REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,471 of 1,486
Having been using the pc and external HDD for several years I have been moving towards a good server for a while. I considered several and knew that astrostar59 was using the 432EVO. I trust his judgement on sound quality and seeing as their top range model was used as the front end of the Aries Cerat system at Munich Hi-end I knew it would be good. Apart from the sound quality it has several features which I value. It rips and stores all my CDs and has the interesting 432 tuning option which permits adjusting the pitch of replay. It has Roon core should I get seduced into it.

The sound from the new 432EVO has exceeded my expectations. The musical results from FLAC files or Qobuz are quite a step up, allowing the DAC, amp and speakers to show what they are capable of. I should mention that it uses a wired internet connection. And two beefy sbooster external PSUs, which are below

My entire audio system and CD collection is now on one small rack, and I can stand my build of the Blue Hawaii on another shelf on top;

P1080258.JPGP1080259.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,472 of 1,486
Having been using the pc and external HDD for several years I have been moving towards a good server for a while. I considered several and knew that astrostar59 was using the 432EVO. I trust his judgement on sound quality and seeing as their top range model was used as the front end of the Aries Cerat system at Munich Hi-end I knew it would be good. Apart from the sound quality it has several features which I value. It rips and stores all my CDs and has the interesting 432 tuning option which permits adjusting the pitch of replay. It has Roon core should I get seduced into it.

The sound from the new 432EVO has exceeded my expectations. The musical results from FLAC files or Qobuz are quite a step up, allowing the DAC amp and speakers to show what they are capable of. I should mention that it uses a wired internet connection. And two sbooster external PSUs, which are below

My entire audio system and CD collection is now on one small rack, and I can stand my build of the Blue Hawaii on another shelf on top;

P1080258.JPGP1080259.JPG
Good to see you around, Geoff.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,473 of 1,486

The sound from the new 432EVO has exceeded my expectations. The musical results from FLAC files or Qobuz are quite a step up, allowing the DAC amp and speakers to show what they are capable of. I should mention that it uses a wired internet connection. And two beefy sbooster external PSUs, which are below

P1080258.JPGP1080259.JPG
Nice rack what brand?

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,476 of 1,486
Looks real nice in all black Geoff! The 432 Servers are super machines, really high performance well above their price points. We tested pretty much all the main contenders, and found the 432 Master above models at 20K and above.

The AEON is also super high performance and is 5K euros list.
Until recently they were not well known outside of the Netherlands, where they are based and have a healthy fan club.

432hz pic.jpg
432_evo_master_slide-show.jpg
Aries-Cerat-demo-room.jpg
Aries-Cerat-Munich.jpg

432 Hz tuning
432 Hz is one of the ways to tune musical instruments, and is also known as the Tuning Note “A” and A = 432. Music tuned to 432 Hz sounds better than contemporary music which is tuned at A = 440. The famous Stradivarius for example was tuned to 432 Hz according to the Verdi tuning

During historical periods when instrumental music rose in prominence (relative to the voice), there was a continuous tendency for pitch levels to rise, also known as the pitch inflation. A higher pitch such as our current A = 440 standard sounds sharper, louder and more “fresh”, but also more aggressive, which is not a quality audiophiles are looking for.

The 432 EVO offer you the possibility to convert your existing music on the fly into the better sounding 432 Hz, without any resolution loss. Several best of show awards we have won are the ultimate proof, and recent research by Maria Renold and a group of 2000 people showed that 90% preferred 432 Hz.

For purists we still offer bit perfect mode on par with the best CD transports, or upsample only mode for those who want to tune the sound. All these modes are live switchable.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #1,477 of 1,486

The sound from the new 432EVO has exceeded my expectations. The musical results from FLAC files or Qobuz are quite a step up, allowing the DAC, amp and speakers to show what they are capable of. I should mention that it uses a wired internet connection. And two beefy sbooster external PSUs, which are below

P1080258.JPGP1080259.JPG

Good decision. I am myself considering the EVO432 as one chalenger to the CAT mk2 to "upgrade" my Aurender W20 experience to a ROON server.

but... can you tell us a little about the 432 Hz experience ? Did you compared 432 processing to NO processing ? which one you prefer ?

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #1,479 of 1,486
Good decision. I am myself considering the EVO432 as one chalenger to the CAT mk2 to "upgrade" my Aurender W20 experience to a ROON server.

but... can you tell us a little about the 432 Hz experience ? Did you compared 432 processing to NO processing ? which one you prefer ?

It is early days yet and I started with all replay as unchanged in pitch. The object first was just to listen to see what effect the 432EVO had in the system. It was immediately noticeably better.

I have now moved on to investigating the effect of pitch changing. The short answer is that it is to me very interesting to be able to do this. I can say that I do prefer the 432 tuning on some recordings but it doesn’t have to be an overall setting for all music. I am looking forward to doing listening trials. 432EVO have introduced another factor into the listening experience. As I see it this is not so much to do with hi fidelity reproduction but making music sound more to your liking. Slightly changing the pitch of music is a more controversial adjustment as you are messing with the original musicians’ intentions. The musicians have recorded the music in the speed and tuning that they want and it seems impertinent to change the pitch and timing of what they have done. I include all musicians in this but am first comparing classical.

Having said this the reason the company have developed it is that concert tuning is not a worldwide constant (and seemingly getting higher). Mainland European orchestras are tuning at A=442-444, British and American mostly 440, and Baroque players at around 430. You could argue that you have the right to tweak this to sound better to your ears. As a lot of our hobby is about getting into the music and engaging with it I find that it helps.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,481 of 1,486
Hello,

Let me share my experience with the Innuos Zenith SE:

Setup: Cable modem connected to the fiber optic (fed by a dedicated external linear power supply) -> Ethernet cable from the modem -> Innuos Zenith SE as Roon Core -> Totaldac Ethernet Cable out from the Zenith SE -> Totaldac Server (as streamer) -> Totaldac Twelve SE DAC.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/795

What I have tried, in my system (results may vary for other systems, of course):

a) Zenith SE USB vs Ethernet output into Totaldac Server. Tried both with the Totaldac Gigafilter USB cable and the Kubala Realization USB Cable. The sound using the Ethernet output with a Totaldac Ethernet Cable was much better, so this the one I have been using.

b) Zenith SE USB into Totaldac Server or Zenith directly as a player into Totaldac Twelve SE. Considerably better sound using the Totaldac Server.

Based on this, in my experience, Ethernet is the best output from the Zenith SE.

This Tuesday, I brought my Zenith SE to feed the ethernet input of a DCS Vivaldi upsampler in the system of a friend (very high end system). The Zenith SE was so much better than the equipment he was using! The three of us, audiophiles, out there listening had no need for A-B-A, it was dramatic improvement.

I wonder what would be the best audiophile cable modem available at this time, to feed my Zenith SE.

Cheers,

VPN
How do you think the Zennith III and Auralic G2.1 would compare

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,483 of 1,486
I’ve just read the last 99 pages with interest . Lots of learnings ! Do any of you have experience with Fidata HFAS1 -X20U music server ?I was using it seamlessly with Cambridge Audio edge set up - DAC/ streamer preamp and power amps .. have now transitioned to McIntosh C53 preamp/DAC and Mc monoblocks but the Fidata gets restricted to outputting 24/192 via USB Input on the Mc .
Ive tried different USB cables / talked to both manufacturers.. no joy - any ideas ?
my current solution is I’ve put the Cambridge Edge Streamer back in the chain , connected the Fidata via cat to that then XLR balanced out to the McIntosh losing the benefit of the new pre -amps Digital section .. maybe all that I can do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back