REVIEW: Fully Modded and recabled MarkL Denon D5000 (MD5000)
Sep 8, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 60
Thank you Skylab, this is one of the most honest reviews I have seen on the cans. A lot of people simply say it's the best thing since sliced bread and while that's greaat and all, it is not as helpful when trying to make the best decision. I don't doubt that it's good, but I don't for one second think that they really compare to the R10 or are perfect.

Good job on the critical review of a well regarded can!

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #32 of 60
amazing review skylab! very well written. however, i want a jvc dx1000 even more now but they're out of my budget
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #33 of 60
Great review, Skylab. Nice to see the DX-1000 doing so well. I think we need a brave Headfier to recable their DX-1000 and report back their findings.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #34 of 60
I agree too, very good review. But i would like that it was the stock MD5000 vs your others headphones..., but was better to hear your impressions first in this 'model' anyway....
That prove that a super expensive and exotic cable, doesn't always make a big difference....
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Skylab, this is one of the most honest reviews I have seen on the cans. A lot of people simply say it's the best thing since sliced bread and while that's greaat and all, it is not as helpful when trying to make the best decision. I don't doubt that it's good, but I don't for one second think that they really compare to the R10 or are perfect.

Good job on the critical review of a well regarded can!

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there is the JVC DX1000. The DX1000 costs less than a fully-modded MD5000 if one were to buy a new pair. And at least for me, the JVC is better than the MD5000 in every way. Smoother and more detailed treble; better defined and deeper bass; more compelling, deeper and wider soundstage. Neither the DX1000 nor the MD5000 has completely neutral mids, but I prefer the mids on the DX1000. Then adding in that the JVC is much more comfortable, this is a pretty easy decision.

How deep are we talking on the DX1000? I haven't heard them yet (hopefully at an upcoming meet in Sydney), but I have a pair of MD5000s with a Cardas grey cable that was on them when I bought them 2nd hand. I have test tone MP3s downloaded from the RealTraps Test Tone CD (which anyone can do) and I was surprised when playing them on the MD5000 (calibrate your volume level first!) to become aware of a distant rumble - which I thought was a truck on the highway at first - at 12/13 Hz, and it was repeatable. That said, I don't know if there was any harmonics at higher frequencies that may have tipped me off...

...is it possible the perception of deeper bass is partly due to the DX1000s having a stronger bass response?

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #36 of 60
That is a fair point. I measured the DX1000 and the MD5000 using the Stereophile test CD 3 and my SPL meter. The JVC is about 6db stronger at 25 Hz than the Denon, but the Denon can actually also reproduce this frequency, so it's just that the JVC has perceptibly more deep bass.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #37 of 60
Skylab, Thank you for another in-depth and insightful review. I've just traded my beloved APS v3 RS1 for a pair of markl modded D5000(no recable) with another head-fier and I'm completely looking forward to hearing these cans.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, Skylab. Nice to see the DX-1000 doing so well. I think we need a brave Headfier to recable their DX-1000 and report back their findings.

Something tells me no one will be that adventurous and undertake a full re-cable for fear of altering its unique signature.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #39 of 60
That, and the DX1000 is pretty darned good.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, Thank you for another in-depth and insightful review. I've just traded my beloved APS v3 RS1 for a pair of markl modded D5000(no recable) with another head-fier and I'm completely looking forward to hearing these cans.

;>)

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #42 of 60
Forgive me if I merely missed it, but, Skylab, what exactly do you find uncomfortable about the MD5000's?

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me if I merely missed it, but, Skylab, what exactly do you find uncomfortable about the MD5000's?

The stuffing of the earpads makes them VERY firm, and the combination of this firmness and the degree to which they then "push off" the head makes them far less comfortable than the stock Denons. That said, Markl did post that there are some tweaks that can be done to help ameliorate this.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the modded version have better soundstaging for using it with movies (Dolby Headphone)?

I did not try that, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back