REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Sep 20, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #616 of 1,486
As an update, I just pulled the online trigger on a sT mR iFi bundle. Now on to deciding on a power supply.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #619 of 1,486

Thanks for the update, though it does lead to another question: What do you mean by your statement "he has moved onto a laptop?"

From memory, the laptop has more power and flexibility than the Transporter to add third party DSP apps etc, but if you use the advanced search function on this thread, you can get any of his original posts - I think that last change was quite recent.  

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #621 of 1,486
30 pages into the thread, now.

Looking for feedback from members regarding the HD-Plex with the microRendu/sonicTransporter or with other components in your systems?

I have ordered the HD-Plex. Realize Romaz preferred the iFi over the HD-Plex. Getting the iFi as part of the bundle so I will get to hear both for myself. Holding off on a higher end linear power supply until the release and feedback on the Uptone Ultracap as well as seeing how the front end of my system takes shape.

I like the versatility of the HD-Plex and figure it can power some of the other equipment in the my chain. 

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #622 of 1,486
Need some help....

Just set up the sonicTransporter (basic) and microRendu into my system with Roon / Tidal running.

A couple of questions:

Can the microRendu be used without the sonicTransporter? I thought it could not. But if I select my PC as the server (without the sonicTransporter powered up) I can stream Tidal via Roon without any issues via the microRendu. In fact, given the much higher processing power of the PC, Roon loaded up and is not laggy (as compared to the base sonicTransporter).

And if the answer is yes, how is sound quality and/or are there differences in sound quality for  PC - mR only (that is, no sT) vs sT - mR?

And finally, what is the approximate burn in time for both the sonicTransporter and microRendu?

Thanks.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #623 of 1,486
Yes, the Microrendu can be used without the Sonictransporter. The Sonictransporter could replace your PC in your system, and act as both the server and controller while the microrendu will act as the renderer. You can connect a NAS to the Sonictransporter or simply use its internal storage to store and serve up your files.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #624 of 1,486
  Yes, the Microrendu can be used without the Sonictransporter. The Sonictransporter could replace your PC in your system, and act as both the server and controller while the microrendu will act as the renderer. You can connect a NAS to the Sonictransporter or simply use its internal storage to store and serve up your files.

Thanks. I see that you have the Intona in the chain after the microRendu. Does it make any sense to put my W4S Recovery after the microRendu and before the Yggy? 

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #625 of 1,486
It should make sense to you only if you were to hear a difference. In my case, the Intona allows me to combine the effects of both the Totaldac USB cable and the Curious regen cable. One without the other doesn't do it for me.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #626 of 1,486
Of course! 
smily_headphones1.gif
   And thanks.

I have the Regen on order also and I will play with the various combinations. From the few reviews it sounds like the improvements, if any, are very much individual and system dependant.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #627 of 1,486
Just posted this on the microRendu thread but on reflection think perhaps I should have posted it here.

Got my microRendu yesterday (just in time as Vortexbox UK are now out of stock) and have the basic £16 7v 2.5amp PS, which is plugged straight into the wall socket. Using it with the usb hard adapter into my Chord Dave, with my Synology DS216j as the source. I've been running it for just over 20 hours and it sounds very good but just a little soft and lacking in fine detail compared to an Auralic Aries I currently have on loan and my AK380. I expect the SQ will develop over the next few days but I'm a little impatient to learn what kind of changes I can expect from burn in and from a better PS. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #628 of 1,486
I use my MicroRendu with the JS-2 power supply. I was very pleased with the sound, and even more so when I added network optical isolation using two FCM200CMs and an optical cable. Yesterday, I took the two FCMs off their switching power supplies and connected them to a Y-cable off my JS-2 LPS, and the see-throughness of the sound, as well as improved details, and air were enhanced. Impressive. I will recommend getting a very good LPS for your MicroRendu - I know many are loathe to throw more money at it, but once you can feed completely good power to your MicroRendu, all the glorious nuance will be laid bare to you.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #629 of 1,486
I use my MicroRendu with the JS-2 power supply. I was very pleased with the sound, and even more so when I added network optical isolation using two FCM200CMs and an optical cable. Yesterday, I took the two FCMs off their switching power supplies and connected them to a Y-cable off my JS-2 LPS, and the see-throughness of the sound, as well as improved details, and air were enhanced. Impressive. I will recommend getting a very good LPS for your MicroRendu - I know many are loathe to throw more money at it, but once you can feed completely good power to your MicroRendu, all the glorious nuance will be laid bare to you.

I took the plunge and ordered the LPS-1 yesterday. Hoping for delivery mid-November.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #630 of 1,486
Luckily, I was among the first batch on the LPS-1 bandwagon and should have mine in mid-October. Excited for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back