[Review] Encore RockMaster OE (Over-Ear) - a superb $30 budget headphone [crowdfunding is LIVE]
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #32 of 45
I was too lazy to affix them, so just hung some extra pads on my ears and put the headphones on top then adjusted a bit to get them settled. I have a really wide jawline and often don't get a proper seal just below my ears, so the extra padding improves seal and bass for me. I felt the change in thickness also made for better staging for me.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 45
Nice bargain.. But the shipping cost $32? They should fix that.

Outside of USA and Canada.  The problem is that Indiegogo.com is not designed for selling cheap products.  We have to ship by FedEx or DHL directly from HK and there is no easy way to calculate shipping by country.  
We have asked many international customers to buy 2, or 5 pack bundle with the same shipping cost.  The Encore IE is really good and I would put one in each of my bags for casual use, and leave my very expensive NuForce Primo 8 at home for critical listening. 
Or buy OE + 2 IE bundle.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #37 of 45
Where are you located?

Indonesia.
Outside of USA and Canada.  The problem is that Indiegogo.com is not designed for selling cheap products.  We have to ship by FedEx or DHL directly from HK and there is no easy way to calculate shipping by country.  
We have asked many international customers to buy 2, or 5 pack bundle with the same shipping cost.  The Encore IE is really good and I would put one in each of my bags for casual use, and leave my very expensive NuForce Primo 8 at home for critical listening. 
Or buy OE + 2 IE bundle.

Yes that's true. The problem is if I have purchase more than $50 (total good price and shipment) I have to pay custom tax about 35%. I would love to try them both especially for IE.
The only way is I need to find other user from Indonesia, so we can share the shipment together. Unfortunately I still don't get them now :frowning2:

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #38 of 45

We will probably declare all the shipments out of HK as "gift" and demo samples. Because it will be very difficult for the logistic company to go through a list and specify a $ value on each package. There are hundreds of packages to be shipped.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #40 of 45
  There is another in-ear from a different OEM still being reviewed. Basically we take the OEM++ process as if we are going to make an "expensive" headphones, but stop short of completely changing the look & feel.

We evaluated some of the popular cheap headphones that you mentioned too, what we found is that they are good, but not quite there yet. For example, besides customizing the driver (there is a limit to what driver and how much to customer since it has to fit the existing housing), normally cheap headphones don't use high quality memory foam and that's another upgrade. We also invested in some tooling to align and shape the memory foam for better acoustic. Cable change. More acoustic tuning etc. 

The objective for this project is > good and cheap headphones out there, bring it closer to the good name brand sound quality, but below the retail price of cheap headphones.

This approach as its limit. There is also the saying of "you pay for what you get". 
The RockMaster IE is a very good sounding balanced armature + dynamic dual drivers in-ear that could have easily retail for $99 or $129.  Our approach has another limitation - we rely on crowdfunding for a single production. There is not enough margin for continue production (typically some of the profit from the first production help pay for the 2nd production and so on).  So here you go, buy while it last.  We will bring out something very different next time. 

International shipping cost is high for a single purchase, but if you combine RockMaster IE and OE, the shipping cost is the same as OE alone. Or some of you could buy as a group for 10-pack pricing with much lower shipping cost.

I backed your Encore project soon after it launched -- for both the OEM and IEM. I love your concept. I hope you'll try doing something similar with other audio products in the near future. Aside from producing more headphones, as you said above, I think a high quality, budget DAC/amp would be another excellent offering. It would best if you'd be able to make it compatible with as many devices as possible including laptops, phones, mp3 players, speakers/stereo, etc. Or perhaps you could offer two versions to cover a variety of devices. A DAC/amp is SO important to making audio sound its best since many of our devices lack quality audio components. It would clearly improve Encore's sound . . . and any other headphone/IEM, for that matter. I know you guys have experience in this area as well, and I believe you could make it happen. 
atsmile.gif
 Thanks so much for innovating at an affordable price. I look forward to receiving my products so I can write a full review!

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #41 of 45

I backed your Encore project soon after it launched -- for both the OEM and IEM. I love your concept. I hope you'll try doing something similar with other audio products in the near future. Aside from producing more headphones, as you said above, I think a high quality, budget DAC/amp would be another excellent offering.

Psst, they released the mDac last year... http://www.head-fi.org/t/736452/review-encore-mdac-portable-headphone-dac-amp-with-24bit-96khz-usb-input-for-mac-pc-iphone-with-camera-connection-kit-and-android-2-thumbs-up

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #42 of 45
Very soon, a portable (USB powered) DAC (PCM384, DSD256) retailing for $79 (plastic case) or $99 (aluminum case) but crowdfunding price much lower.  

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 45
Very soon, a portable (USB powered) DAC (PCM384, DSD256) retailing for $79 (plastic case) or $99 (aluminum case) but crowdfunding price much lower.  

jasonl:

Are we talking a small, battery-free DAC/Amp for smartphones and computers a la Calyx PaT and Cozoy Astrapi & Aegis?

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #44 of 45
can the time left for the indiegogo project be extended! 2 hours left!

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #45 of 45
tried to purchase the OE + IE but shipping extended to 32? not sure if the issue is rectified. Hopefully with the release of the USB DAC in the future, there would be surplus headphones and they will be on sale too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back