REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)
Sep 3, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #511 of 562
The DT990 has the slightly more aggressive treble, but just slightly. The D5000's treble is a little smoother and more balanced (although I think the DT990's treble is very good).

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #512 of 562
I posted this elsewhere, but I think it's interesting, and shows how good the D5000 is in the bass:

I decided to get out the SPL meter and the Stereophile test CD, amd make some measurements. I measured the bass response of the D5000, the Dx1000, and the V3 Darth Beyers. Below are the results, in dB SPL, referenced to the SPL level at 250Hz, the beginning of the midrange:

Frequency D5000 DX1000 Darth Beyer

200 Hz......+0dB.......+2dB........+2db
160 Hz......+1dB.......+3dB........ +2db
125 Hz......+2dB.......+5dB........ +3db
100 Hz......+3dB.......+6dB........ +3db
80 Hz........+4dB.......+6dB........ +4db
63 Hz.......+3dB.......+7dB........ +4db
50 Hz........+2dB.......+6dB........ +0db
40Hz........+2dB.......+4dB........ +0db
31.5 Hz.....+3dB.......+2dB........ +0db
25 Hz.......+3dB.......+2dB........ +0db
20 Hz.......+1dB.......-1dB........ -2db

So, what does this mean? Well, all 3 headphones have very robust bass capability. And actually, the Denon has the smoothest bass response AND the deepest bass. The DX1000 has the most bass relative to it's midrange levels. And the Darth Beyer, which has less bass than either of the other two, probably just SEEMS to have more bass relative to it's levels higher up in frequency.

So if you want the smoothest, deepest bass response, it's the Denon D5000 you want.

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #513 of 562
UPDATE:

With over 30 hours burn-in now, the D5000 have had a chance to mellow out really nicely. They are so comfortable. It seems they have a very slight (like a -1db) signal recession of the upper mid bass, and the lower midrange. Actually, if you were to take a curve starting at 200Hz all the way to 1.5kHz, it could use a jump of +1.5db right in the middle of the curve. This would bring the midrange forward slightly more, but it would also reduce the soundstage. So it's a trade off, and I would keep the headphones exactly where they are now.

Just waiting for my Go-Vibe V7 Max Extra to arrive, using the AD8397 opamps. That will give me a pretty good estimate between all my go-vibes of which major player amp I want to get, and it looks to be the Corda Opera with DAC. My source needs major improvement, too.

A worthy headphone for anyone to buy who has an extra $500 to spend (lists at $700).

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #514 of 562
Thanks to a lot of useful information here, my wallet has become much more portable
biggrin.gif

I have bought one from audiocubes, got them on last Monday. First impressions were great, black & bassy with sparkling treble. Though they don't fare too well with male vocals, which sound a bit nosy, possibly a little bit recessed in lower mid. I hope they improve with burn-in.

Anyways the D5000 is a big improvement from HD595, and I love woodies too
orphsmile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #515 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though they don't fare too well with male vocals, which sound a bit nosy, possibly a little bit recessed in lower mid. I hope they improve with burn-in.

x2. I've had my D5000s for several months now and I find the midrange, especially for first-tenor-range male singers (e.g., Jim Morrison), to be recessed. The bass is incomparably awesome, though. They nailed it.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #516 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectaculartimes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I've had my D5000s for several months now and I find the midrange, especially for first-tenor-range male singers (e.g., Jim Morrison), to be recessed. The bass is incomparably awesome, though. They nailed it.

I don't find the mids recessed in any freq. range on my Denons.
Actually, they excel there.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #517 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. I cannot see how they can be described as recessed.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #519 of 562
Actually I trust my ears more than any graphs. Maybe it takes time for the mids to settle in; mine have just burnt for about 80 hours. I can definitely say my old HD595 sound better on male vocals, such as Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc.

At this 80-hours mark, the bass sounds more refined. At first they tend to be muddy and overwhelming on some tracks, or maybe it's my ears that start to adapt to the Denon's signature.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #520 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to a lot of useful information here, my wallet has become much more portable
biggrin.gif

I have bought one from audiocubes, got them on last Monday. First impressions were great, black & bassy with sparkling treble. Though they don't fare too well with male vocals, which sound a bit nosy, possibly a little bit recessed in lower mid. I hope they improve with burn-in.

Anyways the D5000 is a big improvement from HD595, and I love woodies too
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectaculartimes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nor it is visible on Denon's frequency graph
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...6&postcount=33

Someone might think the mid is recess if they compare them to Grado onstage presentation. If I want anymore forwarding in the mid, then I guess that I might loose the soundstage. In that case, I'd rather have Grado cans...
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #521 of 562
That makes two low-impendance headphones that need good amping: D5000 and GS1000. How do the two compare? And is D5000 or GS1000 the best complimentary can for someone who already possesses SR325i or RS1?

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #522 of 562
I didn't own GS1000's and D5000's at the same time, and I have never owned RS1's or 325i's, although I have heard both numerous times. I don't think it makes sense for an RS1 owner to buy GS1K's. I'd get the Denon, if for now other reason that at least that would give you a veru comfortable, closed headphone. The Denon isn't all that far from the Grado sound, but it does have some differences at least.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #524 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a blast from the past!

Skylab, have you considered "Markl'ing" the D5000?

Not really. I like the D5000's the way they are. I think that part of why I differ with a number of head-fiers on the quantity of bass that the D5000's have is that I am a relatively low-level listener. I do not blast headphones. I have heard from other folks that Markl likes to listen at louder levels. The D5000's might well sound better with the bass padded down some if people are playing higher SPLs than I do. But for me, the D5000's bass is fine as-is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back