REVIEW: Ety ER-4P/S versus Shure E5c
Oct 19, 2003 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

lindrone

King Canaling
Last edit.. one caution added to the end of the review, make sure you read it

A while ago, I did a review of the Shure E5c plus various fitting options... in the review itself, I lamented not having been able to do a side-by-side comparison of the Shure E5c versus one of the forum's all-time favorite: Ety ER-4. Since then, I've been fortunate enough (Thanks to Dunbar) to having had a chance to compare them head to head. The link below is to the original review of the Shure E5c... a good read at least for reference.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&highlight=e5

So without further ado, let's go into this ER-4 vs. E5c comparo:

Earphones
Shure E5c
Etymotic ER-4P w/ P=>S adaptor

Source (with or without amp)
iPod (using only uncompressed WAV) + Super Mini v6.2D
iPod (using only uncompressed WAV) unamped
NAD C541i + Gilmore V2
Sony D-25S + Gilmore V2

Test tracks
"Ben Folds Live" - Ben Folds
"Sunny 16" - Ben Folds
"Whatever and Ever Amen" - Ben Folds Five
"A Rush of Blood to The Head" - Coldplay
"Parachute" - Coldplay
"Jars of Clay" - Jars of Clay
"If I Left the Zoo" - Jars of Clay
"Kind of Blue" - Miles Davis
"Come Away With Me" - Norah Jones
"Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below" - OutKast

Miscellaneous comparison headphones
Sony MDR-CD3000
Sennheiser HD-580
Sennheisder HD-590

I've added 2 CD's to my testing collection, I thought "Sunny 16" by Ben Folds should be listed, because there's one specific track on it which is worth mentioning for one reason. Also I've added OutKast's newest album for testing out the bass, you'll see why this was needed.

I tested the ER-4P with and without the P => S adaptor cable. I noticed that the midrange and the low-end are both slightly more controlled and accurate when I used the S adaptor. So I didn't feel a need to separate out the 4P as a separate comparison. I also settled on using the tri-flange tip for both the ER-4 and E5c for testing... as they produced the best sonic results and best fit for me. So now all the specs has been listed... time for the real thing...

Fit & Finish

Here's a few pictures to show what package that the Shure E5 and the Ety ER-4 came with....

EtyOpened_large.JPG

Ety with the big, black plastic box with stuffs inside

EtyClosed_large.JPG

Closed Ety box

EtyShure_large.JPG

The Ety and the Shure box side-by-side

ShureOpened_large.JPG

Shure box opened up showing the goodies inside

The Ety came in a big black plastic box.... Pretty impressive. It has a nice layout to hold all the things it came with. Extra tri-flange plugs, wires, and replacement filters. Sitting next to the Shure E5c box though, it does seem a lot less spectacular. The Shure E5c box is a brushed aluminum cube. The top has embossed "Shure" logo, and the bottom box has embossed "E5c" carved onto its sides. Shiny... brushed... embossed... aluminum... Everything here says "expensive". Hell, it should be, considering the price.

The fit & finish of the Shure is definitely a class above the Ety's... No question there.

Comfort

I had to struggle with the ER-4's a lot in the comfort department. When I first got them... I had them in, played a few songs through them and thought, "Hey, this thing sounds almost worse than my E2c's!" Of course that can't be true, ER-4's oughtta sound much beter than the E2c's... so I shoved them a little deeper into my ear (quite tentatively, I must add). Only after shoving them in a little bit deeper, that the mid-range and the low-end of the sound is brought out.

I thought to myself... "Hmm, well, this isn't bad.. pretty good sound..." That's about when I started feeling pain in the deep inner end of my ear. Yes, I am now finally getting the sound I was supposed to get, except my ear hurts like hell. I pulled them out a little bit... While still maintaining pretty good seal & sound. Except now if I left them on for a while, the weight of the cable will drag the plug out ever-so-slowly.... It's not soon before I have to do the whole "shove and pull a little bit out" thing.

I know some people out there don't have any trouble with Ety's cable noise. Perhaps they're used to having that cable distortion and just ignores it in the background. However, from my perspective, I've never heard any cable noise as bad as this. Not with my Shure E2c's, not with the E5c's. I think this is something Ety finally addressed with the braided cable that now ships with the ER-4's. The problem is not in the inherent design of the canalphone (in fact, I found collusion to not be much of a problem compared to cable noise), but the fact that Ety chose, with this generation of their headphone, to go with these heavy, thick cables that seem to transmit every little vibration, brushing against objects straight back into your ear. Not to mention that "shirt clip" which just constantly bangs against things while I move... because.. well, I've got nothing really adequate to clip it onto. Meanwhile all these "design flaws" could be overcome by one retrofit or another.. they're design flaws nonetheless.

Now.. putting in the E5c's... If you read my previous reviews, you would've known how much struggle I've gone through with the custom moldings. However, I must note, that's not because the options available with the E5c's were terrible. It was purely because I was seeking "something better" out there that I might not have known. (And if you read through that review, you would've noticed at the end of the day, the best thing was the Shure's own tri-flange option)

The E5c's tri-flange tip is much more forgiving... since the tube of the earphone unit itself doesn't stick all the way through the tri-flange, the front of the flange tip is very soft and pilable. It fits into your canal in a very comfortable fashion. You don't even have to stick it all the way in to get a proper seal... You can give yourself some breathing room and still achieve as good of a seal as you would sticking them all the way in until it hurts.

The E5c also has a semi-transparent, soft, yet very sturdy cable that wraps around the top of your ear, eventually meeting in the middle behind your head. Now, the cable positioning might be a problem for some people.. because the cable will end up behind your back, not in front of you. Some people will find it annoying to manage the cable when it's behind your back (for example, if you have to wear a backpack or something). However, the weight and quality of the cable, plus the wrap-around-ear fitting... eliminates almost, if not all cable noise there is. The only way you can get cable noise from these headphone is by asking your friend to tug on the cable 'til either your head or the earphone falls off. The collusion effect though, as with all canalphones, are still there. However, the softer tri-flange tip seem to help here as well.. there's a bit less vibration feedback even when I'm chewing food.

Winner: Definitely the E5c.

Sound characteristics

Oh boy.. am I ready for some flame here... This will be the argument of the ages when it comes down to canalphones... In short, if I was to compare these two earphones in some ways that correlates to the experiences I've had with headphones: I would say that the ER-4's are like HD-580's, while the E5c is like the CD3K.

Comparing the high-ends... The ER-4's are very clear, with good resolution and music quality. Without listening carefully, I would think that ER-4's might actually have better high-ends than the E5c; but after carefully listening for a while, I realized it's not that E5c doesn't have good high-ends... it's that E5c has a lot more "balance" across all the sound spectrums. The ER-4 has a very, very "neutral" bass... which some people prefer. E5c has a very responsive reproduction across all sound ranges, including the bass. In comparison, when you get both the bass and the high-end, it would seem that the high-end is not as clear as the ER-4. However, listening carefully again, the E5c's high-end is actually more resolved, more pronounced, and reaches higher than the ER-4; it's just that when you've got bass going on as well, it creates an illusion that the high-end on the ER-4 is more pronounced.

In the midranges... The ER-4 once again, has a very good, relaxed presentation with plenty of clarity. I would think that with the E5c's dual-driver w/ crossover design, it might have problem producing as clear of a midrange as the ER-4. However this also turned out not be the case. Just as with almost all other sound, the E5c is more resolute, clear, and resolved in the midrange than the ER-4... There is a upper-mid that seem to be a little more recessed in the E5c, but that's also in comparison to everything else that's more pronounced.

The bass... well, I think the ER-4 has what some people would refer to as "neutral bass", while I don't think it's really bass at all. This is where the OutKast's newest album comes in... OutKast's album has a lot of very, very exaggerated bass (as with almost all hip-hop anyway, right?)... I used that album exclusively to test the "range" of the bass on the ER-4. I had previously made statements in my E5c review comparing the bass of the CD3K to the E5c... and the truth is, I can't even start to make a comparison here with the ER-4. There's no way that I would mistaken ER-4's controlled, recessed, neutral bass to any real "headphone"... Where the E5c could be considered a "headphone replacement"... ER-4 is distinctively a canalphone. The bass in the E5c will make your head feel like it's rumbling, the ER-4 gets nowhere near that.

The soundstage of the E5c is much more dynamic than the ER-4. The ER-4 is much more relaxed... I feel like I'm in the 10th to the 15th row at a concert when listening to the ER-4. Where with the E5c, I feel like I'm sitting in the first row.. or perhaps even in the studio while the musicians are recording. With this more dynamic presentation, it also allows the E5c to project the different dimensionality in the music much better. There's more separation between foreground and background.

For example, the 1st track of Ben Fold's "Sunny 16" EP ends with a little conversation in the background, "Mr. Producer, any suggestion or comments?"... When I was listening to this CD on the E5c, even though I've heard it before.. I caught myself actually turning around and see who's behind me in the room. With the Ety, it just doesn't have that effect. Since the entire soundstage seems to be more distant... there's just a lack of "interaction" with the music.

In conclusion.. this goes back to the comment I made when this whole section started. Within the context of this comparion, I felt that the ER-4 very much reminded me of a well-driven HD-580. It's got a very pleasant and musical soundstage, but not as intimate as the CD3000. While all the reproduction is very smooth, it lacks the "punch" that some music requires.

The E5c is like the earphone version of the CD3000... it's got a very well rounded presentation, not overtly bright nor recessed. It's what I would consider, personally, a more accurate presentation of sound. The bass are there when you expect them to be, meanwhile the mids and highs are still superior to the ER-4.

The sound signature of the E5c definitely resemble a "headphone replacement". It is by no means settle with itself just being a canalphone.. it's seriously designed to bite into that bigger headphone feel. The ER-4's is unmistakenly the feel of a canalphone, which is not a bad thing at all... there are definitely people who will still prefer the sound signature of the ER-4.

Winner: With my preference, I'd say the E5c.

Overall value

Okay, so if you've read this far.. it definitely seems like I'm bashing the Ety ER-4's left and right... The truth is, after listening to both of them for weeks... I do feel that the E5c is a better earphone. However, this is where the Ety lovers will find their redemption.

If you look on the market, you can now find an ER-4P/S for $210 or so.. or you can get a ER-4P with a S adaptor cable for $50 more (if you use the authentic cable)... which brings you to $260 or so. Even if you find a really bad street price, you're looking at $250 to $300. Not to mention how many people out there has ER-4, even though they aren't likely to part with it, at least there's still somewhat of a market for an used ER-4.

The Shure E5c retails for $499. You can get the Shure E5, which is the same headphone without the consumer packaging, for about $450, but you miss out on some of the goodies, and the shiny cool box. There's virtually no used market for the Shure E5c, you've got to be luckier than (insert your own luckier than whatever reference here, I can't think of a good one.. hehehe) to be able to find one much cheaper than that. Then you've got to spend the extra $10 or so to get the tri-flange tips, which doesn't come as a part of the package, but by far provides the best sound to maximum the full capability of the E5c.

So, at the very least you're looking at a 2x price increase from the Ety ER-4 to the Shure E5c. Now, is the sound of the E5c "twice" as good as the ER-4? As the law of diminishing return kicks in, you can bet for sure that the sound is not "twice" as good from the ER-4 to the E5c. Some of us can still justify the E5c, because the added comfort and versatility, plus the superior sound quality might justify that $500 being spent.

Now, compare the Ety ER-4 to something else.. say.. HD-580. I can definitely see why people would prefer the ER-4 to getting something like the HD-580. After all, ER-4 sounds very, very good, even though the bass might still be laid back; then again, some people would think HD-580's bass is too laid back as well... So for $200 you get a headphone that's very good, both portable and for @ home use. You can choose to amp it or not amp it, it will only improve. Where with the HD-580, you've got to spend at least $150 to $200 on an amp to get it to sound the way it's really supposed to. (I've used a HD-580 with cheaper amps before, mint meta, for example... I don't think anything under $150 is really adequate). So if you look at it, $200 for a ER-4P or S, versus $150 for HD-580+$150 for amp... At $100 less you're getting a very, very comparable sound.

So... when it comes down to value/performance ratio...

Winner: ER-4

Conclusion

So... at the end of the day.. I think the Shure E5c is a much better headphone. Better build & construction, better sound, better at just about everything. Why shouldn't it be though? I mean, it's TWICE as much as the Ety ER-4. If it isn't overall better than the ER-4, I'd have a pretty big gripe to hold against Shure, right?

What it comes down to, is that do you really have $500 to spend on a pair of canalphones? When I first started this thing.. I had a very specific need for wanting to get the best portable set-up possible. In retrospect, with the $500, I'm very close to a Sony CD3K + Gilmore V2 or something.. right?

When it comes to recommendation though... I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the Ety as an option... (of course, I'd have to warn them about all the possible discomfort and so on.. so forth)... but if you've got $500 to chuck at a pair of earphones.. get a Shure E5c...
biggrin.gif

One last caution...

I was kindly pointed out towards one possible flaw with the Shure E5c. I haven't given it that much of a thought, because in this review, I've been focusing on trying to bring out the best characteristic in both earphones.

Sensitivity (at 1kHz): 122 dB SPL/mW

That spec right there, is the sensitivity rating on the Shure E5c. It is extremely source sensitive. So a side-effect of that, is out of most headphone amps, it will produce a background hiss due to the sensitivity of the headphone. I hear a slight "buzz" from my Gilmore V2 with the gain switch turned out to level 2. I hear a constant "hiss" from my Super Mini v6.2D.

Xin has offered to modify my Super Mini so it wouldn't produce that hiss by either lowering the gain or adding more resistors... but I never got around to sending it back (and started eyeing a Super Micro anyway)...

However, from most desk amps, this sort of specialized modification is probably not possible. This background "hiss" is probably considered unforgivable by some people. Especially if you listen to a music with a lot of "black notes". Personally that's not my normal genre, and I don't notice the hiss when there's music playing. To some people, it will definitely drive them nuts.

I don't know if Shure will have some sort of fix or solution to this problem... but it can definitely be a deal breaker for those people who's considering a Shure E5c. If not for this one flaw, this earphone would've been near perfect.

Oct 19, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 112
I forgot to add one more thing... once again, this review wouldn't be possible without Dunbar.

He kindly sent me his own ER-4P so I can write this comparision... Otherwise I would've been $200 into the hole again!

biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 112
Good review. I expect flames, but I would not worry about it. I have the 4S's and absolutely love them, but I have not heard the Shure's. I use the foamies though, I cannot deal with the rubber tips. They've got to be really good though to be the ety's...I wouldn't call their bass weak at all though. It is deep and accurate. In any case, what's the word on isolation? Which offer more protection from outside sound? This really is an important point for me, as I am usually using them on planes or in very loud environments.
Thanks for the review,
Stuart

Oct 19, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 112
Very good review! Thanks. One suggestion though...there's no pic of the E5c itself and I was wondering what it looked like. Could you add one?

Sound is totally subjective, I see no reason for flames. Like you said..$500 in $500. I'm not about to go rush out and buy the E5c even if it is better than what I have
smily_headphones1.gif

Although the comparing the ER-4 to the HD580 part was a stretch. I don't think they sound anything alike.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 112
For anyone reading Lindrone is sending me a 4S adapter cable no-charge! Your reviews are bar-none the best on this site. I still think the custom-mold review of the E5 is the best thread I've ever read.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 112
On the isolation aspect... Actually both canalphone offered about the same isolation. However, since the E5c is much more comfortable.. and it doesn't have that "slippage" problem I described... it's my preference in isolation over the Ety for comfort reasons.

However, you should know that the "isolation" has a lot to do with the material used in the tips themselves... which also affects the sound characteristics. The tri-flange tip in general, for all canalphones, offer the best acoustic characteristic, but the least amount of isolation. If you read my review about the E5c with its various fitting options, I did make note of isolation in the different tips. Foam is better than the tri-flange for isolation, the E5c's standard silicon tip option (not a tri-flange) also offers better isolation than the tri-flange. Either way, in this case, your choice of using the foam with the Ety is definitely the way to go.

On the issue of bass... well, I used to think that HD-580's bass is "deep and accurate". The Ety's bass reminds me much of the HD-580. I thought that's all the bass I would ever need until I heard a pair of Sony CD3000's.. then I realized how much I was missing in the presence of sound. That's why I think the bass on the Ety isn't enough. If a soundtrack (such as the OutKast CD I suggested) was originally intended to blow your brains away, and somehow through your headphone it doesn't reproduce that type of sound.. then isn't the headphone lacking in accurate reproduction? All that said.. the Ety's bass isn't bad, it's would be a personal preference for a lot of people. Especially if you can't take the sensation of a canalphone blowing your head away. I have to admit, sometimes listening to my E5c for a long time does seem to overwhelm my senses...

On whether or not an amp improves the canalphone?... Most definitely they do... Although, the improvement I felt through the Ety ER-4's are not as dramatic as the E5's. This is another thing about the E5's high price.. you're paying a high price for a lot of "potential" gains. E5's sound better than ER-4 coming straight out of an iPod.. but once you get it into a Gilmore V2 with a good source.. that difference between the ER-4's reproduction and the E5's becomes much more significant. The higher you go with your source and amp, the higher the E5 will extend.

The ER-4 also improves much when you use an amp with it... just in comparison not as dramatic. I do definitely recommend using the P->S adaptor cable, when I used the P through the amp, it seem to have lost some of its midrange "magic"... while it's retained beautifully with the P->S adaptor cable.

The beauty with both of these canalphones though.. is that they will sound terrific through your portable without an amp.. and they'll grow with you even when you do get an amp.

I'll make one last statement still, as much as I admire both of these earphones, I would never remotely suggest that they can beat out a pair of adequately powered headphones. A pair of HD-580 with the Gilmore V2 sounds much more "complete" than the ER-4S coming out of it. I actually think the E5c sounds better than the HD-580 out of the Gilmore V2... but there's no way that the E5c can be better than a Sony CD3000 coming out of the V2....

Now, if you're talking unpowered.. then I would actually prefer both of these canalphones over the HD-580... but still not the CD3000... hehehee.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Very good review! Thanks. One suggestion though...there's no pic of the E5c itself and I was wondering what it looked like. Could you add one?

Sounds is totally subjective, I see no reason for flames. Like you said..$500 in $500. I'm not about to go rush out and buy the E5c even if it is better than what I have
smily_headphones1.gif

Although the comparing the ER-4 to the HD580 part was a stretch. I don't think they sound anything alike.

I don't want to post all those images again in this thread.. because I almost killed the last thread with too many pics... But there are plenty of pics here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&highlight=e5

It's the original thread where I reviewed the E5c.... You can also visit Shure's homepage for better lit, more artistically shot images..

http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e5c.asp

As for the ER-4 to HD-580 comparison.. well, you're right, they're not really alike at all. I'm trying to use the comparison of the sound characteristic differences between the HD-580 and the CD3000 and equating that to the differences between the ER-4 and the E5c. I think it's really the best estimate of the sound quality difference I can make out of the headphone set-ups I've heard personally.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
As for the ER-4 to HD-580 comparison.. well, you're right, they're not really alike at all. I'm trying to use the comparison of the sound characteristic differences between the HD-580 and the CD3000 and equating that to the differences between the ER-4 and the E5c. I think it's really the best estimate of the sound quality difference I can make out of the headphone set-ups I've heard personally.

I don't think it was entirely effective since not a lot of people have heard both the HD580 and CD3000 (at least I haven't). But anyway...

I really love the Ety's for their detail, clarity and neutrality, but I do agree that the bass is rather weak and the sound lacks the punch that other headphones have. I have my Grados for that, thankfully
smily_headphones1.gif
But I hate bass that's overwhelming or present when not welcome. Is the E5c like that? I'd rather have lean bass than that.

And I know how hard it is to write a comparison of two headphones where one obviously outclasses the other and not have it sound like you're totally trashing that other headphone and that it isn't any good.
tongue.gif
I think you did a good job of handling that though.

Thanks for the links, BTW.
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit] Sorry for all the edits, I simply cannot type tonight in my posts.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 112
Thanks for the review. Hoo boy, those Shures are tempting!
evil_smiley.gif
But you're right, they are just too much loot unless perhaps they are going to be one's main headphone....

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 112
Rizumu... if you like the bass with your Grado's, you definitely won't find any problem with the bass in the Shure E5c. Their bass is similar in that "punchiness" to them, but they'[re not overpowering like some fake Sony Megabass thing
wink.gif

Daycart... $500 is insane.. but if you look at the other thread and saw how much I spent on custom molding... oh man.. In retrospect, I could have a MPX3 and a Sony CD3K with the money I spent on this thing... LOL.

I never realized just how true that "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.." rings true... You know what, in retrospect, I hate all of you guys!.. You made me do this!! I hate you all!!!!

evil_smiley.gif

BTW... now eyeing an ATH-A900... hehehee...

Oct 19, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 112
Quote:

Rizumu... if you like the bass with your Grado's, you definitely won't find any problem with the bass in the Shure E5c. Their bass is similar in that "punchiness" to them, but they'[re not overpowering like some fake Sony Megabass thing
wink.gif

GOOD. I hate that crap. Canal phones with Grado bass....mmmmmmmmm.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I never realized just how true that "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.." rings true... You know what, in retrospect, I hate all of you guys!.. You made me do this!! I hate you all!!!!

evil_smiley.gif

BTW... now eyeing an ATH-A900... hehehee...

I couldn't agree more. I hate this place.
tongue.gif

Buy the Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster as well, I really liked that and want to know how the A900 compares.

very_evil_smiley.gif
Mwahahaha

Oct 19, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 112
I just found a possible problem of the Shure E5c that could easily be a deal-breaker for some people...

It's a "hissing" problem with amps that has high gains (and with the sensitivity of the Shure E5c, just about all desk amps are "high gain" in comparison)... He's going to look into it some more... seeing if he's just got a defective unit, or is it truly a problem coming out of everything.

He's getting "hiss" coming out of portable CD players, and just about everything under the sun. I get some hiss from certain amps, and a little bit of a "buzz" on some other amps.. but nothing quite as severe as what he's experiencing.

For now, I amended my review to include a cautionary part...

Hopefully he'll get another unit to test out to see if what he's got now is a lemon..

Oh yeah.. did Rizumu say anything about some other headphone?.. What was that?.. Can't.. seem.. to.. make.. it.. out......

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 112
One thing I like to contribute to this is that, IMO HD580 doesn't not match well with Gilmore V2 at all. There are a lot of head-fiers very happy with their HD-600 and Gilmore V2, but something was seriously lacking in that combo for me to enjoy them - mainly a certain presence about the bass was lacking. Gilmore works much better with low impedance phones such as SR-225 and CD3000.

Quote:

In retrospect, I could have a MPX3 and a Sony CD3K with the money I spent on this thing... LOL.

Sounds like my rig has a secret admirer
wink.gif

Great review, maybe this will start one of them "CD3000 vs HD600"-esque flame war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back