't wait to see what they try next!

Maybe an over-ear headphone?

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #113 of 237

Quote:

The name is probably Dayna Gelenberg.  Very nice gal and really professional.  I've been contemplating on getting the sleeves as well.

Thank You for the name alphaphoenix. Yes she is very nice lady and definitely professional.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #114 of 237
Apr 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #115 of 237

Quote:
Thank You for the name alphaphoenix. Yes she is very nice lady and definitely professional.

I called Dayna today to thank her for the best customer service i've ever received from any company ever.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #117 of 237
I was sent a set a comply tips for review with my atrio m5 (mg7 drivers) and I just wanted to post up some quick impressions here.

First, my main set of tips were the medium sized bi-flange tips supplied by future sonics. I used to feel that I preferred the sound sig of the barrel foams more, but always used these for simplicity of fit and durability.

Now, my main impressions of the M5 are not that great. I find their bass to be a bit overbearing and boomy, but tolerably so. I find their treble to be not particularly extended or "sparkly", but acceptable. What I take issue with is an awfully large peak I hear at around the 5khz range. Some people seem to claim that they don't have that problem, but I, personally, definitely do. I actually found (quickly, using sinegen) that 4750hz was roughly 13dB louder than 3300hz. I also found using sine sweeps that I heard many smaller peaks and valleys all throughout their frequency response.

I don't have impressions of the comply tips necessarily tightening anything up, at least not from quick A/Bs. What I have found, though, is that they greatly smoothed out the frequency response in comparison to my bi-flange tips. The big 5khz peak was still there (though I found it to be ~3db less), but lots of the smaller peaks and valleys were mostly gone. I don't think I would rush out and buy a pair of comply tips for the m5 unless you were also looking for some improved comfort, but it's worth noting that they really did help to clean up the FR a bit.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #118 of 237
I was sent a set a comply tips for review with my atrio m5 (mg7 drivers) and I just wanted to post up some quick impressions here.

First, my main set of tips were the medium sized bi-flange tips supplied by future sonics. I used to feel that I preferred the sound sig of the barrel foams more, but always used these for simplicity of fit and durability.

Now, my main impressions of the M5 are not that great. I find their bass to be a bit overbearing and boomy, but tolerably so. I find their treble to be not particularly extended or "sparkly", but acceptable. What I take issue with is an awfully large peak I hear at around the 5khz range. Some people seem to claim that they don't have that problem, but I, personally, definitely do. I actually found (quickly, using sinegen) that 4750hz was roughly 13dB louder than 3300hz. I also found using sine sweeps that I heard many smaller peaks and valleys all throughout their frequency response.

I don't have impressions of the comply tips necessarily tightening anything up, at least not from quick A/Bs. What I have found, though, is that they greatly smoothed out the frequency response in comparison to my bi-flange tips. The big 5khz peak was still there (though I found it to be ~3db less), but lots of the smaller peaks and valleys were mostly gone. I don't think I would rush out and buy a pair of comply tips for the m5 unless you were also looking for some improved comfort, but it's worth noting that they really did help to clean up the FR a bit.

This surprises me, as the Shure Olives do nothing for me aside from mushing up the sound. I just assumed the Comply (T-100's?) would do the same. Have you ever used Shure Olive foamies, or have any comments on the differences between the two tips? I have have Comply T-400's for my HJE900's which, while they work nicely on those phones, seem to wear out much faster.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #120 of 237

Quote:
Just sent my impression molds to get the custom sleeves.  Between the EM that I own, the Atrio is the most fun by far.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do alphaphoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back