(REVIEW): Etymotic HF5
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

I like amping my ER-4S' with the O2, the more detail the better.  I want to hear the music as accurately as possible.  If you want the detail that the Etys provide, why would you want to hide the details with a warm amp?  Buy a warm IEM and a warm amp
confused_face(1).gif

Not a direct response but rather a redirection to another aside, but could anyone comment on the HF5 vs. the ER-4S/P/PT?  I've read that the HF5 is very close in overall signature/capability for a significantly smaller investment.  From what I've learned, they share the same drivers (along with a few other Etys) but they're more carefully matched with the ER-series and the HFX adds a touch of warmth and bass presence.  Is that accurate?

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #32 of 72
Nice stuff Please22 and the triples are the best tips, you get used to them by the way!
Quote:

I like amping my ER-4S' with the O2, the more detail the better.  I want to hear the music as accurately as possible.  If you want the detail that the Etys provide, why would you want to hide the details with a warm amp?  Buy a warm IEM and a warm amp
confused_face(1).gif

Indeed, i want all the detail i can get :wink: 

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:
lows not enough for me compared with my TF10

Thats becase they are no where near as boosted. The Ety are a whitewash in all other frequencies though in terms of accuracy and detail.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Not a direct response but rather a redirection to another aside, but could anyone comment on the HF5 vs. the ER-4S/P/PT?  I've read that the HF5 is very close in overall signature/capability for a significantly smaller investment.  From what I've learned, they share the same drivers (along with a few other Etys) but they're more carefully matched with the ER-series and the HFX adds a touch of warmth and bass presence.  Is that accurate?

I find HF3 (HF5 with a mic/controller) very similar to the ER-4PT with 75 ohm adapter. HF3 has a bit more bass but don't feel they are warmer as such. HF3 sounds a slight bit more "monitor-like" and also lose a bit in the treble when directly compared to the ER-4. Also finding ER-4 to scale better with amping. Only in my subjective opinion of course. Happy owner of both as I use HF3 with my iPhone because mic/controllers are sometimes required and not feeling that I miss out on too much from my ER-4 which I use when amping on the go or at my stationary setup. Observations based on using them with iPhone--> 2Stepdance btw.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #36 of 72
I agree to some degree. I feel the HF-3 is very similar and slightly more warm or engaging. The ER-4, in comparison, is a bit more clinical sounding but much more detailed.

Of course, I never listen to the ER4 without an amp, so the comparisons are with both amped. I use the HF-3 straight out of my phone and ER4S with my iMod + Leckerton Audio UHA-6S mkII. My portable needs are covered.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #37 of 72
Have anybody else tried using the 75 ohm adapter with the hf5? Does the same thing happen to the hf5 as if you use the adapter for the er4-p? That is pretty much how i understood the review. It would be very nice to know, because i just ordered an adapter for my hf2.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:
Have anybody else tried using the 75 ohm adapter with the hf5? Does the same thing happen to the hf5 as if you use the adapter for the er4-p? That is pretty much how i understood the review. It would be very nice to know, because i just ordered an adapter for my hf2.

I'm actually waiting on mine to come in the mail. I'll leave impressions when I can :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:
I'm actually waiting on mine to come in the mail. I'll leave impressions when I can :)

Nice, we'll see who gets 'em first 
etysmile.gif

Mine are arriving from ong kong, only 11$
Hope they are proper build quality, but because of taxes i cant go above 13$, then the price would sky-rocket to 3x the original price or so...

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:
I agree to some degree. I feel the HF-3 is very similar and slightly more warm or engaging. The ER-4, in comparison, is a bit more clinical sounding but much more detailed.

Of course, I never listen to the ER4 without an amp, so the comparisons are with both amped. I use the HF-3 straight out of my phone and ER4S with my iMod + Leckerton Audio UHA-6S mkII. My portable needs are covered.

Quote:

I find HF3 (HF5 with a mic/controller) very similar to the ER-4PT with 75 ohm adapter. HF3 has a bit more bass but don't feel they are warmer as such. HF3 sounds a slight bit more "monitor-like" and also lose a bit in the treble when directly compared to the ER-4. Also finding ER-4 to scale better with amping. Only in my subjective opinion of course. Happy owner of both as I use HF3 with my iPhone because mic/controllers are sometimes required and not feeling that I miss out on too much from my ER-4 which I use when amping on the go or at my stationary setup. Observations based on using them with iPhone--> 2Stepdance btw.

Thank you both for your impressions!

For my needs, I'm thinking that I'm on the right track with the HF5.  In my quest for convenience and transportability I've put much greater valuation on source than amplification.  As such, low impedance 'phones are the way to go.  In addition, I tend to like just a hint of "excitement" in the low-end presentation and find that my ears get fatigued by high levels of treble presence.  I also listen to a lot of... let's say tightly-budgeted music, so while I value near-neutrality and resolved details I don't want something that will relentlessly force me to focus on flaws at the sake of missing the content's soul.

The one purchased from Amazon is on its way back for a refund and I'll pursue a replacement from there.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Close. I don't think they are the exact same driver. The 4p is more etched. I actually would prefer the hf5 for daily use as the bass is the same and the top a little smoother though the 4p 'sounds' faster and slightly more articulate. I think both could use a few more db below 100hz to hold up when not at your quiet desk but that's a preference thing.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #44 of 72
I'm not trying to jack the thread, so if anybody knows of a better place for this, let me know and I'll move it!

Alright, so: I got some HF3s about a year ago (got a pretty good deal - yes!). I had some issues getting proper fit as they're the first IEMs I've used that go past that bend in the ear canal.  I immediately liked the accuracy but I hated the feeling of wearing them for any more than about 20 minutes.  I was using the silicone triple flange tips and had tried some of the others but just wasn't getting the best fit.  I saw a great idea from Cotelio over at the thread Dsnuts made for the Monoprice 8320s.  So I elaborated on it and got the best fit and sound isolation I have ever gotten from my Etys!

On the left are the buds that came with my phone.  I put them there mostly to show what was going on with the black rubber on the HF3s at the right.  I put a ring of earplug foam over the tips of the Etys first.  Then I slid up the smallest rubber folding tips I had (for a pair of Creative EP 630s) around the larger part of the Etys. I put the earplug foam donut inside the rubber tips and folded the rubber back over the foam (since the rubber on the left is transparent, it should be pretty obvious how it works).  I have the black rubber tips sticking partially over the skinniest part of the Ety's barrels.  The tip of the Etys gets pure compressible earplug foam and voila! Now I can comfortably wear IEMs that weren't getting enough use because before this, I couldn't get a comfortable fit!

BOTTOM LINE: I've got better comfort, isolation, and sound from some great IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back