Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Dec 18, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #286 of 686
There's no other way to put it, the new Linum interconnects are just plain sexy.

The 20cm variant fits my DX90/PB2 stack perfectly. The cable is so thin that it easily fits between the units held together by low-profile 3M DualLock.Sonically I must admit that I can't hear the slightest bit of difference between the Linum IC and my solid core pure silver IC. Changing cables takes 5-10 seconds and maybe using a dedicated A/B/X box you would be able to pick up on any audible differences between the two. The 3.5 mm connectors are positively tiny as you can see. I would have preferred angled connectors, but these don't protrude much more than my shortened Neutrik plugs so it's no big deal (to me, anyways). Still, if Linum comes up with a similarly tiny, angled variant of this connector, I'll be lining up to buy it!

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #287 of 686
  Using the Linum Bax with my K10 on my DX90/PB2 rig, I noted an overall drop in volume. That, and a slight shift of the FR, leading to a somewhat smaller soundstage and a warmer tonality. I usually can't tell one cable from the other by their sound alone, but this change was pretty clear to me. Some might like it or it may suit their gear better, but I eventually went back to the Noble cable. A damn pity, because I wear my CIEMs all day and the ergonomics from the Linum Bax are simply to die for, WAY more comfortable than any other cable.

Thanks but I was more looking for a difference between balanced and non balanced, just looking at the Linum BaX cable. (not compared to the original cable)

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #288 of 686

Thanks but I was more looking for a difference between balanced and non balanced, just looking at the Linum BaX cable. (not compared to the original cable)

Ah, my bad! From (admittedly shady) memory, I'd say the difference is just like when going from single-ended to balanced with any other cable: A better sense of "control", resulting in in a more well-defined (sometimes larger) soundstage and tighter bass. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #289 of 686
I bought the bax 2 pin for my westone es5's about a month ago.  It was an impulse buy.  My second spare stock cable had just stopped working and I was sick of paying $75 for new stock cables that kept failing in the same places, and were not worth even a third of their price.

I am far from rough on my IEM's or cables but I clearly needed something stronger so I bought the linum.
I am not "a cable person" in the sense that i do not expect the sound quality to change, unless the cable is specifically built as such with added resistance or something.   This was simply a practical purchase.

My first reaction as i opened this cable and held it in my hand was "oh my, this thing feels like it is going to fall apart if i breathe on it wrong."  I found myself handling it very gently over the next few days for fear of snapping it.  My mind was literally having a difficult time processing the possibility that this cable could be strong or durable.  

Happily, my initial reaction quickly wore off.   After a few days of getting used to this impossibly thin and light cable, I started to get a feel for it.  This was in part because i had just gone from a 64" cable to this one which is a fair bit shorter.  This caused me to constantly misjudge how far i could go with it, which led to accidently yanking on it rather frequently.  

My other concern was that it was going to tangle easily.  I find this cable to be like any other in that regard.  If you wind and unwind it wakefully, it wont tangle.  If you dont, it will.  This is more what I would call "operator error" than the fault of the cable.  This is my way of saying I do not find this cable prone to tangling. 

I am not sure i can complain about the price of this cable. I have made cables in the past, so i know making a quality cable does not have to cost much, but this one is unique in its properties, so i really dont know how much it costs to make. 

All I can really say from here is that assuming it continues to stay functional for some time to come, this is a wonderful cable for all the obvious reasons.  Super thin, super light, super strong.  I only wish they made a longer version.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #291 of 686
Just got this cable for my FX850s and love it. SQ is amazing and it's just disappear on you. I wish, it would last long.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #293 of 686
Rocking a single-ended version of the Linum Bax... Dammit, it's one sexy looking cable!

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #294 of 686
has anyone sued ear guides with these and which ones?
i take my iems off during the day when folks talk to me at work and like to hang them over my ear but with the lightness of the cable my iems end up dropping down lol

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #295 of 686
Is the <1 ohm version out already? 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #296 of 686
  Is the <1 ohm version out already? 

Not yet in mass production, but I think they might hand build some on request...

I'm testing one of those hand built samples at the moment and I must say I kinda like it! Not as crazy thin as the regular Linum Bax, but still VERY soft and flexible.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #297 of 686
  Not yet in mass production, but I think they might hand build some on request...

I'm testing one of those hand built samples at the moment and I must say I kinda like it! Not as crazy thin as the regular Linum Bax, but still VERY soft and flexible.

Ooooh. I'm going to have to look into this option. It looks like it may be a bit more tangle resistant than the version I currently own while keeping that awesome comfort for glasses wearers.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #300 of 686

YES!, that sounds perfect 
etysmile.gif

My current Linum BAX has proven durable, but slightly thicker couldn't hurt IMO

Here's hoping Cosmic Ears will be offering these soon.

( 90 degree & recessed T2?, count me in for that too! )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back