[Review] Encore RockMaster OE (Over-Ear) - a superb $30 budget headphone [crowdfunding is LIVE]
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 45
I couldn't find a general impressions thread, I'd start one, but don't have the time to upkeep the OP to keep track of all the good stuff (others' impressions, etc.).  

I got a pair of these in today along with their in ears.  It's an interesting sound, kind of v-shaped definitely bass-heavy in a way with a large open sound good for separation and layering.  Midrange seems to be receded a little with a strong focus on the bass that has a thick, yet punchy sound.  The treble is on the thinner end with good dynamics and separation; they sparkle quite well with good timbre overall.  The midrange tends towards the warmer, lusher side, in a way, it's kind of veiled.  Those are my initial ideas though, maybe it'll change as I use them more.  The pads will have to break in to conform to the shape of my head for sure.  

EDIT: definitely doesn't sound v-shaped, the treble and midrange is pretty level.  

Hi guys, I just got these in and have been using them for a few days to acclimate before chiming in. As I read through your impressions, it was like we were listening to a different headphone until I got to your edit :wink_face:

I wouldn't describe these as v-shaped. Here's what in hearing...

Well-extended bass without the usual mid-bass overemphasis you often find. Is it emphasized? Sure, but not excessively so. Could it be punchier or more textured? Sure, but we're talking entry-level cans here.

I think I'm hearing the same veil you described over the lower mids but find the upper mids pretty clear.

Upper end seems pretty relaxed to me. I'm not getting any v-shaped emphasis here. In fact, I'm used to a bit more sparkle up top.

Soundstage and instrument separation could use some work.

Ergonomically, these are pretty comfy for me. I like the roomy rectangular ear cups. Gives my ears room, so they're not cramped. It also gives them room to breathe, so they don't get too hot.

Build quality is good. These seem pretty tough, actually. And they don't creak, which is always a plus. I've got headphones many times this price point that creak when I move my head, which is really annoying!

So where do I see these being useful? I'd echo Armaegis and say these are good for throwing in your go-bag without fear that your expensive headphones will take a beating.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 45
Ergonomically, these are pretty comfy for me. I like the roomy rectangular ear cups. Gives my ears room, so they're not cramped. It also gives them room to breathe, so they don't get too hot.

Build quality is good. These seem pretty tough, actually. And they don't creak, which is always a plus. I've got headphones many times this price point that creak when I move my head, which is really annoying!

So where do I see these being useful? I'd echo @Armaegis and say these are good for throwing in your go-bag without fear that your expensive headphones will take a beating.

I actually did a mild stress test on mine today. Not quite as rigorous as the V-Moda military spec, but I did toss them down the stairs and they're just fine
cool.gif

And yeah, no creaking is always nice. I think that's potentially where the glued cups helps here, as sometimes those that are screwed down will cause the plastic to rub a bit. I've had many a "DJ" headphone that creaked when in use even with minimal head bobbing.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 45
I actually did a mild stress test on mine today. Not quite as rigorous as the V-Moda military spec, but I did toss them down the stairs and they're just fine :cool:

And yeah, no creaking is always nice. I think that's potentially where the glued cups helps here, as sometimes those that are screwed down will cause the plastic to rub a bit. I've had many a "DJ" headphone that creaked when in use even with minimal head bobbing.

Yup, I have a pair of Denons that creak like crazy and have A LOT more mid-bass than these - to the point of bloat.

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 45
  A 30 dollar headphone that holds it's own with 150 dollar headphones is very interesting. For 30 dollars is that even possible? And it's good quality sturdy design? Shipping in OCTOBER?! Damn you time!!!!!!!

I look forward to reading more reviews on these. If they are really that good I don't mind paying 59 dollars(I doubt they will stay at that price anyway). If it's that good it will destroy anything in the 60 dollar price range anyway.

I don't know I'm a skeptic -I would be very surprised if these sounded better than Takstar pro80(not that the takstars are that great but for the 40ish dollar price they're very ambitious).

What headphones in the 150 dollar price range would you compare them to Armaegis?

Don't sit on the sideline because this might be the ONLY production we are going to make.  I don't want to go into the details but margin this low make this project a ONE SHOT deal.  Under my supervision, my previous company develops many award winning earphones and I can assure you that I have a standard to maintain :wink:.  RockMaster IE or OE is the best deal for the price.
And I just made a shocking offer - I manage to obtain OEM version of NE-600X (http://www.wired.com/2012/10/nuforce-ne-600/) and will give one OEM 600X for free with every unit of IE or OE headphones that you purchased (100-pack bundle is excluded from this offer). 
I am sounding like the late night TV guy.  Why such a good deal? Because this project is a marketing project where we simply aim to break even (when all the cost are included), may be take a small loss, who knows.  We want people to take notice and support all our future project with similar business model.  

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 45
  What headphones in the 150 dollar price range would you compare them to Armaegis?

These are some my original reviews of headphones in that ~$150-200 range:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/512762/review-comparison-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

These are older reviews of mine, but you can get a sense of how I hear things and how they compare.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 45
Hi guys, I just got these in and have been using them for a few days to acclimate before chiming in. As I read through your impressions, it was like we were listening to a different headphone until I got to your edit
wink_face.gif

I wouldn't describe these as v-shaped. Here's what in hearing...

Well-extended bass without the usual mid-bass overemphasis you often find. Is it emphasized? Sure, but not excessively so. Could it be punchier or more textured? Sure, but we're talking entry-level cans here.

I think I'm hearing the same veil you described over the lower mids but find the upper mids pretty clear.

Upper end seems pretty relaxed to me. I'm not getting any v-shaped emphasis here. In fact, I'm used to a bit more sparkle up top.

Soundstage and instrument separation could use some work.

So where do I see these being useful? I'd echo @Armaegis and say these are good for throwing in your go-bag without fear that your expensive headphones will take a beating.

What headphones would you say they sound similar to? What are they on par with in terms of clarity?

Don't sit on the sideline because this might be the ONLY production we are going to make.  I don't want to go into the details but margin this low make this project a ONE SHOT deal.  Under my supervision, my previous company develops many award winning earphones and I can assure you that I have a standard to maintain :wink:.  RockMaster IE or OE is the best deal for the price.
And I just made a shocking offer - I manage to obtain OEM version of NE-600X (http://www.wired.com/2012/10/nuforce-ne-600/) and will give one OEM 600X for free with every unit of IE or OE headphones that you purchased (100-pack bundle is excluded from this offer). 
I am sounding like the late night TV guy.  Why such a good deal? Because this project is a marketing project where we simply aim to break even (when all the cost are included), may be take a small loss, who knows.  We want people to take notice and support all our future project with similar business model.  

See now I'm even more skeptical. 
biggrin.gif
 -Sorry I was just playing devil's advocate. I was trying to get Armaegis to compare them to a headphone in that price range. I don't mean to doubt your quality. I think the headphone market is such an open one especially in this 30-80 dollar price range -with the big companies focused on looks and style at a much more premium price.

Edit: If the sound quality is anywhere near the 100 dollar range -The head-fi world needs a headphone like this so I salute you sir and I don't think you'll have trouble making money on these at the 60 dollar price it's planned to sell at. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #23 of 45
  What headphones would you say they sound similar to? What are they on par with in terms of clarity?

See now I'm even more skeptical. 
biggrin.gif
 -Sorry I was just playing devil's advocate. I was trying to get Armaegis to compare them to a headphone in that price range. I don't mean to doubt your quality. I think the headphone market is such an open one especially in this 30-80 dollar price range -with the big companies focused on looks and style at a much more premium price.

Edit: If the sound quality is anywhere near the 100 dollar range -The head-fi world needs a headphone like this so I salute you sir and I don't think you'll have trouble making money on these at the 60 dollar price it's planned to sell at. 

I am not a "reviewer" so I should just compare against headphones that I have "developed" in the past.  RockMaster OE is better overall in sound quality than NuForce HP-800 (originally listed for $149). The IE is better than NE-600X and comparable to NE-700M. The reason HP-800 retails for more because a lot of cost went into tooling for the headphones. And sadly it was a compromised tooling effort and the design wasn't stylish.  Tooling is very expensive for headphones.  That's why for this Indiegogo project we want to try a different approach: improve the sound as much as we can, but not invest in expensive tooling or marketing. Instead pick good quality OEM house model. Since this project is a one shot production, brand consistency and identity is not a concern (i.e. again, no need for expensive tooling). 

Once we completed this project, we go on to the next.  We have no intention of repeatedly selling the same model for retail.  So if you miss it, too bad.  Another reason products are expensive is because of the stocking of inventory, discount and write off.  Will this business model work, I don't know. We shall find out.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 45
Encore is now offering a FREE OEM NE-600X with every purchase. This is a fantastic bonus on top of an already great deal. I posted more in the RockMaster IE thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775812/review-encore-rockmaster-ie-in-ear-well-rounded-30-budget-iem-crowdfunding-is-live#post_11838061

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 45
  Encore is now offering a FREE Nuforce NE-600X with every purchase. This is a fantastic bonus on top of an already great deal. I posted more in the RockMaster IE thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775812/review-encore-rockmaster-ie-in-ear-well-rounded-30-budget-iem-crowdfunding-is-live#post_11838061

It is an OEM 600X.  This is the only item that the OEM factory owns the design and the factory is selling the surplus item at a loss. Sometimes the factory made a wrong forecast and ended up with inventory that they can not get rid off.  I never said it is "NuForce" :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #26 of 45

It is an OEM 600X.  This is the only item that the OEM factory owns the design and the factory is selling the surplus item at a loss. Sometimes the factory made a wrong forecast and ended up with inventory that they can not get rid off.  I never said it is "NuForce" :)

Oh good point, I've edited my note above.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 45
Attempt at better photography...

Note the symbolism of the grand piano used a backdrop. It's not a Steinway, but Baldwin is a respectable name with some good heft to it. Or y'know... the piano was cleaner than my table. That's a good reason too.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 45
I pressed the ear pads under a stack of books for 20+ hours to make them more compressed and thinner. This will bring the speaker closer to the ear and wow, much better.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 45
  I pressed the ear pads under a stack of books for 20+ hours to make them more compressed and thinner. This will bring the speaker closer to the ear and wow, much better.

It's funny, I did the opposite and actually stacked extra pads on top to give more space. Just goes to show how we all hear things so differently sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back