REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Sep 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #601 of 1,486
Been thinking of getting the microrendu rather than a dedicated server like an Aurender or Auralic Aries (even spoke to Vortexbox UK stockists about it) but now wondering if a dedicated server would be the safer option for someone like me who doesn't have much technical knowledge. I bought and installed a Synology NAS over the weekend to put my music on (as a first step to setting up a microrendu system), thinking that setup would be relatively easy compared to some of the problems reported in getting things to work properly with the microrendu. But no... for the life of me I cannot find a way of sending music from the Synology DS216j to my Chord Dave vIa USB using my iPad. Both musicserver and minimserver are installed on the NAS, and I can play music from the NAS on my iPad/iPhone using the Synology DS Audio app, but Linn Kazoo gets stuck on "Waiting for room...", even though it sees MinimServer[DS216j]. To the more experienced and knowledgable among you, does this sound like something very basic that's easily fixed? I really would like to get the microrendu but I'm worried that I'll be spending all my time trying to get the system working properly and never getting the best out of it.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #602 of 1,486
Romaz, I've ventured into the world of streaming with a modified Sonos Connect Ultimo.

The epiphany I had is that we are listening to the network when we stream.

I added a Waversa hub to regenerate the ethernet signal before feeding the Sonos. Stunning upgrade by itself.

I then replaced my cable modem and airport extreme with a Netgear modem/router 1 box.

I ditched the Netgear wall wart for a Teddy Pardo 12v.

This made a substantial difference.

I stream Tidal with the Sonos. I've finally put away the CDs and there's no looking back.

So all of the hand wringing over which streamer to chose would be more properly spent addressing the listener's network set up.

As always, it's the systematic approach that pays dividends.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #603 of 1,486
Been thinking of getting the microrendu rather than a dedicated server like an Aurender or Auralic Aries (even spoke to Vortexbox UK stockists about it) but now wondering if a dedicated server would be the safer option for someone like me who doesn't have much technical knowledge. I bought and installed a Synology NAS over the weekend to put my music on (as a first step to setting up a microrendu system), thinking that setup would be relatively easy compared to some of the problems reported in getting things to work properly with the microrendu. But no... for the life of me I cannot find a way of sending music from the Synology DS216j to my Chord Dave vIa USB using my iPad. Both musicserver and minimserver are installed on the NAS, and I can play music from the NAS on my iPad/iPhone using the Synology DS Audio app, but Linn Kazoo gets stuck on "Waiting for room...", even though it sees MinimServer[DS216j]. To the more experienced and knowledgable among you, does this sound like something very basic that's easily fixed? I really would like to get the microrendu but I'm worried that I'll be spending all my time trying to get the system working properly and never getting the best out of it.

Don't give up.  Once properly set up, you don't have to do anything further and the improvement will be worthwhile and for less money than your other proposed options.  I've used Linn Kazoo once upon a time because it came with my CAT CAD but I can't really tell you how to use it because I didn't find it as enjoyable to use as Roon.  Consider downloading a trial of Roon on your PC or Mac and then pointing it to your NAS as your storage device.  This should be very easy to do.  If you are on a PC, you have to download Chord's ASIO driver.  If you are on a Mac, you are good to go.  Should you decide to get a microRendu at some point, you then select the microRendu as your output device in Roon instead of the Chord DAVE.  It's really that easy.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #604 of 1,486
  Romaz, I've ventured into the world of streaming with a modified Sonos Connect Ultimo.

The epiphany I had is that we are listening to the network when we stream.

I added a Waversa hub to regenerate the ethernet signal before feeding the Sonos. Stunning upgrade by itself.

I then replaced my cable modem and airport extreme with a Netgear modem/router 1 box.

I ditched the Netgear wall wart for a Teddy Pardo 12v.

This made a substantial difference.

I stream Tidal with the Sonos. I've finally put away the CDs and there's no looking back.

So all of the hand wringing over which streamer to chose would be more properly spent addressing the listener's network set up.

As always, it's the systematic approach that pays dividends.

Glad you found a good solution.  When purity of music is what you're after, isolating against noise, whether it be mechanical or electrical noise, is always a good idea.  Optical isolators are another inexpensive way of achieving what you have achieved, even without the Teddy Pardo.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #605 of 1,486
   Optical isolators are another inexpensive way of achieving what you have achieved, even without the Teddy Pardo.

I found this audiostream mR review below interesting. Basically, that inserting an optical link into the Ethernet route improved the sound - but particularly when he added improved power supplies for the extra converters. Shame though that it further increases the box count.   

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-simple-design-microrendu-audiophile-odyssey#0LsgxryM6tpBlZjJ.97

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #606 of 1,486
  Glad you found a good solution.  When purity of music is what you're after, isolating against noise, whether it be mechanical or electrical noise, is always a good idea.  Optical isolators are another inexpensive way of achieving what you have achieved, even without the Teddy Pardo.

Yes, switching power supplies for cable modems and airport extreme may be fine for surfing the net, but they have no place in a high end audio streaming setup.

Interestingly, the Sonos Connect Ultimo has less jitter than my previous CD transport.

And it appears Tidal is capable of rivaling CD playback, as long as the integrity and purity of the signal is kept intact.

Although that is a tall order.

I found that stock ethernet cables bleached the sound.

I upgraded to Totaldac ethernet cables.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #607 of 1,486
I’m glad someone else noticing the negative SQ impact standard switching power supplies for cable modems have. I address this in post #511.

It’s a clear difference in SQ between different manufacture’s digital cables IMO. This goes for USB, HDMI, SPDF, AES and LAN cables. I haven’t tried SATA cables personally, but would be very surprised if it was no difference. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #608 of 1,486
My speculation is that the dive in SQ is caused by the routers wall wart. That the router’s switching noise is traveling thru the mains in the room to my PC and other audio gear. Like more streaming traffic -> more switching noise or something like that. And if I can hear a difference while I use or not use an Internet browser at the same time as am playing Tidal music in Roon. What’s saying the router doesn’t also infect while only streaming Tidal in Roon.  

I know that Roy and some others have said that the NAS/router doesn’t have any effect on the sound, but I would think that those audio setup is (very) different (maybe less sensitive) and not includes a PC or laptop that is connected to the router. So if anyone that has a mR and a PC/laptop can try and see if you get the same result it would be great.

MCRU have a linear power supply for routers. Maybe something for me?

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/wireless-router-psu-s/566-regulated-linear-power-supply-for-virgin-superhub.html

My cable modem and router are connected to a different power line. My audio gear is on a dedicated line.

However, the switching power supplies from the cable modem and airport extreme were wreaking havoc on the sound.

I don't know how this is happening.

I suspect that's why people are skeptical about upgrading to a linear power supply for the modem/router.

But it is the first thing that should be done in a streaming set up.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #609 of 1,486
The thing is, I understood from earlier posts that the mR is meant to be so successful at eliminating noise, that the type and quality of upstream components don't matter much. So a $500 laptop would sound just as good as a $10k server. Or something like that. Now it seems that this understanding may have been too simplistic.

My mR and DAVE DAC are on a dedicated line (including Audience TSS power conditioner). My wireless router with wallwart supply is on a different line. And my laptop is usually battery powered and connected by wifi to the router.
And it sounds great (i.e. better than the laptop connected direct to DAVE via USB cable). So would a power supply upgrade to the router significantly improve SQ in this situation?

I'll think about the extra optical link idea at a later stage. One step at a time.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #610 of 1,486
Don't give up.  Once properly set up, you don't have to do anything further and the improvement will be worthwhile and for less money than your other proposed options.  I've used Linn Kazoo once upon a time because it came with my CAT CAD but I can't really tell you how to use it because I didn't find it as enjoyable to use as Roon.  Consider downloading a trial of Roon on your PC or Mac and then pointing it to your NAS as your storage device.  This should be very easy to do.  If you are on a PC, you have to download Chord's ASIO driver.  If you are on a Mac, you are good to go.  Should you decide to get a microRendu at some point, you then select the microRendu as your output device in Roon instead of the Chord DAVE.  It's really that easy.

Thsnks for the encouragement, romaz. Not sure I'll have the time to try that before the weekend but I'll give it a go. Cheers

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #611 of 1,486

COMPARISON OF 5 HIGH-END MUSIC SERVERS - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries and Audiophile Vortex Box

Something else I never considered before, the better the source, the more illuminated everything else sounds after it and the better components seem to receive the greatest illumination.  ...... As to what I will be buying for myself, because negotiations are ongoing, I will keep that private. 

I've been considering the microRendu sonicTransporter combo for some time now (I've primarily been following the developments and experiences at Computer Audiophile). 

I'm close to moving forward on this as the front end of my system is in need of an upgrade. And since this will be for my headphone system, I wanted to ask members active on this tread for their guidance.

I've made it through the first eight pages, but figured it might just be easier to ask this of you Romaz: First, terrific review. Second, based on the review it appeared that you settled on the CAD CAT, however, when I look at your profile you have eliminated most of the components you discuss in the review. What remains is the microRendu and the sonicTransporter.

Is there a short answer / reason as to why (other than the likely obvious such as SQ, synergy, value,... 

Any other guidance as I move forward with the microRendu and sonicTransporter within a headphone system?

I will be reading the entire thread, though this will take me some time.

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #612 of 1,486
Yes my experience was similar. Did you use special wires in wall, or just stuck with stock construction stuff?

The surprise, as I was telling another loose-walleted friend around here, was that even with this I still preferred my ps audio p10 plugged into the dedicated wall socket over just direct to the dedicated wall socket.

In second place was my p5, yes sadly I can hear an improvement for the p10 over the p5.

Last of all was direct to the dedicated wall socket.

Well I never!  :)

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #613 of 1,486
@SurFi, I think that romaz has taken a break from forum posting, so you may not get a reply any time soon.
In short, he found the mR made his transporter sound as good as his CAD CAT, so there was no point in holding onto the much more expensive CAD.
I think since then he has moved onto a laptop.

But this is one thread that you really should persevere in reading all the way through. So much to learn...

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #614 of 1,486

My mR and DAVE DAC are on a dedicated line (including Audience TSS power conditioner). My wireless router with wallwart supply is on a different line. And my laptop is usually battery powered and connected by wifi to the router.
And it sounds great (i.e. better than the laptop connected direct to DAVE via USB cable). So would a power supply upgrade to the router significantly improve SQ in this situation?

I don't run the mR, but every network change I've made has made a difference.

I just went from ethernet power line to direct ethernet, and it's a pretty big leap.

I would definitely try to power the router with a linear power supply.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #615 of 1,486
  @SurFi, I think that romaz has taken a break from forum posting, so you may not get a reply any time soon.
In short, he found the mR made his transporter sound as good as his CAD CAT, so there was no point in holding onto the much more expensive CAD.
I think since then he has moved onto a laptop.

But this is one thread that you really should persevere in reading all the way through. So much to learn...

Hope everything is okay with romaz?

Thanks for the update, though it does lead to another question: What do you mean by your statement "he has moved onto a laptop?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back