REVIEW: Firestone Audio Fireye HDB - New Balance
May 14, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 39
no, not good. Get the xduoo xd05 or creative soundblaster e5 for large cans

Have you tried the Fireye HDB with the HD600 or something similar to? Just curious because Massdrop and their own website states this amp should be able to drive the HD600 "Headphone impedance: 16 – 600 ohm."

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #34 of 39
Have you tried the Fireye HDB with the HD600 or something similar to? Just curious because Massdrop and their own website states this amp should be able to drive the HD600 "Headphone impedance: 16 – 600 ohm."

I take it back. I just tested the fireye with my hd650 and lg v10. It drove it just fine. Granted I had my lg v10 cranked all the way up, but I got pretty good listening levels on med gain, high levels on high gain. Very open sounding, bass hit strong...no complaints here. As long as you have a good strong source, you should be ok.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #37 of 39
Is the HDB available anywhere online? massdrop doesn't have it anymore.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #38 of 39
Is the HDB available anywhere online? massdrop doesn't have it anymore.

It's back on, $159 w/ free shipping to USA.

I received mine today from the last drop (expected ship date of June 5 was missed by 9 days).

Build quality is nice, but I'll wait for burn-in to express opinions on SQ. I will say power seems ... substantial for a portable amp. Listening @ ~25%/low gain with my Monolith m1060s via balanced connection. Certainly not a hard-to-drive set, but clearly lots of headroom.

One build comment: volume knob was loose, pulled off easily. There's a very small set screw that had to be tightened -- solved problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back