Review: Denon AH-D7000 vs. Ultrasone PRO-900
Feb 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many will argue that the PRO 900 need a mod! I'm in the "kinda necessary" boat. I think they sound very unique stock, but not overly fantastic all the way through. Any modding really help with some of the extremes this headphone displays. I found the highs far too piercing (easily modded) as well as the prominent bass (also, fairly moddable). Great headphones none the less, but I think the PRO 900 need more modding than the 780, just my insight though.

EDIT: I also found very little sounding similarities in the PRO 900 and HFI-780, other than the pronounced highs and mids. Beyond that, I would have thought it was a completely different brand. I can definitely understand if someone would love the PRO 900 and hate the HFI-780, or vice versa. The PRO 550 are much more in line with the 780's sound than the PRO 900's.

Thank you for that info! What are the mods called? I assume they can be found in this forum?

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im having trouble finding them as well.

You can find the mod of the pro900 here.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 48
Just got around to reading up on the newer posts in this thread. Hawat, thanks for the help there
wink.gif
yep, Kees is the man! Kees Mod is what you would be looking for, and the link above is what you are after. Feel free to give and take of his mod, as you may like a sound that is more "modded" than Kees's or you may simply want to go half way. Good luck, have fun and enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find the mod of the pro900 here.

Many thanks! I may try this out on my 750's before I get my 900.

A lot of these mods seem so simple.. and are really cheap. It blows my mind why companies would not do this themselves...

A better product = a bigger pricetag and if a few 20 cent felt will bring it there then I don't know where they went to marketing school :p.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #36 of 48
They don´t want end consumers to fiddle with them to much I suppose. The Edition series of headphones get much more work done on dampening but that is a bit more then 15$ and is made in Germany not Taiwan.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you just get D2000's and do the markL mod and get 90-95% of the D7000 in terms of SQ for 1/3 the price?

That's what I have been thinking of doing recently.

You could also buy a tuner car and tweak it to 300 kmph. Won't make it a Ferrari though. Crazy analogy, but kinda similar...
The D7000 is a beautiful piece of work, very refined even to look at. And remember, a modded D7000 will be even better...

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny! That rules them in for me... We all have varied taste in sound and music, don't we?

Indeed!, but i want something that the "bass" is also there. Ive listened to D2000, D5000. but prefer AH-D1001 (the vocals are simply awesome warm and focused, almost to the level of Pro 900 - cant tell the difference sometimes, very much treble focused, but yeah overall lacks detail -sometimes-, and bass impact, but it does goes fairly deep and tight :p).

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #39 of 48
The $600 D7000 you guys get from J&R is open box or NIB?

I called them today and they are offering me an open box for $600 shipped.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The $600 D7000 you guys get from J&R is open box or NIB?

I called them today and they are offering me an open box for $600 shipped.

Who cares, this is a great deal for the best closed cans I've ever heard. As long as they are in perfect shape and the warranty still holds, the price is pretty good IMO.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #41 of 48
oohm, must not buy, must not buy.....

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares, this is a great deal for the best closed cans I've ever heard. As long as they are in perfect shape and the warranty still holds, the price is pretty good IMO.
biggrin.gif

I don't care either but if people are getting NIB for $600 I hope I can get open box for even lower. The price is so tempting tho. I almost pulled the trigger right away but I camled down lol. D5000 left a very big hole in my heart which makes me wonder how the D7000 is.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care either but if people are getting NIB for $600 I hope I can get open box for even lower. The price is so tempting tho. I almost pulled the trigger right away but I camled down lol. D5000 left a very big hole in my heart which makes me wonder how the D7000 is.

Check your pm box. At the time of my purchase I asked the salesman if they're refurbished but he assured me they're not. The package arrived in perfect condition and the cans have been workin' flawlessly so even if they were, I wouldn't have the slightest clue...besides the invoice states nothing of it being an open box and if they really sent me an open box the invoice should state that but since it doesn't the salesman probably wasn't lyin' through his teeth. If you wanna try again via the salesman I talked to, send me a pm, as I have I will divulge his name and ext once again.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #44 of 48
Well off ebay there is a person selling the PRO 900 for $390 I think and people have been snagging them up at $320 (Best Offer option
biggrin.gif
). There is another decision you have to make
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #45 of 48
Okay something is wrong, people say the get wow factor when they buy certain gold headphones. But my experience was different, i didn't experience wow but rather i cried with joy, i mean the music goes so deep and you feel the bass, and the highs are equally good if not better, not harsh at all just detailed and highly transparent. they also pick up details and are so damn fast. I am just speechless every time I listen to Shakira's Album in Flac i shed some tears because when i close my eyes I can feel her their in front of me performing - like a romantic relationship. Its hard to explain in words but whenever I close my eyes I go to this magical place out of the world - it is truly an amazing experience.

But I want to experience D7000 now, curse you head-fi!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back