REVIEW: Fully Modded and recabled MarkL Denon D5000 (MD5000)
Sep 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I received a completely modded pair of Denon D5000 (“MD5000” henceforth) headphones for review from MarkL. Since there has been very extensive description of these mods in threads here on head-fi, I am not going to describe the mods themselves, just what I hear from them. I will note here that the cost of the mods on the pair I auditioned is $599, making the cost of a pair of these if one does not already own D5000’s $459+$599=$1058, making them fairly expensive.

I compared the MD5000 to the stock D5000 I own, as well as the Kenwood K1000 (@ $350), and the JVC DX1000 (@ $900). I primarily used the Purity Audio KICAS as the driving amp, as the Denons are a low 25 ohms, and Mark felt I should use a SS amp to do the evaluation. I listened to a wide variety of Rock and Jazz. Sources were an iMod iPod with VCap dock, and a Denon CD player. Levels were matched using a Radio Shack SPL meter set to 80dbA.

Pics:

DSC01777.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

Let me first discuss comfort. A significant item of the modding is the “puffing up” of the earpads. I felt that this very significantly reduced the comfort of the headphones. Compared to the stock D5000, which are so comfortable it’s almost hard to tell they are even on, the MD5000 are much, much less comfortable. I would describe the MD5000 comfort level as “fair to good”, whereas the stock headphones are “excellent”. So there is unquestionably a price to be paid for the mods in terms of comfort. I will say that the overall level of workmanship seems high.

So what about the sound? First and foremost let me say this. Taken on their own, with no comparisons, the MD5000s sound terrific. They are really enjoyable to listen to, and I enjoyed them a lot. If looked at in isolation, without regards to comfort, price, or comparison to other headphones, the MD5000 are terrific sounding cans.

But we don’t live in isolation, do we? The whole point of this exercise for me was the comparison. Let’s start with the comparison with the stock Denon. To begin with, the MD5000s sound VERY different from the stock D5000. There is no question about that. The difference is pretty surprising. The MD5000 are much brighter sounding. It makes the D5000 seem positively laid back by comparison. The mids are significantly more prominent with the MD5000. On some music, this was a benefit, but on some songs I preferred the stock Denon’s presentation. There is also a tiny bit of a “cupped hands” coloration with the MD5000’s mids that I could sometimes hear. It wasn’t a big deal, but it is there. I would not say that the MD5000 has the more neutral mids. I would say the stock D5000’s mids are slightly laid back, and the MD5000 are slightly forward. So with either, system matching will be the order of the day (as it always is), and one’s own preferences will of course also come into play.

Let me try to provide an example. On Eva Cassidy’s “Honeysuckle Rose” from Life At Blues Alley, the MD5000’s more forward sound brought Eva’s lovely voice out a little from the mix, and this made the track more enjoyable. However, on Dave Matthews’ “Gravedigger” from Some Devil, the MD5000 sounded forced and aggressive, and the stock Denon sounded more natural. The MD5000 have a “sound”. Some will love it – others may not.

In the treble, the MD5000 is the clear winner, although the difference is not huge. The D5000 seems a little “tizzy” in the treble compared with the MD5000. The MD5000’s treble comes across a little more naturally. I did not feel the difference was great, but it is a difference, and the MD5000 is better in this regard.

These differences in the midrange and treble result in some soundstaging differences as well. The MD5000 push the image forward, out in front of the listener. The soundstage is deeper than with the D5000, but it is also less wide. It’s not just the added depth – there is no doubt the stock Denon can has the wider soundstage. There is no free lunch, I guess. The soundstage with the MD5000 is slightly more defined. Overall I prefer the image presentation of the MD5000, but both were acceptable (and both were significantly behind the JVC DX1000 in this regard – about which, more later).

And then there is the bass. There is definitely less overall bass with the MD5000, but there is still plenty of bass on tap when called for, and the bass is definitely better defined sounding. I am not one of the people who feels the stock D5000 has sloppy bass, but the MD5000 has better bass control, no doubt. The overall bass impact is also less. Here again, I felt some songs sounded better on the MD5000, but some on the stock D5000. And here again also, the bass on the JVC DX1000 is significantly better than either. The DX1000 has better bass control than even the MD5000, and has the more even overall bass response.

So overall, would I say that the MD5000 sounds better than the stock D5000? Yes, I would, overall. It is an improvement. But now the tougher part – would I spend $600 to get this improvement? No. And in fact, for me, if the headphones were the same exact price, meaning a stock Denon D5000 was $600, and a complete, fully modded MD5000 was $600, would I chose the MD5000? Not if I planned to wear them for hours at a time. They are not comfortable enough. The stock Denon, the JVC and Kenwood cans are all very noticeably more comfortable.

And then there is the JVC DX1000. The DX1000 costs less than a fully-modded MD5000 if one were to buy a new pair. And at least for me, the JVC is better than the MD5000 in every way. Smoother and more detailed treble; better defined and deeper bass; more compelling, deeper and wider soundstage. Neither the DX1000 nor the MD5000 has completely neutral mids, but I prefer the mids on the DX1000. Then adding in that the JVC is much more comfortable, this is a pretty easy decision.

So where does that leave the MD5000? I think that as a stand-alone headphone, it’s in a pretty tough spot because of its cost. Enough so that it makes me wonder if the $159 mod that does not include the recable would be a better way to go (I have not heard that configuration, of course). It might be, since the Denon cable is pretty decent. The fully-modded MD5000 sounds excellent, but not good enough to justify its price compared to other things that are out there, in my opinion. If one already owns D5000’s, and isn’t happy with the sound, it is possible the $599 price of the mods might be better than spending the money on new cans – but it might not.

The MD5000 so have a “sound” that the listener may fall deeply in love with. But it’s not really a neutral sound, and as such, there will be people who do not love it. I don’t know where YOU, dear reader, will fall. I know that for me, while I did slightly prefer the MD5000 overall in terms of sound, I will not be modding my D5000’s – I will be keeping the stock D5000, but, as I do today, spend most of my time listening to the JVC’s. This is my preference. What yours will be, I will be interested to hear 

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 60
Thanks guys. I just added pics
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DX1000 has better bass control than even the MD5000, and has the more even overall bass response.

I haven't heard the MD5000, but I did compare my MD2000 to the DX1000 and with respect to our no-doubt different preferences, I found the MD2000 to have the clearly superior bass. A touch deeper and vastly clearer.
Having said that, which one of us is the more respected Head-fi reviewer?
biggrin.gif
On the other hand, for those who haven't been keeping up with the DX1000 thread, I think I should let you know that Skylab is a total fanboy - he's got two pairs
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the MD5000, but I did compare my MD2000 to the DX1000 and with respect to our no-doubt different preferences, I found the MD2000 to have the clearly superior bass. A touch deeper and vastly clearer.
Having said that, which one of us is the more respected Head-fi reviewer?
biggrin.gif
On the other hand, for those who haven't been keeping up with the DX1000 thread, I think I should let you know that Skylab is a total fanboy - he's got two pairs
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

I do think the DX1000 is a terrific headphone, yes. But in my defense:

1. I own a LOT of headphones, and did a lot of comparing in drawing my comparisons, including taking the vary careful but time-consuming step of matching levels with an SPL meter. Was your comparison inclusive of other headphones, and was it done with matched levels?

2. Other people I know who listened to both side by side shared my opinion.

We certainly all hear things differently, but I don't think my opinion on the respective bass performance should be dismissed as "fanboyism", any more than your comments are given you own MD2000. Preferences should not be confused with fanboyism.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

The MD5000 so have a “sound” that the listener may fall deeply in love with. But it’s not really a neutral sound, and as such, there will be people who do not love it.

Thanks for the balanced review skylab. When you say that the sound isn't really neutral, do you mean it's because these are closed cans?

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the balanced review skylab. When you say that the sound isn't really neutral, do you mean it's because these are closed cans?

No, I don't think the fact that they are closed has anything to do with it. They simply have a specific sonic signature, as, quite frankly, do ALL headphones. Some are more neutral than others, however. The colorations in the MD5000 are pretty easy to detect. But again, that doesn't make it bad-sounding at all. It just has a very specific sound.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 60
Skylab, thank you for the review. I am looking for a new headphone, and your words made one less on my shortlist.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 60
Skylab, would it be too presumptious (and wrong) of me to say that closed cans tend to be a bit more colored in the way they sound? I havent been into headphones that long but I did notice that alot of people comment their closed cans (whatever they are) sound colored. Thanks for enlightening a newbie!

Personally I love brighter sounding cans (like the K701s I have) so should I steer away from closed?

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 60
Thank you Mr. Skylab for taking the time to write up such a carefully considered and well-written review of the MD5000, it is appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I knew going in that the stock Denons were not Skylab's all-time favorites to begin with and wasn't expecting a rave, so I am pleased he approached them with an open mind and glad to read such an even-handed and forthright review of the MD5000.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm gratified he finds the MD5000 is an improvement over the stock phone, and feel his comments are further validation of the mods.

I am surprised though, regarding the comfort issue you note, as by far most folks tell me think they are more comfortable than stock. The fit definitely gets more snug, and are less loosey-goosey than they are stock. I tell folks when they get them new out of the box to compress them against their head several times from each of the four corners of the cups and hold them down for a few seconds at a time. If you do this for the first 3 times or so you wear them, the pads now conform to the contours of your own head, providing a more custom fit. I believe I neglected to inform Skylab of this. However, I will definitely agree the JVC's are the Queen of Comfort (R10 being the King).

The only other thing I would add to is regarding soundstage:

Quote:

The MD5000 push the image forward, out in front of the listener. The soundstage is deeper than with the D5000, but it is also less wide.

Without commenting on whether one soundstage appears wider than the other, I agree that the sound of the MD5000 is more in front of your head than at the sides. One of the main advantages of adding more taper to the pads and angling the drivers (like with the R10 and certain ATs) is that it takes the separate image blobs that appear at the sides of your head with a gap in the middle, and moves them toward each other, toward the center, filling in the image gap, and psycho-acoustically making the sound appear to be coming from in font of you. This mimics speakers more naturally or a concert where the stage is in front of you, rather than you being on stage with the musicians at your sides.

Cheers.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ
fanboy is not equal to experienced listener who knows what he likes.

Quote:

...I don't think my opinion on the respective bass performance should be dismissed as "fanboyism", any more than your comments are given you own MD2000. Preferences should not be confused with fanboyism.

I apologise for any offense taken. I wasn't being serious; I tried, but obviously failed, to signpost this with the smilies.
My comparison was purely subjective, but I don't think that means the difference of opinion is invalid
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 60
P.S. If you are a long-term member/reviewer (3+ years), with over 700 posts (including reviews), with a mid-fi or better set-up with solid state amp, live in the USA and would like to be next to write a review of these phones, please contact me via e-mail (click on my name). Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back