REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Aug 31, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #571 of 1,486
  I thought it was already the promise, ever since the LPS-1 was announced, that it would be the best PSU for the mR (more strictly, the best post-PSU clean up device thingy for the mR).

However, based on other threads that anticipate some shiny new thing, there's often quite a big time lag between "almost ready" and "it's now shipping".
And I expect this will be followed by several weeks/months of opinions on best synergy of the upstream PSU options.

In the meantime I'll be (hopefully) enjoying my MCRU 7v version that arrived today and is warming up for a first evening's listening session.
If the consensus turns out that the LPS-1 does indeed fulfill its promise, then at the very worse I'd have lost a fraction of what I'd typically spend on, say, a single cable. 

As the MCRU has it's own version of a post-PSU clean-up device thingy, it would be interesting to see if a series of cascading clean-up devices improve or over complicate the situation. 

It was never clear to me whether the LPS-1 would be the best value option or the absolute best option regardless of price.  From my view, it appeared confusing that 2 of the principals responsible for the creation of the mR (John Swensen and Jesus Rodriguez) would come out with competing PSUs, one being priced 3x higher than the other.  Predictably, both parties have been careful not to say anything that would denigrate the other although John's more recent comments about the LPS-1's unique capability (of being able to break ground loops introduced through leakage currents that even the best LPSUs can't prevent) and the superior sound he is hearing with the LPS-1 against his own JS-2 (which I interpret to mean against "all" traditional PSUs since he considers his JS-2 to be among the very best) are very telling of what John thinks is best.  Is this just predictable posturing from someone who has a financial stake in the LPS-1 or a truly objective observation from a man of science who thus far has been very fair about his comments?

If I had not yet committed to an aftermarket PSU for the mR, personally, I would wait for the LPS-1 and make do with the iFi until the LPS-1 comes out.  Even though I have a Paul Hynes coming in, I will probably buy an LPS-1 anyway and compare the two.  The worst that can happen is that I will have to sell it if it isn't better which shouldn't be hard to do.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #572 of 1,486
Romaz, coming back to my DSD playback issue:

During the night I have made an upgrade for the microrendu to firmware version 2.2 .
Unfortunately, I have the impression, that the upgrade did not change anything. Whatever settings I have chosen, the outcome of this was either no playback at all or a non-bit perfect play.

I guess the second reason for my DSD playback issues you took into consideration is the most lolely one:
Maybe my QNAP NAS has too specific characteristics and it's either impossible or difficult to set it up for bit perfect playback

Thank you guys for your help.

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #573 of 1,486
Romaz, coming back to my DSD playback issue:

During the night I have made an upgrade for the microrendu to firmware version 2.2 .
Unfortunately, I have the impression, that the upgrade did not change anything. Whatever settings I have chosen, the outcome of this was either no playback at all or a non-bit perfect play.

I guess the second reason for my DSD playback issues you took into consideration is the most lolely one:
Maybe my QNAP NAS has too specific characteristics and it's either impossible or difficult to set it up for bit perfect playback

Thank you guys for your help.

Maybe you should try to use your computer > Rendu, that should give you a clear answer if the NAS is the one that giving problem. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #574 of 1,486
@Johnny Moondog ... Did you had a chance to compare your Sign. Series power supply to other competitors?

No I did not have the opportunity to compare. I ordered the Signature Series and microRendu together. And partly out of ignorance, because at the time I didn't even know about the JS-2 and that John Swenson had designed it. I did feel strange spending more money on the power supply than the microRendu (but I got over it pretty quickly).

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #575 of 1,486
  Even though I have a Paul Hynes coming in, I will probably buy an LPS-1 anyway and compare the two.  The worst that can happen is that I will have to sell it if it isn't better which shouldn't be hard to do.

I can see the writing on the wall... Even though I own the Signature Series I'll probably buy an LPS-1 too, just because curiosity will get the best of me!

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #576 of 1,486

No I did not have the opportunity to compare. I ordered the Signature Series and microRendu together. And partly out of ignorance, because at the time I didn't even know about the JS-2 and that John Swenson had designed it. I did feel strange spending more money on the power supply than the microRendu (but I got over it pretty quickly).

I believe that the microRendu is too good in terms of cost-performance ratio
smile.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #577 of 1,486
Regarding my DSD playback issues with my "Roon on NAS/microRendu" setup I succeeded partly:
With the microrendu settings in Roon set either all to "disable" or to "up to 752kHz - up to 32bit - DSD256" and set "DoP" for DSD mode in GUI of microrendu/settings, and after having switched Dave between DSD and PCM mode back and forcth 2 times, DSD64 and DAD128 files were played bitperfect/ lossless. DSD256 played lossless, but still without sound.

I addresses my self to Jesus from Sonore and he suspected firstly Roon not to be able to play DSD256 via DoP. After he received information of microrendu's status, he now suspects, that Dave can't play DSD256 file via DoP.

But I remeber, some of you stated that "Dave - microrendu - Roon" combination is compatible with DSD256 via DoP playback but not via native DSD playback at the moment.
Am I right?

I heard that Roon itself can do DSD to PCM conversion. Might this cause my DSD256 playback issues?

Jörg

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #578 of 1,486
Regarding my DSD playback issues with my "Roon on NAS/microRendu" setup I succeeded partly:
With the microrendu settings in Roon set either all to "disable" or to "up to 752kHz - up to 32bit - DSD256" and set "DoP" for DSD mode in GUI of microrendu/settings, and after having switched Dave between DSD and PCM mode back and forcth 2 times, DSD64 and DAD128 files were played bitperfect/ lossless. DSD256 played lossless, but still without sound.

I addresses my self to Jesus from Sonore and he suspected firstly Roon not to be able to play DSD256 via DoP. After he received information of microrendu's status, he now suspects, that Dave can't play DSD256 file via DoP.

But I remeber, some of you stated that "Dave - microrendu - Roon" combination is compatible with DSD256 via DoP playback but not via native DSD playback at the moment.
Am I right?

I heard that Roon itself can do DSD to PCM conversion. Might this cause my DSD256 playback issues?

Jörg

I'm sorry you're still having problems, Jörg.  DAVE is capable of up to DSD512 playback.  I don't know what the limits of Roon are but I am playing DSD256 files using Roon > microRendu > DAVE with the latest version of Roon and the latest firmware update of the microRendu via DoP.  It's interesting Jesus has forgetten this since he spent so much time with me resolving it but to be honest, it was Andrew Gillis that actually did all the work of creating new firmware to properly accommodate Chord DACs.  You might want to get a hold of Andrew.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #579 of 1,486
Roy, I was searching the "Chord Electronics" thread and found your post 3111
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3105

I think my DSD playback ISSUE looks very much like your's at that time.
The solution was the firmware update for the microRendu.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #580 of 1,486
Then I brought my apartment last fall it came without earthed ground outlets in the living room. The flat has grounded outlets in the kitchen and bathroom, so no biggi to install it. I’m planning to get an electrical company to install some new earthed ground outlets and wondering if anyone have any experience with audio grade wall outlets. Does audio grade outlets (or other better “normal” outlets) make a (notable) difference if one using good power cables and a power condition or power regenerator? If they do make an audible difference which one do you guys recommend?

For the record the Blue Jeans Cat 6 sound dull in my audio setup, just like their other cables. Maybe not surprising that their signal cables is not as good sounding as some other cables I have that cost many times more, but even my Deltaco Patch-cable CAT 6 (unshielded) sounds better than the BJ Cat6 IMO. The Deltaco is much stiffer, thicker and not as good looking as the BJ. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #581 of 1,486
You may want to consider dedicated lines, one for analog and one for digital, while you're at it. I'm using the Furutech flagship ncf rhodium wall outlets. Obviously this is hard to ab, but it is better than my previous wall outlet which was the Furutech previous flagship, rhodium (non ncf).

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #582 of 1,486
You may want to consider dedicated lines, one for analog and one for digital, while you're at it. I'm using the Furutech flagship ncf rhodium wall outlets. Obviously this is hard to ab, but it is better than my previous wall outlet which was the Furutech previous flagship, rhodium (non ncf).

I switched from GTX-D(rhodium) to the NCF version and I was surprised to be able to detect a difference.  Just calmer and more relaxed.  A dedicated line made the biggest difference though and only cost me about $300 to have installed by a licensed electrician (almost as much as the NCF receptacle by itself).  Adding a 2nd dedicated line doesn't add much more to the price.  Here is the primer I followed.  Using at least 10g Romex and connecting this single line to a single receptacle (if possible) is the key:

http://www.msbtech.com/support/wiring.php?Page=supportHome

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #583 of 1,486
I switched from GTX-D(rhodium) to the NCF version and I was surprised to be able to detect a difference.  Just calmer and more relaxed.  A dedicated line made the biggest difference though and only cost me about $300 to have installed by a licensed electrician (almost as much as the NCF receptacle by itself).  Adding a 2nd dedicated line doesn't add much more to the price.  Here is the primer I followed.  Using at least 10g Romex and connecting this single line to a single receptacle (if possible) is the key:

http://www.msbtech.com/support/wiring.php?Page=supportHome

Yes my experience was similar. Did you use special wires in wall, or just stuck with stock construction stuff?

The surprise, as I was telling another loose-walleted friend around here, was that even with this I still preferred my ps audio p10 plugged into the dedicated wall socket over just direct to the dedicated wall socket.

In second place was my p5, yes sadly I can hear an improvement for the p10 over the p5.

Last of all was direct to the dedicated wall socket.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #584 of 1,486
Very much appreciate your replay jelt2359 and Roy!

Am going to discuss your recommendations with the electrical company and see what they can do.

jelt2359 I’m about to order a PS audio P3. Have you compared it to the P5?

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #585 of 1,486
Yes my experience was similar. Did you use special wires in wall, or just stuck with stock construction stuff?

The surprise, as I was telling another loose-walleted friend around here, was that even with this I still preferred my ps audio p10 plugged into the dedicated wall socket over just direct to the dedicated wall socket.

In second place was my p5, yes sadly I can hear an improvement for the p10 over the p5.

Last of all was direct to the dedicated wall socket.

You can buy audiophile grade wiring from Cardas and JPS Labs but I've never read any comparisons from anyone who's actually used this expensive wire. I happened to find an electrician who is also an audiophile and he was very helpful in his guidance.  He was the one that directed me to Vince Galbo's article.  

I have 4 dedicated lines in my home (2 for my HT which were installed years ago and 2 for my 2-channel/headphone setup that were installed earlier this year).  The problem with multiple dedicated lines for any setup is the likelihood of ground loops.  This was the case with my 2-channel/headphone setup.  My subwoofer hum disappeared completely when I put everything onto one circuit and so YMMV.  A single 20A circuit can supply 2400 watts (120V) or 1200 watts (240V), which is plenty for most people's needs.

In my HT, it was wired with Romex 10AWG/2 but with my dedicated lines for my 2-channel/headphone setup, I went with 10AWG/3 at the recommendation of my electrician which wasn't any more expensive.  Your electrician may question the use of this wire which contains 2 hot (black + red), 1 neutral (white) and 1 ground (green) wire but the reason to use 10/3 wire is that this cable has a natural twist which reduces interference transmission.  Furthermore, my electrician used one of the hot wires and combined it with the ground wire so that the ground wire was comprised of 2 wires to further reduce resistance of the ground wire.  In his theoretical view, to have as big a drain as possible was ideal.

As highlighted in Vince Galbo's article, the main goal of a dedicated circuit is not so much to have a clean signal but to reduce resistance, not just for power hungry amps but also for digital gear like DACs and music servers.  While such devices don't require large peak amounts of current, they often require very rapid transient current delivery which can easily get choked by 12g or smaller wire.  This is another reason to have a single uninterrupted large conduit connecting your receptable to your circuit breaker.  If there are side branches feeding other receptacles, it will have an impact on the resistance of your line.  

Clean power is a secondary benefit.  While it will have no impact if your utility's power is dirty, it will guard against noise from other circuits in your home (refrigerator, microwave, HVAC, etc) which often is the main source of dirty power in most homes.  If you are noticing benefit from an AC regenerator despite having a dedicated circuit, it usually means your utility company's power output is dirty.  The problem with AC regenerators or any device that is transformer-based is there is often a trade off -- you get a lower noise floor but you give up dynamics, even with low power DACs.  This is one reason why you might notice the P10 sounds better than the P5 even though the P5 should in theory provide plenty of power.  The question then becomes whether a P20 (assuming it existed) would sound even better than the P10.  Sometimes, you have no choice but to use an AC regenerator because the positives outweigh the negatives.  I brought in an AC regenerator into my home once and fortunately, in my case, it added no benefit and so I happily plug straight into my HFC MC-6 Hemisphere line conditioner (which isn't current limiting) which then plugs straight into the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back