[Review] Fiio E5
Mar 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheKonig

New Head-Fier
    I was getting bored of how low the sound was on my in-ears, so I started looking for something to solve this, for a fairly cheap price. I searched the internet and got to know about this manufacturer who built earphone amplifiers. It seemed like a good idea to me so I bought the Fiio e5, for about 20 Euros and I’m going to review it for you.

Specs:
Output Power: 150 mW (16 ohms Loaded); 12 mW (300 ohms Loaded)
Signal to Noise Ratio: More than 95 dB (A Weight)
Distortion: Less than 0.009% (10 mW)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 100 kHz
Suitable Headphone Impedance: 16 ohms - 300 ohms
Weight: 30g
Power Supply:build-in 200mAh rechargerable battery
Dimensions: 44.2mm x 38 mm x 12.6 mm
Preamp Opamp: OPA2338UA
Poweramp Chip: TPA6130A

When you plug the amplifier in you can immediately notice differences, the sound is much louder and has a lot more Bass, especially if you turn the on the Bass boost switch.
I’m sure more expensive amps will perform better, but in terms of value for money the Fiio is very good. It gave a new life to my music collection, and made me love my music even more now that I had proper bass sound.

But, being a cheap device, not everything is good, on quieter parts of music’s you can hear a buzz, although that buzz isn’t noticeable when you’re listening to fast, loud rock songs.
   The build quality could also be better, the plastic it’s made of is quite good and almost feels like metal to the touch but there are some big gaps between the parts, and, by only having a spring in one side, the clip feel quite flimsy.

The battery lasted 3-4 day, listening to music 2+ hours a day, but sometimes it won’t even last me for a day, because sometimes I forget to turn it off and it doesn’t turn off by itself, even if you remove the ear-phones. I consider this a major issue because, for several times, I wanted to listen to music on the bus and couldn’t because it was out of battery, and with that much noise it was impossible to hear music.

Accessories
The box contains two male-male 3.5mm cable, one longer and one shorter, a usb cable for charging and a Chinese/English manual.

If you are looking for an amp for under 20 Euros I definitely recommend this amp. I don’t think you’ll find something better for this price.

Score: 7/10

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
That is pretty much my experience.  My E5 helps give my phones a little more low end guts but at the price of increased hiss during quiet moments in songs.

x2

Replace the OPA2338 in the Fiio E5 with ADA4841-2 (requires soldering) and you will get a more analogue-like sound with more three-dimensional soundstage and more natural-like tone quality.  A pinch more detail, too.  4841 really likes that Fiio circuit.

It is also nice how you do not get any channel imbalance with the E5's volume control at any volume level.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 14
Just ordered one. It should arrive by monday 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I too got a a lot of hiss from my E5 and if it's ever a problem for anyone, it's best not to buy one. 

i got mine today and i haven't heard any hiss. maybe it's your sound card

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Depends on the sensitivity of your headphones.  If you want some real improvement, get a line-out cable and a much better amp. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 14
No bass switch on the E1.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 14
I have one, also.
I use it mostly with earbuds.
Thank God, I don't have "audiophile ears" because, I haven't noticed the hiss.
I DO hear the hiss on my Koss 3 band eq/amp, which is why its going to my nephew, soon.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 14
Mine only hisses at the very top, my 558's pick it up rather distinctly. 
thankfully I rarely use maximum volume! 

The only time I ever have severely audible hissing is when I've got it plugged in to charge. It's extremely loud and obnoxious to the point of giving up on it until it's fully charged. 
This happens on all sources - usb wall charger, laptop, ps3 so it has to be an internal "feature" of the e5. 

aside from that, I love it! Means I can use by super-basic Sony NWZ (with it's measly 16ohm output!) with my HD280 Pro's and HD558's! 

I think an E7 is the next on my "to buy" list. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back