REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp
Apr 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #181 of 654
Well I have always used the same tube in all 3 positions, but I understand what Steve is saying.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #182 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have always used the same tube in all 3 positions, but I understand what Steve is saying.

Skylab do you know if this can be made with two inputs and a sub mono output. I am thinking of getting one to run with my Outlaw 2150 driving my Maggie MMG andd sub. I use two players as a source one redbook cd player and a SACD player.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #183 of 654
No clue. But ask Steve - he's pretty responsive.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #185 of 654
My CSP-2 should arrive on Thursday. I'll be sure to post my impressions after lots of listening. I've never hit F5 on the UPS tracking page this many times before
smily_headphones1.gif

Frank I:
The amp has 2 stereo inputs, 1 stereo output and a mono out for a sub. Is this what you're asking? My plans are to feed one input with my record player and the other with my DAC hooked up to my various digital sources. I don't currently have a sub but that mono-out won't be lonely for long
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #186 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by datura647 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CSP-2 should arrive on Thursday. I'll be sure to post my impressions after lots of listening. I've never hit F5 on the UPS tracking page this many times before
smily_headphones1.gif

Frank I:
The amp has 2 stereo inputs, 1 stereo output and a mono out for a sub. Is this what you're asking? My plans are to feed one input with my record player and the other with my DAC hooked up to my various digital sources. I don't currently have a sub but that mono-out won't be lonely for long
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly what I am looking for. I want to use it as a preamp for my Outlaw 2150 and be able to hook up a sacd and cd player with a mono sub for my Outlaw sub. This is what I was hoping for.

May 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #189 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Who? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up 3 NOS Mullard CV2492's Gold Pin versions for my CSP2 for 60 bucks! I hope I'll like em! Think I will keep this amp for a little while
smily_headphones1.gif

NICE - that's a great price on those, and they sound great in the CSP-2.

May 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #191 of 654
CSP-2 just arrived after 5-week of waiting.
smile.gif

Out of box with 6N1P and Raytheon 5U4G, it sound very smooth and nice.  I was surprised by its voltage gain.  I can only turn to about 8 o'clock with DT880/600.

Then, I just cannot wait longer and switch to Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8.  The clarity and sound decay has been improved and still remind quite nice texture.  I can see CSP-2 has very good potential as it burnt in.  Comparing to Phoenix, the soundstage is closer and decay is a little bit less.  The width of the soundstage is narrow.  This may mainly due to the SE vs Balanced connection.  Also, CSP-2 can only use the RCA connection with REF-1, which has much less SNR comparing to ASCC connection.  So even with such unfair sourcing situation,  CSP-2 still shines well.  Very promising.

The only thing bothers me is that the voltage gain seems to be very high.  I can only use about 5~10% (7~8 o'clock) position of the pot.  Can any one verify that?  I thought those are not the optimal position for a volume pot.

May 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #192 of 654
My normal listening with DX1000 is at the 9:00 position.  That produces average levels of 80dBA (again, with my source, and the DX1000).  If your source has a high output level, I can see how that might be an issue.  I have found the pot to be pretty linear, though.  The only problem with the lower end of a pot is that some pots don't have good channel balance in the lower range.  I have not seen that with the CSP-2.

May 6, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #193 of 654
Congrats on getting your CSP2, dukja. Depending on the recording, my Peter Daniel dac's output generally has me setting volume somewhere between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock with AKG K 701 headphones.

May 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #194 of 654
@fipple8

I actually has Peter's NOS DAC in the past and I knew its output is at normal (2V?) range.  My recent DAC such as DLIII and Ref-1 both have 2.5V output  That may be part of the reason.  I also send out a mail to Steve to see if we can get the gain tune down if I ever send CSP-2 back for step attenuator in the future.  Will post back his reply!

And I guess this gain issue may not be address with different tubes?

May 6, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #195 of 654
Amazing what .5V will do, huh?
beyersmile.png
 Steve is definitely the guy to ask here, especially about lower gain tubes to sub for the 6DJ8 family the amp is designed for. A few years ago, I needed a little more gain from a fi Yph phono pre and Don Garber sent me a pair of 6JK8 tubes. It worked, but I didn't like the sound much. A change in source, in this case a higher output cartridge, was a much better solution for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back