REVIEW: Denon D2000 vs Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs Sony MDR XB700
Jan 29, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

everettjsj2

New Head-Fier
Introduction

Firstly, I must ask in advance, for lenience from you all as this is not only my first review but also one of my first posts as a head-fi member. I started off in audio when I spent part of a scholarship on some speakers that I thought looked nice (I knew nothing about Hi-Fi then). It turns out that my shot in the dark befell me with the B&W 602 S3s, which I now absolutely love. I am 22 years old and I grew up playing in a chamber orchestra as a first violinist; so naturally, I love classical music. I also enjoy, however, a dose of modernity and digitalism, rendered in many forms of dance, house, dub-step, hip-hop, etc. I am not a “basshead” per se, but I do appreciate it in said modern music where it deserves to be impactful, and well-represented. It is important to note that electronic/house/dance music also tends to have some of the absolute poorest quality bass. You have to be careful what you choose to listen to if you want smooth, tight, and impactful bass. I needed closed headphones that would offer me the best performance over the broadest spectrum of music while also not being overtly expensive. In this review, I will try to simultaneously comment on and compare the following headphones:

•Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm (150+ hours burned in)
•Denon AH-D2000 Headphones (300+ hours burned in)
•Sony MDR-XB700 headphones (20+ hours burned in)

I will be using a Pro-Ject USB Box (DAC) and Foobar as my source(s) going to a Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier; and I have tried my best to find high quality tracks in several different genres to compare. The songs will be:

•David Guetta ft. Kid Cudi - Memories 1086 kbps (House/Dance)
•Deadmau5 - Soma 426 kbps (House/Dance)
•Vibrasphere - Erosion 500kbps (Electronic)
•Calvin Harris – Flashback 440kbps (House)
•Diana Krall – The Look of Love 256 kbps (Jazz)
•Youn San Nah - Calypso Blues 256 kbps (Jazz)
•Ana Caram – Fly Me to the Moon 256 kbps (Jazz/Brazilian)
•Ralph Kirshbaum - Bach- Suite No.1 in G Major, II. Allemande 579 kbps (Classical-Solo)
•Mozart – Cassation K 99 – Allegro 1235 kbps (Classical-Orchestra)
•Govi –Language of the Heart 500 kbps (Classical guitar)

Notable Aspects
Youn Sun Nah - Calypso Blues : Absolutely stunning wispy and dream-like vocals, prominent acoustic upright bass.
Deadmau5 - Soma: Powerful, great-quality, synthesized low-frequencies. Not much mid or upper range. This song will be used to demonstrate bass response in the three phones.
Kirshbaum – Cello Suite: Solo cello, audiophile-recommended recording.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 vs Denon D2000 vs Sony MDR-XB700

Let me just state that I do not actually believe that the Sonys can really be honestly compared with the Beyers or the Denons. I am partly doing this for “bassheads” purely as a comparison of low frequencies between the three. Both the Beyers and the Sonys have a strong reputation for monster bass, so I wanted to test it myself. As far as full spectrum frequency response and musical fidelity goes, it’s between the Beyers and the Denons.

Some Simple Specs:

DT 770
Price paid (C$): 199
Impedance (Ω): 80
Freq. Response: 5 - 35 kHz
Weight (g): 270

D2000
Price paid (C$): 350
Impedance (Ω): 25
Freq. Response: 5 - 45 kHz
Weight (g): 350

MDR-XB700
Price paid (C$): 130
Impedance (Ω): 24
Freq. Response: 3 - 28 kHz
Weight (g): 295

Some Photos:

LD-hookah-BWs.jpg

Beyer.jpg

denon.jpg

sonys.jpg

For the headphone comparison I will be keeping the amp (Little Dot) and source (Pro-Ject USB Box DAC) consistent. The only thing I will be doing is flipping the Little Dot’s Gain switches back and forth between low-gain and higher-gain positions to accommodate the difference in impedance.

i) Synthesized Music Test (House, Electronic) (Deadmau5 , Vibrasphere, Calvin Harris, David Guetta)

MDR-XB700: The first part of Soma is mostly a synthesized steady bass beat with not much else to listen to. I pressed play, the beat kicked in and the XB700s hit me like a ton of low-fidelity bricks. The next songs--with full spectrum sound--were worse. The bass was thunderous and boomy, and everything else in the spectrum totally washed out and muffled. The soundstage was very narrow compared to the other phones. These headphones sound like the iPod/iTunes “bass booster” equalization setting

D2000: Competing with the reputed “bass monster” headphones from beyer and sony, the D2000 is no slouch in terms of bass representation. First of all, It was heavenly to put these on after the Sonys, and I felt myself thinking “There’s the rest of the music”. It almost sounded like a different song altogether. The D2000s redefined the low end and the multiple constituents of each bass note could be easily heard. Instrumentals and synth sounded fantastic but the intense sibilance was quick to fatigue me. The mids were slightly dampened compared to the DT770s.

DT 770: With the same two tracks, the DT 770s rendered the music to a dancehall-like experience. The lows were extended and the soundstage was expansive. I could really feel the force of inaudible lows and the high velocity air that the DT770s moved, which is the same reason that live dance/house concerts are so immersive. Synthesized instrumentals sounded liquid-like, rich, and warm. The Little Dot most likely assisted in bringing out this aspect of the DT770s.

ii) Acoustic Music Test. (Jazz, Classical) (Youn Sun Nah, Diana Krall, Ana Caram, Ralph Kirschbaum, Mozart, Govi)

MDR-XB700: Vocals were muffled, accoustic upright bass sounded like poor quality synthesized bass. Highs were gone. Classical music sounded as if you couldn’t afford tickets to the Carnegie Hall performance so you placed your ear against the building instead.

D2000: Again, it was a relief to put these cans on after the sonys, and I was thrilled by their performance except for in the midrange where they were recessed. Bass extension was good, guitar sounded great, vocals were a little bit too weightless and sibilant for this type of music and my tastes. Acoustic guitar was again, too piercing. We know guitar doesn’t pierce like this in real life. Soundstage was very expansive—especially in the classical music. I think that is the strong suit of these headphones. The classical songs were again, too sibilant. High notes on a violin should be musical, not ear piercing.

DT 770: The Beyers really shone in this music genre. Diana Krall’s voice regained the creamy richness that she is famous for; Youn Sun Nah’s airy voice was chilling—goosebump triggering—also without being sibilant and harsh, as was the case with the Denons. When you listen to Spanish or classical guitar live, you hear things like: the guitarists fingers sliding along the ridged steel strings, the woody resonance of a plucked and left open note, and the warm tones emanating from the guitar’s body. All of these aspects were rendered beautifully. All annoying sibilance was removed and the listening experience was relaxing and life-like. Classical was beautiful with a large soundstage. The rosined-bows gripping the strings was easily heard and the cellos wrought out warmth and richness and double basses rumbled viscously. Highs of the violins were sailing above the rest of the frequency range and were incredibly lively and engaging.

Conclusion:

MDR-XB 700:
I noticed once, that a head-fi member had in his signature, quoting somebody else obviously, “’I want a nightclub on my head’ –Basshead” Well if that is what you are looking for, the Sonys are for you provided that you do not care at all about sound quality. In my opinion, the MDR-XB700 are really a pretty awful pair of headphones. For $60 more, you could have yourself a lovely pair of Beyerdynamics that sound worlds better. The Sony MDR-XB700 would be best suited, I imagine, to a person that might also wish to install a cheap, obnoxious, after-market muffler into their Honda civic or Ford Taurus.
My most lasting impression sonically, is that listening to these cans is like listening to a loudspeaker through a pillow. Bass is boomy and distorted, mids and highs are nonexistent. I was able to improve the sound by setting my iTunes eq to “treble booster”. For people that are considering buying these headphones, please, for your own sake, buy something else. If you are looking for a cost-effective option, I have heard much cheaper headphones that sound much better. On a positive note, they look pretty nice and are very comfortable.
Pros: Comfort, aesthetics, low price
Cons: Sound quality. Super-short cord.

D2000: These headphones look fantastic, feel fantastic, and sound great. The drivers are close to the ear, which, in my opinion, offers a more intimate listening experience (depending on your preference, you may not want this). The D2000s feel great on the head, and are very low-profile compared to the other two phones (they don’t jut out from your skull as far) and just by looking at/handling them, you realize the superior build-quality and finer materials. On the downside, the Denons are highly sibilant and have a recessed midrange in comparison to the Beyers. One thing to note about these headphones is that they are made out of very high-quality materials and components. I think a lot of their retail cost goes to the “design” aspect of the headphones. The Beyers, on the other hand, give me the opposite sentiment—that being most of the retail cost is represented by the drivers and electrical components.
Pros: Comfort, aesthetics, construction, soundstage
Cons: Higher price, recessed midrange, sibilance.

DT 770: One word, all-round. Okay, maybe that was two words, but I really believe that the DT 770s perform well across the board. If you are like me, and listen to a crazy spectrum of music genres, these are the phones for you. The bass extension and mid representation are phenomenal, and the large distance between the drivers and the ears makes for a lifelike listening experience (It reminds me most of listening to loudspeakers in a rectangular room). The Beyers will strike you as hideously unattractive if you are into chic designs, or…..Bose. I personally like them because they look like (and actually are when customized with a microphone) an aviation headset—militaristic quality, kind of. I also like the velour material on the ear pads. It doesn’t feel as hot and heavy as the leather on the Denons. Much better for a warm/humid climate or summer listening. My one qualm with the Beyers is the crappy adjustment of the headband. It is finicky and doesnt adjust smoothly. Beyer owners will know what I mean by that.
Pros: Bass Extension, Bass Impact, Midrange warmth, Performance/Cost, distance between drivers and ears
Cons: Not good for travel (impedence and bulk), aesthetics(?), annoying to adjust headband

Categorical Breakdown
Bass Presence: MDR-XB700
Bass Impact: DT 770
Bass Quality: DT 770
Best Soundstage: D2000
Best for Electronic/House/Dance/Hip-Hop: DT 770
Best for Jazz: DT770
Best for Classical: DT770
Best Aesthetics: D2000. I personally like the DT 770s because they look retro and aviator-like.
Best for Travel: D2000 – Low impedence (better out of mp3 player), more durable, low-profile
Best Sound Isolation: DT770
Best Highs: D2000
Best Mids: DT770
Best Build-Quality: D2000
Best Stock Cable: D2000
Most Comfortable: D200

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 39
Thanks for the great review! Personally, I have little interest in the Sony MDR XB700 or the Beyer DT770 Pro 80, but your review of the Denon D2000 was very much appreciated. Those phones are so frequently referred to on this forum only as "bassy, warm" cans, that their other qualities are often forgotten about. While that moniker may be apt when one considers the other phones in the D2000's class, there's clearly more to them than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, what are you using as stands for your headphones? Are those banana holders?

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 39
I owned thoses 3 headphones, and I totally agree with your review.
I still have the Beyer and Denon.
But the sony... It's a joke
darthsmile.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 39
One of the things that always intrigued me about the d2000 is what do they cost so much when there are cans that are as good or better that are significantly less expensive. I know there are many who love them but I've heard a few cans that don't cost nearly as much as these that I like better. It would be one thing if I was the only one but there are many. Nice review. I agree with most of the point you made. I never heard the sonys, have heard the other two.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 39
Hmm I'm not sure either moodyrn. I had a Shure SRH840 and it was quite balanced especially compared to the Denon. I think people just like bass and these deliver without destroying the music. Now a whole bunch of people would disagree and say the low end and recessed mid range is utter torture but I guess it depends on your music and sound preferences.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a few cans that don't cost nearly as much as these that I like better.

I'm looking to move on from the D2000 - what would you recommend?

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I'm not sure either moodyrn. I had a Shure SRH840 and it was quite balanced especially compared to the Denon. I think people just like bass and these deliver without destroying the music. Now a whole bunch of people would disagree and say the low end and recessed mid range is utter torture but I guess it depends on your music and sound preferences.

paired with the right amp and dac helps make the midrange come alive, but sibilance is definitely there no matter what I've paired it up with yet. It's still nowhere close to being a deal breaker though. I'd hate to see people not give it shot because of it's flaws, I'm not sure any headphone is "perfect".

I will say after reading this, I'd like to give the Beyers a shot.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 39
Highs muffled on XB700? Now I've heard everything.

Then again I have hundreds of hours of burn in on them. The highs are anything but muffled for me. Actually if you have the volume up high they are too sharp. Otherwise the highs are quite nice.

Get more than 20 hours of burn-in and post some impressions.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 39
Thanks for the review! I've been fighting over which headphone to buy, the d2000 or the dt770 pro 80, but you've helped me on deciding to try the dt 770. I have a question for you, everettjsj2, I'm planning on buying the dt 770 pro 80 ohms but In your opinion, is it worth buying them to use without an amp? How do they sound ampless? thanks in advance!

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review! I've been fighting over which headphone to buy, the d2000 or the dt770 pro 80, but you've helped me on deciding to try the dt 770. I have a question for you, everettjsj2, I'm planning on buying the dt 770 pro 80 ohms but In your opinion, is it worth buying them to use without an amp? How do they sound ampless? thanks in advance!

ALWAYS buy an amp, but if anything, you can do that down the road.

That way you'll appreciate the difference.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to move on from the D2000 - what would you recommend?

I was thinking about getting the d2000s when they were on sale for 200ish on amazon. I listen to a friends pair and was not impressed. He thought they sounded great. So then I let him try my srh840s and he preferred them. He was really blown away when I told him they only cost me 139.00 shipped. So now he's a proud new owner of the shure srh840s. I would highly recommend them. They remind me of a closed version of the hd580/600s. But this is just my opinion though. I used to have a pair of dt770/80. I thought they sounded ok but was not really crazy about them. But from memory, I liked the sound of those better than the d2000s. They srh840s are just so well balanced and virtually sibilance free. When they first came out people was comparing them to headphones that cost 300-400.00, but I held out because I didn't want to fall victim to the fotm bug. Now I hate I waited so long. But it is a matter of preference. Not everybody who's tried them loved them. But most have.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 39
Wow a review which considers all of the options I had in mind, and a good one too!!! I love this place *sniff*

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 39
I always assumed the Denon D2000's can't be properly driven to their potential from an OTL amp?

If they really do sound as good as you say, then i should definitely consider getting these in the future since i have the same amp as you but with better tubes
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back