Review: Denon AH-C710
Dec 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ricer09816

New Head-Fier
Ok, so just a starting note this is my first review and if you have futher questions or comments feel free to leave them. 

Current Price: $130 from headphone.com (MSRP: $149.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16 Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 5-25k Hz | Cable: 2.3’ I-plug + 2.6’ L-plug extension
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock Foam Tips
Wear Style: Straight Down

Build Quality (3.89 out of 5)
   First off I will say that the earbuds themselves feel pretty sturdy.  They're basically made of granite and won't break unless you do something very stupid.  The Cord however is like a lot of other in-ear monitors a little sketchy.  It is a little thin and too lanky with the extension attached but without the extension it's quite oddly short.  It is a little prone to tangle but if you take care of your headphones and don't just ball them up and toss them around I dont foresee any problems.  The carrying case that is provided from Denon is quite impressive to look at but I think a little excessive and cumbersome to use when using it for traveling.  Even so the real leather case is a nice extra that comes with these headphones but could use a little refining or you could just make your own that would work better.

Isolation (3.9 out of 5)
   The Isolation with these I found to be be good.  The only reason I don't say great is because I haven't tested them in a subway or anything like that. However I can say when walking from the parking deck to my class on campus a good .25mi I couldn't hear other cars/motorcycles speeding down the main road beside me as well as a man with a leaf blower and a lawnmower and 4 wheeler.

Comfort (3.85 out of 5)
   These headphones are definitely the most comfortable in-ear monitors I have ever owned.  Though I have only owned 3 other pairs(UE In-ear s.fi 3's, and sony ex40's) I think they are still generally comfortable enough for me to say they would be the same for anyone as long as they don't have abnormally small ears and use the foam tips or something similar.

Sound (4 out of 5)
   These things thump.  Which is one of the main reasons I bought them.  I was going to buy the Radius DDM's but decided since I use them daily my ears would thank me for a more comfortable in-ear monitor.  But let me tell you that sacrifice wasn't a sacrifice after having burned these bad boys in.  When I first got them they were a little harsh and sound nothing like they do now.  But now in order to get the best out of these I am having to go back and re-encode my music library to a higher bitrate.  These Denons can reach very low down in the frequency range with strength and ease.  They can move some serious air if you turn up the volume and I imagine with an amp of some sort they would be even better.  "The Denons do have a slight mid-bass emphasis but no Kilimanjaro-sized hump as with the Senn IE8. The low end carries some warmth up into the midrange and can be too heavy at times but remains well-layered, aided by the large soundstage and relatively transparent midrange."(quoted b/c I agree 100%)  The highs can be a bit harsh but not painful.  They just sometimes sound a tad too bright/sparklely for my taste something like a british amp for a quitar ( that may or maynot make sense to readers)  If this sounds negative it's not meant to be. The brightness does settle out over time and I like that they can reach into the highs as well as lows.  These headphones have warmth at the low end and energy throughout.  They are well rounded and have good soundstage and loads of character and are fun as well as pleasurable to listen too.

Overall Thoughts (4.1 out of 5)
  If your looking for headphones in the $100-$150 range, your a bass head or someone who likes having very full sound and want a nice entry level in-ear monitor, I highly recomend these.  They are a great combination of discreet style and can handle anything from underground hip-hip to classical to alternative rock.  And aren't built to have the cable disintegrate in a week and are actually fun and enjoyable for you to listen to and help you rediscover your music library, buy these or atleast give them a try and see what I'm on about.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Nice review :)
Although with the comfort + isolation I would rate it higher - As long as you have the Comply's on.
Without them - then agreed.
But seeing as it can be changed - just by tips - I would give them a higher rating.

Entry level?
Really?

I've heard quite a few earphones now, and I really think they compete or are higher level - not W4 standard - but look at the price difference - in relation to extra quality.

Regards,
Dubbed

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 9
nice review thanks ,i have been tempted to try the denon 710 but have resisted the temptation so far. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 9

Right well I have little to no experience with the e7, however use the e5 - on a daily basis.

I once had the e7 for demoing : provided by Mark here, on head-fi :p and i realised it sounded almost identical to the e5.

Thus, what I'm trying to get at, is if I can hear a hiss + get good bass, then you will probably get the same thing with the e7.

SAYING THAT:
I have a Samsung galaxy s, and you have an ipod classic - 2 different sources.
SO it really all depends.
Personally I would like to ask:
Are you buying a set of 710's or and e7?

If its an e7 - have you considered the much cheaper e5?

Bass wise - adding is never a bad thing - and they (the e5 and e7, both have either switches or levels of bass quantity. So they can be toned down if so desired!
Quote:

[size=medium]
Hello a quick question.
would pairing c710 with e7 result in too much bass and hiss ? run from an ipod classic 09

Thank you
[/size]

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply.

I already own a e7. I bought it just because of the volume boost, EU classics have caped volume.  Using a pair old senheisers (dont know which model tho)

So im on a hunt for a new pair of headphones that i can get in EU/UK for a good price.  I found that re0 but those are sold out already, read that they pair great with amps.

Bye

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 9

I've heard quite a few things about the re0's  - no experience with them though!

In terms of volume, yes the e7 is good, but the e5, would have probably been satisfactory for you too for the 5th of the price! + it was smaller.

Meh in terms of earphones, the 710's are nice! Especially for their price.
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I already own a e7. I bought it just because of the volume boost, EU classics have caped volume.  Using a pair old senheisers (dont know which model tho)

So im on a hunt for a new pair of headphones that i can get in EU/UK for a good price.  I found that re0 but those are sold out already, read that they pair great with amps.

Bye

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I know that e5 would be enough, but at that time had some cash and bought that sqareblackfancyblueshinyscreenthing on impulse.

Imagining you are from UK( goolged Guildford 
bigsmile_face.gif
) do you know any online sites that stock the re0s in UK/EU ?

Sorry to sh** your thread like this.

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 9

Yeah I'm from the UK :p!

And lol at the impulse buy!
No idea about the reo's mate.

I have the denon 751's and the 710's - 710 = £90
751's around £60 

Both sound great to my ears!
I also will most probably be selling the 751's for £40-45 :p
Quote:
I know that e5 would be enough, but at that time had some cash and bought that sqareblackfancyblueshinyscreenthing on impulse.

Imagining you are from UK( goolged Guildford 
bigsmile_face.gif
) do you know any online sites that stock the re0s in UK/EU ?

Sorry to sh** your thread like this.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back