Review: Double Helix Sennheiser Limited Edition cable
Oct 23, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #76 of 103
I got the Double Helix cable SE done for my HD600 as a replacement for my Cardas 'Smurf' Cable, which initially was a nice upgrade from the stock cable. Initial listening impressions on the Double Helix reveals a clearer, crisper, more textural variety to the sound. Highs are refined, not sibilant, with more air. Bass have more textures and tight, solid feel. Soundstage has depth and expansive, more air around instruments. I could go on and on....

I thought the HD600 with the Double Helix cable sounded more musical, instruments sounded more realistic, especially drums, cymbals, piano and strings do sounded like their real-life selves. In short, the cable is natural and neutral.

After several weeks listening, I switched back and forth between the stock, Cardas and the Double Helix, and my initial impressions were reinforced as the cable now imparts slightly more warmth to the overall sound. The Cardas sounded great but there is a little trace of 'artificialness' to the sound, sort of ''greyness'' with the highs not that extended and bass seems recessed. The stock cable is...well...after trying all the my upgrade cables, the stock seems lifeless...

It may be cliched, but I do agree with previous posters on the quality of this cable...

Holding it in my hand, I felt the construction is quite professional, clean and tidy. It's a tri-braided cable yet very flexible, like the stock. The Cardas, slightly thicker is stiffer in comparison.

I noticed Pete recently come out with newer construction for the cable...in his words, a "Superstar" geometry isolates left/right twisted pairs...tho I wonder if there is any difference in terms of the sound....I just wished that he did that earlier for my cable
confused_face.gif
...now I getting the "upgraditis" itch again....
frown.gif

One thing I now noticed is I'm beginning to notice the limitations of my source and amp!

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #77 of 103
When A/Bing two cables it's much easier to hear different connectors and wire than the geometry, although from a technical standpoint I agree more with a dual-twisted-pair configuration than a quad flat braid or round braid. I've seen cables built a lot of ways...the main advantage of the "superstar" style is making the cable more round and compact. The new geometry is more noticeable on Hd800s, in any case.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter sucks! Down with Peter!!!!
tongue.gif

[size=medium]PETER'S NUCLEOTIDE ATE MY BABY![/size]

atsmile.gif

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #80 of 103
Yes, the babies were being raised in an aluminum case, and one day it just got in there....

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the babies were being raised in an aluminum case, and one day it just got in there....

atsmile.gif

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #82 of 103
DHC "Complement" Flagship Balanced Cable

For Sennheiser HD800

Double Helix Cables

Here's mine on Peter's burn in station getting toasty:

Silver wire version.

OPENS the sound up vs stock.

Build quality: NICE!

Peter's a pleasure to do business with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #83 of 103
Oh damn, that was your cable? Did the B-52 come like you said you ordered? Awesome! The SCSCag wire is ridiculous, I believe this is the first HD800 cable out there to use it, and yeah I didn't want to part with that cable.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh damn, that was your cable? Did the B-52 come like you said you ordered? Awesome! The SCCCag wire is ridiculous, I believe this is the first HD800 cable out there to use it, and yeah I didn't want to part with that cable.

Yep, the B52 and those cables go together real nice.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #86 of 103
I am new around these forums. I am happy to found you guys but of course my wallet is getting lighter and lighter because of it. Anyway last Sat almost midnight I sent Peter an email inquiry and he responded right away. I needed a cable for my AKG K702 (okay I didn't really need it), but I ended up ordering Nucleotide w/ clear Teflon & Furutech ¼” cable. He built it Sun and today (Mon) I already got the shipping number - talk about great service! Here is the picture he sent me (if I do this right - again, newbie(!)):
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/z..._AKG_cable.jpg

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #87 of 103
OK sorry for a dumb question - how do I get the picture to display in my post?

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #88 of 103
Go with the
around your link.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #89 of 103
Got my DHC headphone cable: Nucleotide w/ clear Teflon & Furutech ¼” cable - the Teflon is clear enough that you can see the copper braids inside
url]

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #90 of 103
So close, and yet so far. Put the

Users who are viewing this thread

Back