REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Oct 14, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,021 of 1,486
Thanks for sharing your detailed observations and experience. Over in the fantasy department... I'll try to locate someone whose taken delivery of a DX3 and bribe him to bring it over to your place if you get to audition the Zenith!

Zenith SE on its way. Hope to have it next week. DX Gen3 will hopefully arrive in 3-4 weeks.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,023 of 1,486
The Zenith SE is in the house. I was also able to borrow a friend's dCS Network Bridge. The Network Bridge is incorporated into the Vivaldi Upsampler and so I have heard its impact before but this is the first time I have had a chance to directly compare it to my latest server build.

10018652.jpg

I've had the chance to listen to each of these units for the past 3 days. Last night, I had a few friends over and each offered an opinion. There was no unanimous consensus between these two.

My overall system has gone through changes (and will continue to evolve up until Rob Watts' digital amps become available). This is my present system.

Server/Streamer > Chord Blu Mk2 > Habst Digital BNC cables > Chord DAVE > HFC Pro Series RCA interconnects > Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblock amplifiers > HFC Pro Series speaker cables > Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A electrostatic speakers. Power delivery is via two 20amp dedicated lines, dual Denali 2000T line conditioners, HFC MC-6 Hemisphere distribution block and a full loom of HFC power chords. Each server/streamer was powered by an HFC CT-1 Ultimate power chord. The Zenith SE was connected to Blu Mk2 via USB and the dCS Network Bridge was connected to Blu Mk2 via SPDIF. With Blu Mk2, USB is equivalent to SPDIF with regards to SQ.

I'll get a few things out of the way. Both of these units are excellent and the consensus was unanimous that in my system as stated, either of these units is a large gap better than a Windows 10 laptop on batteries running Roon. It was also a unanimous consensus that my current server build is better than either of these units but in different ways. For those not aware of the details of my current server build, here it is:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...reaming/?page=153&tab=comments#comment-724987

To be fair, what I have now was built and fine tuned for my specific system and to my preferences and so not surprisingly, using gambling nomenclature, it has a "house advantage." For those not wishing to build their own servers, either of these would be considered state of the art and I would have no reservations recommending either of them depending on your priorities.

dCS Network Bridge ($4,250):

This is a fairly small footprint FPGA device that does not have the full functionality of the Zenith SE but in some ways, it is better than the Zenith SE. It is a minimalist design and comes in either silver or anodized black. Construction quality is typical of dCS's high standards and their build standards are second to none. It features an Ethernet network input and it is via this input that this Network Bridge was designed to function at its best. While it also features a bidirectional USB port, at the present time, this is useful only as an input for music playback. With a soon-to-be-released firmware upgrade, this USB port will eventually have the capability to connect to a USB DAC. At the present time, connection to a DAC is only via dual AES/EBU (PCM up to 24/384 or DSD128) or SPDIF (PCM up to 24/192 or DSD64).

Unlike the Zenith SE (or Antipodes DX), the dCS Network bridge is only a renderer rather than a full server. It requires a NAS or local computer connected via Ethernet network and it shares much in common with a Focusrite RedNet. Also unlike the Zenith SE (or Antipodes DX), this device is incapable of ripping CDs. It is a one trick pony but what it does, it does very well.

While dCS has an IOS app that can be used to control the Network Bridge and also play back music directly from Tidal, Spotify or from your NAS via a proprietary interface, it is via Roon where I found it to be most easily utilized. For you to be able to use Roon with the Network Bridge, you will either have to have Roon Core (or Server) installed onto your NAS or onto another PC in your network as the Network Bridge serves only as a RoonReady endpoint.

With regards to SQ, what the Network Bridge incorporates that the Zenith SE fails to even consider (or at least mention in their marketing) is high quality clocking and indeed, this device leverages dCS's expertise in this regard. While the Chord DAVE is presumably immune to source jitter up to 2uS, this clocking makes a very noticeably difference, nonetheless, with regards to detail resolution and layering. Does this amount to a noise issue or a timing issue? I'm not sure but against the Zenith SE, files are resolved better and the difference is easy to hear. There is definitely a succinctness to how sounds start and stop and this detail resolution is comparable to what I am hearing with my server when combined with Mutec's REF10 master clock. Where the Network Bridge falls short is with tonal weight. Compared against both my server and against the Zenith SE, it sounds a bit thin. This could be a power supply issue because in addition to a denser tonal weight, both my server and the Zenith SE have better dynamics. What the Network Bridge has up its sleeve that the Zenith SE doesn't is the ability to connect to dCS' external master clock. Supposedly, this improves SQ significantly. While I don't have a dCS Master Clock to connect to, I have ordered a Mutec MC-3+USB that I will utilize as a word clock generator and combined with my REF10 Master Clock, I will see how much better things get.

Innous Zenith SE (approx $7k):

This is a standard sized component similar to an Aurender N10. As I don't currently have an N10 available for direct comparison, I can't tell you for sure if it is better than an N10, but based on memory, I would say that this is a much more dynamic sounding server. The difference between the Zenith Mk2 and the SE is supposed to be a better PSU and I would have to agree, the PSU used on this unit is very good. Compared against my Paul Hynes SR7, for the first time, I am hearing dynamic contrasts of equal measure and so this is saying a lot. Like the dCS, this unit is very solidly constructed with exquisite attention to fine detail including the incorporation of very good footers. With the dCS Network, I was able to improve it by placing it on Stillpoints. With the Zenith SE, these footers are the equal of the Stillpoints.

Unlike the dCS Network Bridge, this is a full fledged server that functions as both server and renderer in one box. Like the Antipodes dX, it excels via its USB output but unlike any other server I've seen before, it appears to feature a dedicated Ethernet output designed to connect directly to an Ethernet streamer. I have yet to test this feature but I am very intrigued. If it has a similar impact to the LAN bridging trick that I first detailed on CA earlier this year (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-audio-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-613370), then I could see the owner of a Zenith SE purchasing a network streamer such as an sMS-200ultra, ultraRendu or even a dCS Network Bridge for use in a 2nd system.

Like the Antipodes DX, the Zenith SE utilizes a customized Linux OS that is extremely easy to setup and use, even easier than the OS used by Antipodes. It can rip CDs to either WAV or FLAC although I have not yet tested this feature. It also includes Roon Core built in but can be used as a Roon Ready end point device. This is an extremely versatile device.

As far as SQ, the first thing that is readily apparent is dynamics, both macro and micro and I have not heard better. It is tonally rich and very satisfyingly musical, however, compared to my server, there is a subtle but noticeable HF harshness and dryness that is not present in either the dCS Network Bridge or my custom server. Is this a noisy clock issue or a noisy SSD issue? I'm not sure. It's biggest drawback, however, is that it lacks that last bit of detail resolution that the Network Bridge and my custom server provides although you don't know its missing until you do the comparison.

As happens frequently, with my group of friends that came by for a listen yesterday evening, as I have already stated, there was no unanimous consensus and 4 of my friends preferred the Network Bridge while 2 preferred the Zenith SE. If I had to choose one for myself, I would probably choose the Network Bridge although I would not be unhappy at all with the Zenith SE. If I already owned one or the other, I'm not sure there would be a compelling enough reason to switch. If someone is in the market for a small, single-box, reasonably affordable ($4.2k) device that you can set and forget and if streaming from Tidal or Spotify is what you do most, it would be hard to do better than the Network Bridge. If someone is in the market for a single box, no fuss, "all-in-one solution" including the ability to rip CDs and internally host a large music collection, it would be hard to go wrong with the Zenith SE. How it compares against the new Antipodes DX Gen3 is anyone's guess and hopefully, I'll have the chance to make that comparison in the coming weeks. If all goes as planned, Johnny Moondog will be joining me and he will bring along his Audio Alchemy DMP-1 for comparison.

Regarding the 432 Evo Master that @bmichels mentioned, this server was introduced in Munich this year but unless I can directly compare it against something I know, it's hard to know how good it is and coming from Belguim, I'm not sure how I could easily get a hold of one for comparison. Maybe it's a gimmick but what attracted me to this company's products in the past was this 432Hz processing mode that is supposed to sound more like real music. I suppose it may have a similar effect as Phasure's Lush USB cable.

Attachments

• dCSZenithSEfront.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • dCSZenithSEback.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,024 of 1,486
The Zenith SE is in the house. I was also able to borrow a friend's dCS Network Bridge. The Network Bridge is incorporated into the Vivaldi Upsampler and so I have heard its impact before but this is the first time I have had a chance to directly compare it to my latest server build.

10018652.jpg

I've had the chance to listen to each of these units for the past 3 days. Last night, I had a few friends over and each offered an opinion. There was no unanimous consensus between these two.

My overall system has gone through changes (and will continue to evolve up until Rob Watts' digital amps become available). This is my present system.

Server/Streamer > Chord Blu Mk2 > Habst Digital BNC cables > Chord DAVE > HFC Pro Series RCA interconnects > Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblock amplifiers > HFC Pro Series speaker cables > Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A electrostatic speakers. Power delivery is via two 20amp dedicated lines, dual Denali 2000T line conditioners, HFC MC-6 Hemisphere distribution block and a full loom of HFC power chords. Each server/streamer was powered by an HFC CT-1 Ultimate power chord. The Zenith SE was connected to Blu Mk2 via USB and the dCS Network Bridge was connected to Blu Mk2 via SPDIF. With Blu Mk2, USB is equivalent to SPDIF with regards to SQ.

I'll get a few things out of the way. Both of these units are excellent and the consensus was unanimous that in my system as stated, either of these units is a large gap better than a Windows 10 laptop on batteries running Roon. It was also a unanimous consensus that my current server build is better than either of these units but in different ways. For those not aware of the details of my current server build, here it is:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...reaming/?page=153&tab=comments#comment-724987

To be fair, what I have now was built and fine tuned for my specific system and to my preferences and so not surprisingly, using gambling nomenclature, it has a "house advantage." For those not wishing to build their own servers, either of these would be considered state of the art and I would have no reservations recommending either of them depending on your priorities.

This is a fairly small footprint FPGA device that does not have the full functionality of the Zenith SE but in some ways, it is better than the Zenith SE. It is a minimalist design and comes in either silver or anodized black. Construction quality is typical of dCS's high standards and their build standards are second to none. It features an Ethernet network input and it is via this input that this Network Bridge was designed to function at its best. While it also features a bidirectional USB port, at the present time, this is useful only as an input for music playback. With a soon-to-be-released firmware upgrade, this USB port will eventually have the capability to connect to a USB DAC. At the present time, connection to a DAC is only via dual AES/EBU (PCM up to 24/384 or DSD128) or SPDIF (PCM up to 24/192 or DSD64).

Unlike the Zenith SE (or Antipodes DX), the dCS Network bridge is only a renderer rather than a full server. It requires a NAS or local computer connected via Ethernet network and it shares much in common with a Focusrite RedNet. Also unlike the Zenith SE (or Antipodes DX), this device is incapable of ripping CDs. It is a one trick pony but what it does, it does very well.

While dCS has an IOS app that can be used to control the Network Bridge and also play back music directly from Tidal, Spotify or from your NAS via a proprietary interface, it is via Roon where I found it to be most easily utilized. For you to be able to use Roon with the Network Bridge, you will either have to have Roon Core (or Server) installed onto your NAS or onto another PC in your network as the Network Bridge serves only as a RoonReady endpoint.

With regards to SQ, what the Network Bridge incorporates that the Zenith SE fails to even consider (or at least mention in their marketing) is high quality clocking and indeed, this device leverages dCS's expertise in this regard. While the Chord DAVE is presumably immune to source jitter up to 2uS, this clocking makes a very noticeably difference, nonetheless, with regards to detail resolution and layering. Does this amount to a noise issue or a timing issue? I'm not sure but against the Zenith SE, files are resolved better and the difference is easy to hear. There is definitely a succinctness to how sounds start and stop and this detail resolution is comparable to what I am hearing with my server when combined with Mutec's REF10 master clock. Where the Network Bridge falls short is with tonal weight. Compared against both my server and against the Zenith SE, it sounds a bit thin. This could be a power supply issue because in addition to a denser tonal weight, both my server and the Zenith SE have better dynamics. What the Network Bridge has up its sleeve that the Zenith SE doesn't is the ability to connect to dCS' external master clock. Supposedly, this improves SQ significantly. While I don't have a dCS Master Clock to connect to, I have ordered a Mutec MC-3+USB that I will utilize as a word clock generator and combined with my REF10 Master Clock, I will see how much better things get.

This is a standard sized component similar to an Aurender N10. As I don't currently have an N10 available for direct comparison, I can't tell you for sure if it is better than an N10, but based on memory, I would say that this is a much more dynamic sounding server. The difference between the Zenith Mk2 and the SE is supposed to be a better PSU and I would have to agree, the PSU used on this unit is very good. Compared against my Paul Hynes SR7, for the first time, I am hearing dynamic contrasts of equal measure and so this is saying a lot. Like the dCS, this unit is very solidly constructed with exquisite attention to fine detail including the incorporation of very good footers. With the dCS Network, I was able to improve it by placing it on Stillpoints. With the Zenith SE, these footers are the equal of the Stillpoints.

Unlike the dCS Network Bridge, this is a full fledged server that functions as both server and renderer in one box. Like the Antipodes dX, it excels via its USB output but unlike any other server I've seen before, it appears to feature a dedicated Ethernet output designed to connect directly to an Ethernet streamer. I have yet to test this feature but I am very intrigued. If it has a similar impact to the LAN bridging trick that I first detailed on CA earlier this year (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-audio-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-613370), then I could see the owner of a Zenith SE purchasing a network streamer such as an sMS-200ultra, ultraRendu or even a dCS Network Bridge for use in a 2nd system.

Like the Antipodes DX, the Zenith SE utilizes a customized Linux OS that is extremely easy to setup and use, even easier than the OS used by Antipodes. It can rip CDs to either WAV or FLAC although I have not yet tested this feature. It also includes Roon Core built in but can be used as a Roon Ready end point device. This is an extremely versatile device.

As far as SQ, the first thing that is readily apparent is dynamics, both macro and micro and I have not heard better. It is tonally rich and very satisfyingly musical, however, compared to my server, there is a subtle but noticeable HF harshness and dryness that is not present in either the dCS Network Bridge or my custom server. Is this a noisy clock issue or a noisy SSD issue? I'm not sure. It's biggest drawback, however, is that it lacks that last bit of detail resolution that the Network Bridge and my custom server provides although you don't know its missing until you do the comparison.

As happens frequently, with my group of friends that came by for a listen yesterday evening, as I have already stated, there was no unanimous consensus and 4 of my friends preferred the Network Bridge while 2 preferred the Zenith SE. If I had to choose one for myself, I would probably choose the Network Bridge although I would not be unhappy at all with the Zenith SE. If I already owned one or the other, I'm not sure there would be a compelling enough reason to switch. If someone is in the market for a small, single-box, reasonably affordable ($4.2k) device that you can set and forget and if streaming from Tidal or Spotify is what you do most, it would be hard to do better than the Network Bridge. If someone is in the market for a single box, no fuss, "all-in-one solution" including the ability to rip CDs and internally host a large music collection, it would be hard to go wrong with the Zenith SE. How it compares against the new Antipodes DX Gen3 is anyone's guess and hopefully, I'll have the chance to make that comparison in the coming weeks. If all goes as planned, Johnny Moondog will be joining me and he will bring along his Audio Alchemy DMP-1 for comparison.

Regarding the 432 Evo Master that @bmichels mentioned, this server was introduced in Munich this year but unless I can directly compare it against something I know, it's hard to know how good it is and coming from Belguim, I'm not sure how I could easily get a hold of one for comparison. Maybe it's a gimmick but what attracted me to this company's products in the past was this 432Hz processing mode that is supposed to sound more like real music. I suppose it may have a similar effect as Phasure's Lush USB cable.

Very interesting... Rajiv and I are going to try to audition the dCS in my system at some point.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,025 of 1,486

10018652.jpg

Great review as usual. Can you please let us know how it compares against SOtM 200 ultra?

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,026 of 1,486

Hi Roy,

Great report, as usual. It's funny that both you and I, having assembled our sCLK-EX based chains, are now curious to see if there are one-box solutions that can match up, or at least come close. You've gone the server route, while I have stayed with the endpoint based trifecta based approach.

Since my approach is still endpoint based, the 2 devices about which I am very curious are the dCS Network Bridge, and the Bricasti M5. While I have had no luck getting my hands on a loaner M5, I was able to audition a dCS NB from my local dealer.

As you know from my post on the CA thread, I had a chance to compare the dCS NB to my trifecta medley. Like you, I found a lot to like in the NB, but due to limited time, and an unfamiliar system, I reserved judgement until I could try out the NB in my system, and @Limniscate 's system. I will be doing that once the USB output firmware is out.

Obviously, the key question for many is - can the one-box NB achieve the SQ of the fiddly "spaghetti" trifecta chain? We shall see!

One area of uncertainty in my mind with the NB (and the M5 too) is regarding the Ethernet and the USB clocks. With the SOtM clock chain, the big revelation, and indeed the raison d'être for the chain, is that clock quality for system things (USB, Ethernet, and mobo) matters just as profoundly as the clocks for the data (the area dCS has been renowned for decades). I have tried to ascertain exactly what clocks dCS uses for their system things, but have not got a good answer. I am hopeful that the clock used here is of a quality approaching, or indeed surpassing the SOtM sCLK-EX, but we don't know.

Your experiment with the Mutec MC-3+ USB will be interesting, but there again, you will only be able to get the Ref 10 "goodness" in through the word clock input of the NB, and it is unclear whether that will lift the quality of the system clocks.

I'll be reporting my results in Nov, because I will only borrow the NB from my dealer after the USB firmware update is in place.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,027 of 1,486
Hi Roy,

Great report, as usual. It's funny that both you and I, having assembled our sCLK-EX based chains, are now curious to see if there are one-box solutions that can match up, or at least come close. You've gone the server route, while I have stayed with the endpoint based trifecta based approach.

Since my approach is still endpoint based, the 2 devices about which I am very curious are the dCS Network Bridge, and the Bricasti M5. While I have had no luck getting my hands on a loaner M5, I was able to audition a dCS NB from my local dealer.

As you know from my post on the CA thread, I had a chance to compare the dCS NB to my trifecta medley. Like you, I found a lot to like in the NB, but due to limited time, and an unfamiliar system, I reserved judgement until I could try out the NB in my system, and @Limniscate 's system. I will be doing that once the USB output firmware is out.

Obviously, the key question for many is - can the one-box NB achieve the SQ of the fiddly "spaghetti" trifecta chain? We shall see!

One area of uncertainty in my mind with the NB (and the M5 too) is regarding the Ethernet and the USB clocks. With the SOtM clock chain, the big revelation, and indeed the raison d'être for the chain, is that clock quality for system things (USB, Ethernet, and mobo) matters just as profoundly as the clocks for the data (the area dCS has been renowned for decades). I have tried to ascertain exactly what clocks dCS uses for their system things, but have not got a good answer. I am hopeful that the clock used here is of a quality approaching, or indeed surpassing the SOtM sCLK-EX, but we don't know.

Your experiment with the Mutec MC-3+ USB will be interesting, but there again, you will only be able to get the Ref 10 "goodness" in through the word clock input of the NB, and it is unclear whether that will lift the quality of the system clocks.

I'll be reporting my results in Nov, because I will only borrow the NB from my dealer after the USB firmware update is in place.

Looking forward to your comparison in your own system.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #1,028 of 1,486
Good to see romaz, and now austinpop, here again. I've been remotely following the CA exploits with a combination of awe and horror - well some of those deepest rabbit holes are just a little bit scary for normal folk :astonished:. The DCS NB is interesting, but I don't consider it at all a rival to a server, especially if you have local music files. More a rival to Rendu/SOtM end point/renderers. Although the boundary lines are getting smeared these days.

My own rabbit hole is burrowing at a much slower pace (battery powered Roon W10 laptop, direct bridged, with "spaghetti-fi" restricted to just mR v1.4 and IR). And finally have an ETA of about 3 weeks for my Paul Hynes 3-rail SR7. And there it will stay until I choose my dedicated server (oh, yes and Blu2 on long backlogged order).

Anyway, the key point of this post is to say how much I still get surprised by what does and doesn't make a difference in the digital world. Contrary to the protestations of the bits-is-bits brigade, I'm finding that seemingly trivial source changes can make subjectively big differences (and sometimes seemingly big changes make little difference). Case in point:

A few weeks ago I felt I had a good grasp of the pecking order of the signal path variables of my system, with laptop direct USB connection to my DAVE DAC being by far the worst sounding - I described it as "horrible". But just yesterday I heard a great sound from my IR with directly connected stock USB cable with multiple ferrite cores ("Ferrite-fi" has been a recent hot topic on the Blu2/DAVE threads).The thing is, I don't think it was the ferrites that were key (although they may have helped a bit) and, with no other component changes made in the meantime, the prime suspect is.....

A tiny change in Process Lasso to increase the process priority of Roon's RAAT service from "high" to "Real time". And disabling Fidelizer Pro (which originally was complimentary to PL, but now was possibly clashing in current circumstances).

This is still WIP and inconclusive, but whatever the real causes may be, if such small changes can have such an impact on my listening experience, then I have high hopes that my eventual dedicated server choice will be worth the wait. And my highest hope, based on romaz's recent info, is that SOtM do release next year a Super Server that has, in effect, all the trifecta components, plus master reference clock, plus all the knowledge gained over the last year - all rationalised and integrated into a single server box with exactly 3 DC inputs for plugging in an SR7. Now that would be something worth comparing to the Aurender, Innuos, Antipodes etc. Now, SOtM may not quite do it like that in the end, but dreaming is for free...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,029 of 1,486

10018652.jpg

Interesting post Roy. One of the things that initially attracted me to the SE was the Ethernet output which I think is essential for future proofing. The benefits that the SE delivers in terms of the power supply and general/network noise reduction are passed on via the ethernet port in my experience. I had previously replaced an Aries with a mRendu which sounded notably better than the Aries in my system. When I got the SE, I connected both Aries and mRendu to its Ethernet output to compare each one against the SE’s own USB output and, whilst the SE direct USB to DAC was clearly better, the Aries and mRendu now sounded almost indistinguishable from each other. I put this down to the fact that the mRendu sounded better initially because it was better at noise suppression but, with that noise now removed, the difference between them was negligible.

I have a dCS network bridge coming for evaluation and will be running that via the SE Ethernet output. My original intention was to put the mRendu back into my main system to feed the Dave since Blu II introduces too much delay to be used in a multi room arrangement whereas Dave alone works fine. So the mRendu will be used for limited multi room playback whilst the SE will be the main source into BluDave. I thought though that if the network bridge sounds better than the SE USB output, then I could kill two birds with one stone as well as obtaining greater versatility. I don’t expect the network bridge to beat the SE, but it’s worth a try. If it does, then I can sell the LPS-1, mRendu and Aries to help recoup the outlay.

Incidentally, after the success of using the ferrites on the BNC cables into Dave, I tried some on the USB cable from SE into Blu II which brought a further small degree of refinement. I had a (non Chord) dealer visit my house last week to collect items that I had p/ex and he asked to hear my system out of curiosity. He was quite surprised by the sound and commented that it sounded analogue and not at all digital. So chasing these improvements has been worthwhile.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,030 of 1,486
Hi Malcyg.

Your post and Romaz's above are timely for me as I have a Zenith SE arriving in a few days which I'll be using with a Chord TT. The SE will be used to run Roon Core.

I intend to use my microRendu 1.4 (+ LPS-1) between the two with a view to replacing it shortly with the dCS Network Bridge once the USB output is enabled. However your comments above stating the SE direct into the DAC via it's USB was superior to using the microRendu has surprised me, as it's not what I had assumed would be the case. That puts into question if the dCS Network Bridge would be beneficial.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when the NB arrives?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #1,031 of 1,486
Look forward to se thoughts, you might realize that our TT seems to be best fed by USB to ones music server direct. Antipodes in my case but...

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,032 of 1,486
Look forward to se thoughts, you might realize that our TT seems to be best fed by USB to ones music server direct. Antipodes in my case but...

If the SE into the TT direct sounds the best it's going to save me £3,250 and I can also sell the microRendu + LPS-1. That would be a good result!

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,033 of 1,486
Hi Malcyg.

Your post and Romaz's above are timely for me as I have a Zenith SE arriving in a few days which I'll be using with a Chord TT. The SE will be used to run Roon Core.

I intend to use my microRendu 1.4 (+ LPS-1) between the two with a view to replacing it shortly with the dCS Network Bridge once the USB output is enabled. However your comments above stating the SE direct into the DAC via it's USB was superior to using the microRendu has surprised me, as it's not what I had assumed would be the case. That puts into question if the dCS Network Bridge would be beneficial.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when the NB arrives?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have concluded of late that a minimalist approach is best. When I got the Blu II, the CD output was beating everything else for sound quality and was a useful benchmark to set for streaming and file playback. This was interesting because there are no additional boxes involved for CD replay and each additional box introduces new cables, power supplies and internal electronics - each a source of potential noise to downgrade sound quality. A Roon core server fed directly into the DAC removes the network from the loop and, with the work that Zenith has put into not just the power supply but also the internal wiring and soldering and chassis, this seems to have paid off since the SE direct into my BluDave by USB matches and sometimes beats the CD now. I find it hard to see how you can do much better than that.

You should wait until you hear the SE direct to DAC because you may not need anything else in the chain. In fact additional elements may just cause a degradation in sound quality. That is my experience so far - I’ll let you know if the dCS does anything to change that.

Malc

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,034 of 1,486
Hi Paul,

I have concluded of late that a minimalist approach is best. When I got the Blu II, the CD output was beating everything else for sound quality and was a useful benchmark to set for streaming and file playback. This was interesting because there are no additional boxes involved for CD replay and each additional box introduces new cables, power supplies and internal electronics - each a source of potential noise to downgrade sound quality. A Roon core server fed directly into the DAC removes the network from the loop and, with the work that Zenith has put into not just the power supply but also the internal wiring and soldering and chassis, this seems to have paid off since the SE direct into my BluDave by USB matches and sometimes beats the CD now. I find it hard to see how you can do much better than that.

You should wait until you hear the SE direct to DAC because you may not need anything else in the chain. In fact additional elements may just cause a degradation in sound quality. That is my experience so far - I’ll let you know if the dCS does anything to change that.

Malc

Thanks Malc and your comments make complete sense.

I'm very much for the minimalist approach which is why I moved away from Naim and it's plethora of black boxes, cables and permenant temptation to upgrade the PSU's. Other than the microRendu etc, my Chord TT combined with ATC SCM40A speakers is a wonderful and simple system that floors the Naim kit.

I'm looking forward to your findings.

Paul

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #1,035 of 1,486
Thanks Malc and your comments make complete sense.

I'm very much for the minimalist approach which is why I moved away from Naim and it's plethora of black boxes, cables and permenant temptation to upgrade the PSU's. Other than the microRendu etc, my Chord TT combined with ATC SCM40A speakers is a wonderful and simple system that floors the Naim kit.

I'm looking forward to your findings.

Paul

Yep, agreed on that. I started off years back with a Cyrus setup and added PSU’s and power amps but it still never got to where I wanted. Then I p/ex it all for a Chord DSX1000 and an SPM 1200 Mk II. Went from 6 boxes to two and the improvement was huge. I should have learnt my lesson back then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back