REVIEW - Encore mDAC portable headphone DAC/amp with 24bit/96kHz USB input - for Mac/PC, iPhone with Camera Connection Kit, and Android - 2 THUMBS UP
Dec 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 77
I've taken a picture of my audio config options, they don't look like those present from the PC Enthusiast review as no 32 bit option exists. 
Also I've experienced pops and crackles when using a full sized headset, fewer issues with iems (Havi B3). 

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #47 of 77
You are comparing different thing: DAC+amp versus amp.  Android USB support is still messy, some do it very well, and others don't support at all. Same issue with DLNA and Miracast support.
So obviously if you have an Android phone and have difficulty with USB DAC, then the next best option is to get a headphone amp only.  

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #48 of 77
  I've taken a picture of my audio config options, they don't look like those present from the PC Enthusiast review as no 32 bit option exists. 
Also I've experienced pops and crackles when using a full sized headset, fewer issues with iems (Havi B3). 

The check box "Allow application to take exclusive control of this device" should be checked. It was hidden behind your drop down list so I can't see the setting. 
You can also go to the Supported Format tab on the same Properties screen to test different sample rates whether you get any sound (the Test button will generate a left and right tone).

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #49 of 77
The box is checked and I've tested and checked off every sampling rate option, no problem there. 

-Update, just tried it on my sister's computer and it appears to work just fine so far, all those missing options pop up, 32-bit and all. She's also rather enjoying it. If nothing goes wrong with her using it I'll post a review later on using the t50rp, superlux 681, Havi B3, and maybe the Mikros 90. I think I owe it to you guys after taking over the thread for tech support heh. 

-I wonder if the issue has something to do with OTG drivers as it appears to work fine on Windows 8 systems. 

-Last edit here: I'm going to return this while I'm able to. I did everything I could to make it work on my system, from reinstalling drivers in my audio setup and usb hub to cleaning out my registry and nothing worked. FOr the record I thought the encore mDac added a bit of extra depth, a more "silent" background, and better positioning when it did work. It also added some liveliness to the V-Moda m80 and Superlux 681. However there appears to be a hardware problem at work here and I find myself unable to use it witht he source I had intended it for, so those hoping to use this device on a windows 7 computer may want to be a bit wary. (It may also have something to do with the USB 3.0 hub my laptop has, but I'm still not sure). 

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #50 of 77

Since it works on your sister's computer and many others that we have sold, I think this is clearly not a mDAC hardware issue as there is no custom USB driver required. It uses standard USB communication chip that are in many other DACs.  I guess you have to return it to Amazon where you bought it.  Perhaps it is time to upgrade your computer :wink:

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #51 of 77
Well for future reference (And I'll make this my last post here so people can get on with posting impressions and the like) my laptop is an alienware 14 (2013) running windows 7 64 bit. My sister's computer is a dell branded laptop running windows 8 64 bit (purchased a few months ago this year for ~250.00). Hopefully the info I've provided might help if someone else runs into this problem.   

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #52 of 77
BTW, for those who want to discuss the Companion One, I created a thread dedicated to it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751221/celsus-sound-companion-one-32-384-usb-ios-android-24-192-wi-fi-dac-amplifier

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #55 of 77
Is there a solution to enable 32-bit on Windows 7? I seem to have the same 16-bit issue.

I connect through a hub, would connecting directly to the computer solve anything?

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #56 of 77
mDAC can only support 24bit/96kHz decoding.  The USB driver will says 32bit because the driver chip inside can handle 32-bit but the DAC is only 24-bit.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #57 of 77
Mine only says 16-bit in the Windows 7 sound options. Was there ever a solution or a confirmed case of 32-bit being displayed in the Windows 7 Sound Options? I understand it will only perform 24-bit decoding, but my computer doesn't have the 32-bit option, only 16-bit.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #58 of 77
I picked up the Encore mDac in September and had it in use at work on both my Win 7 work PC and in use with my LG G3 Android phone.  It worked (note the past tense) great, and sounded better than expected for the $60 USD I paid for it on Amazon.  Unfortuntaly, one day it just up and quite working with my LG G3 using the OTG USB cable.  A week later it stopped working with my Win 7 work PC.  I tried it at home on my MacBook Air, my wife's Win 10 lagtop, and with the iPad Air 2 using the camera connection kit.  Much to my dismay, the mDac no longer works with any of the devices.  I contacted Encore via their site form and received no response. I later tried the email on their site and did get an answer.  They directed me to TDSS who handles their US customer support.  TDSS advised me to ship it (at my cost, but that is to be expected) back to them and they would replace the unit.  I am going to ship it off tomorrow and hope the new one works a bit longer than 4 months.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #59 of 77
Unfortunately, my mDAC stopped working with recent OS X 10.11

when I'm plugging my device, I'm getting following messages in system.log

Code:
Jan 22 17:09:56 cleg kernel[0]: 000552.828918 IOUSBHostDevice@14120000: IOUSBHostDevice::start: device descriptor is invalid
Jan 22 17:09:56 cleg kernel[0]: 000552.830996 AppleUSB20HubPort@14120000: AppleUSB20HubPort::resetAndCreateDevice: failed to start device
Jan 22 17:09:56 cleg kernel[0]: 000552.831017 AppleUSB20HubPort@14120000: AppleUSB20HubPort::resetAndCreateDevice: failed to create device (0xe00002e9), disabling port
Jan 22 17:09:56 cleg kernel[0]: 000552.831106 AppleUSB20HubPort@14120000: AppleUSBHostPort::resetGated: retrying enumeration in 100 ms

Is anyone tried mDAC with OS X El Capitan?

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #60 of 77
Update 1  - I contacted TDSS on 12/22 regarding my warranty request.  They responded on 12/28.  I shipped the device to them and it was received (according to UPS tracking) on 1/8.  After a promise that a replacement unit would be sent out, I was happy.  A few days went by with radio silence.  I contacted them via the "email" option they offer on the support site to see if they hand any updates.  I was informed that they did not have any replacement units to send off, and they would have to source components to fix my device.  I asked how long that would take and have received no response answering my question.  It is now 1/30 and I have been without the Encore mDac for over a month now.  Hopefully it is repaired and shipped back soon.  I really miss having this at work, where it was used daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back