Review ddHiFi TC35B
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

notaris

Head-Fier
Review ddHiFi TC35B
Top quality, great sound!

Introduction

Guangzhou DD Electronics Technology Co., Ltd., aka ddHiFi, is a young company, established in 2017, specializing in the design and making of audiophile products, in particular, DACs, cables, earphones and accessories. The founder of the company had previously working experience in both OPPO and FiiO.

ddHiFi is dedicated to make user-friendly products, of high quality and great sound, by paying attention to the materials used and to all production details, while at the same time controlling carefully the cost, such that the resulting products are truly affortable. One such product is a tiny DAC, TC35B, which is up for review. Its MSRP is just $37.99, so it would be very interesting to see how much a DAC of such a moderate price can achieve.

Description

As already mentioned TC35B is a tiny little DAC, probably the tiniest you can find overall; its dimensions are 18.8 mm x 11.2 mm x 10.2 mm, and I really don’t think that you can find a smaller one. It is made of stainless steel 316, which is the typical stainless steel grade used in the watchmaking industry. Now, if you are like me a mechanical wristwatches lover, then you know the importance of good quality stainless steel for a wristwatch case, particularly one with high anticorrosion properties. So, it is easy to understand that 316 stainless steel is of top quality, and this is useful for protecting the DAC, while at the same time adding to its looks.

TC35B.jpeg

The chip used for TC35B is a USB Codec, the Realtek ALC5686. This is a Codec chip used in many computer motherboards, so one might wonder whether TC35B is any better than what his computer has to offer. The answer is very simple: A critical factor in a DAC’s performance is not just the chip used, but also how the whole design is implemented. To put it in simple words, a top chip alone does not guarantee that the DAC would have a great performance, while a humble chip, with the proper implementation, can do miracles. Now, to start with, ALC5686 is not a bad chip, and because of that it is used in many computer motherboards; the mediocre sound that you usually get from the earphones output of a computer has mostly to do with the fact that computer companies do not pay much attention in making a good implementation. ddHiFi paid the effort, and the result is shown in the specs: DNR >110 dB, SNR >120 dB, even THD+N <-92 db, which are all very respectable. The output power is not very high, 30 mW @32 Ω; however, this is a bit tricky! What I heard through my auditions was certainly more than 30 mW @32 Ω. Whatever the case is, I have to say that the output is more than sufficient to drive headphones up to 200 Ω.

The TC35B is able to deliver PCM 32 bit / 384 kHz, and it is compatible with MacOS and Windows (for XP/7/8 a driver is available). The output is a stereo 3.5 mm jack, headphone or line output.

And of course, the cherry on the tart is that, as already mentioned, TC35B costs a mere $37.99; honestly, I cannot think of a brand name DAC with a lower price tag. Furthermore, it comes in a very stylish wooden box, which adds to the top quality of the theme.

The sound

When I started my auditions, I really did not know what to expect, but TC35B was a very pleasant surprise.

Its sound is very well balanced, to the point that some people might find the low frequencies inadequate; this is not true, and it is due to the fact that TC35B is tuned to be almost perfectly balanced, as the idea is to improve the sound and not to color it.

So, the low frequencies are sufficient and well controlled, while at the same time the upper end of the spectrum is quite extended, so the presentation is overall quite revealing.

The mid frequencies are not forward, but not recessed either; in particular, female vocals have a very nice presentation, right in the center of the stage.

However, what really impressed me is that TC35B opens your sound, so its soundstage and image are certainly above average.

Is TC35B going to improve the sound of your computer, laptop or smartphone? By all means! I compared it to what I get through my iMac, and there was simply no comparison. The sound through TC35B was balanced, musical and sweet, while the sound through the earphones output of the iMac was almost annoying; and this in spite of the fact that iMacs and iPhones use, at least in some cases, proprietary Cirrus Logic DAC chips.

TC35B-computer.jpeg

In conclusion

TC35B really impressed me with its top quality, diminutive size and extremely articulate sound; and all this for a mere $37.99.

If you want to improve the sound of your computer, laptop or smartphone with just one move, don’t think for a second time: You go ahead and buy TC35B, and you won’t regret it.

Well done by ddHiFi and most recommended.

Many thanks to Lily of ddHiFi for providing a sample for TC35B.

https://www.ddhifi.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back