Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #331 of 686
Feb 24, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #333 of 686
Interested in the non-balanced BaX with the MMCX connector for some Shure SE846... Seems that everything I've read from people using it with that IEM is negative, however... Loose connectors that sometimes short out signal, a muddy quality imparted to the sound, withdrawn highs and vocals, etc. etc... Seems most SE846 user find it to be just overall a much poorer option than the stock Shure cable.

Sucks to read, because I'd love a really nice thin cable that would wear like nothing...

Anybody have different luck with these cables and their SE846?... Or is the jury pretty much in on the BaX paired with the SE846?

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #334 of 686
Interested in the non-balanced BaX with the MMCX connector for some Shure SE846... Seems that everything I've read from people using it with that IEM is negative, however... Loose connectors that sometimes short out signal, a muddy quality imparted to the sound, withdrawn highs and vocals, etc. etc... Seems most SE846 user find it to be just overall a much poorer option than the stock Shure cable.

Sucks to read, because I'd love a really nice thin cable that would wear like nothing...

Anybody have different luck with these cables and their SE846?... Or is the jury pretty much in on the BaX paired with the SE846?

The SE846 has a 9 ohm impedance, doesn't it? This means that the maximum output impedance at which it can maintain the correct dampening factor is (9/8 = 1.125) 1.125 ohm. The regular Linum Bax by itself has an impedance of 1.5 Ohm which you must add to the output impedance of your source. This means that anything with an output impedance of more than minus 0.375 ohm will mess with the sound of your SE846 using a Linum Bax. For instance - using my PB2 with my (~40ohm) K10, the Linum Bax had a small, but audible impact on the sound, suggesting that the added 1,5 ohms of resistance pushed it past a certain point. With the AK120II, I don't hear this change, leading me to believe that the total output impedance of my PB2 (Topkit, other buffers, etc) and Linum Bax was >5 ohm. With the AK120II having an output impedance of 1 ohm from the balanced output, adding the regular Linum Bax only gives me an effective impedance of 2.5ohms, well below the ~5 ohm breakpoint for my K10. 

TL;DR You need the new low-impedance Super Bax for your SE846.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #335 of 686
The SE846 has a 9 ohm impedance, doesn't it? This means that the maximum output impedance at which it can maintain the correct dampening factor is (9/8 = 1.125) 1.125 ohm. The regular Linum Bax by itself has an impedance of 1.5 Ohm which you must add to the output impedance of your source. This means that anything with an output impedance of more than minus 0.375 ohm will mess with the sound of your SE846 using a Linum Bax. For instance - using my PB2 with my (~40ohm) K10, the Linum Bax had a small, but audible impact on the sound, suggesting that the added 1,5 ohms of resistance pushed it past a certain point. With the AK120II, I don't hear this change, leading me to believe that the total output impedance of my PB2 (Topkit, other buffers, etc) and Linum Bax was >5 ohm. With the AK120II having an output impedance of 1 ohm from the balanced output, adding the regular Linum Bax only gives me an effective impedance of 2.5ohms, well below the ~5 ohm breakpoint for my K10. 

TL;DR You need the new low-impedance Super Bax for your SE846.

Another point I'm confused on, ha ha... Reading back in this thread, I came to the point where the Balanced BaX with the 2.5mm plug for Astell & Kern was introduced, and then it seems people were throwing around the term "Super BaX"... So Super BaX is the Balanced BaX... Correct? Or is Super BaX the regular BaX T2 on their website, and I've come into the world of Linum to0 late to have been aware of an earlier iteration? The balanced version with a 2.5mm plug won't work unless I re-terminate it... As my source takes a full size 6.3 (1/4" plug) I couldn't even use an adaptor, unless I wanted to use two adaptors... 2.5 to 3.5 to 6.3... I'm confused, ha ha...

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #336 of 686
I was confused at first too.
SuperBax = prototype that's not in mass production yet. (=not on their website)
Balanced Bax = balanced bax cable for A&K 1.5ohm
http://www.linum.dk/product-overview/

9Ω @ 1khz - that's just crazy low
I think it's kind of sketchy they don't publish it on their website, I had to dig trough the user manual to confirm Sorensiim's suspicion.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #337 of 686

I think it's kind of sketchy they don't publish it on their website, I had to dig trough the user manual to confirm Sorensiim's suspicion.

Cool, thanks for the info... So when is the Super BaX supposed to drop? I did a google search, couldn't find any info...

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #338 of 686
Feb 24, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #340 of 686
According to the information I received from Estron yesterday it's still indecisive. Estron has made a sign up list for the Linum Super Bax. When/if the list reaches 100 signups, they will contact the interested and build 100 Super BaX (limited edition). Despite the rather hefty price I have signed up
wink.gif

Thank you for the updated information!  What is the price of the Super BaX you signed up for (in USD) if you don't mind?

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #342 of 686
Not sure if I'm allowed to quote Estron on the price they have stated
rolleyes.gif

Will ask for their confirmation in the morning and post that asap

Okay, no worries.  Thanks for the update. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #343 of 686
I just bought this cable from a local distribution company 4 miles from my work for my JVC HA-FX850 and I have to say there was a drastic improvement in sound quality. I can not believe how thin and soft the cable is. So if anyone is in the states there are a few distibuters here one in Minnesota and one in California. PM me if you need help getting one I have one of the distributors name and number.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #344 of 686

Adding to the confusion, the new (0,75ohm) cable will be called the "Super Balanced" in the 2.5mm TRRS config I have. 

I typed up my review of it yesterday, now it just needs some proof reading and it should be ready to post 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back