REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Dec 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #151 of 1,486

Sorry, I can't divulge that as I don't want to disparage any products.

However, the moral here is that a mid-fi CD player used as a transport sounds very good and you would have to spend a lot more on a server to get the same sound quality.

Understood buddy. Yes, it is rather interesting. As you say, it depends entirely on the storage medium of your music.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #152 of 1,486

Did you compare the CD rip to the same CD?

Also, were the same power cables and interconnects used for all 3 transports?

There are too many variables with CD rips. I found out my CD rips via XLD vs. dbpoweramp sound completely different.

But the fact that the Cambridge trounced my $6k+ server playing back redbook CD is an eye opener.

If I had all of my music available on 24-bit studio files, I would definitely go with a server.

Yes, we ripped the CD we were listening to onto the Antipodes using its "paranoid mode" as an uncompressed FLAC.

Audio dealer was a Nordost dealer and all cables were high end Nordost including a $5k power cord.  All cables were kept constant with the exception that the Antipodes had to use a USB cable.  The digital coax remained the same between the Cambridge and the Wadia. 

The DAC makes a difference here.  Having communicated with Rob Watts recently regarding his DAVE, he indicates that USB sounds best with optical a close second on this DAC.  The others (coax and AES/EBU) come after that and so that may have influenced the outcome.

Your point is well taken, however.  I have yet to find a server under $5k that is satisfying to me and yet inexpensive CD transports and turntables can sound very good.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #153 of 1,486
If I was going to use a CD Transport, this would be it.

http://www.metronome-technologie.com/en/cd-transports-metronome-technology.f3.html

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #154 of 1,486
  Audio dealer was a Nordost dealer and all cables were high end Nordost including a $5k power cord.  All cables were kept constant with the exception that the Antipodes had to use a USB cable.  The digital coax remained the same between the Cambridge and the Wadia. 

Your point is well taken, however.  I have yet to find a server under $5k that is satisfying to me and yet inexpensive CD transports and turntables can sound very good.

$5k power cord on the Cambridge!

I'm using an Audience AU24se on myself on the Cambridge.

Everywhere on the forums I see people have jumped on the server bandwagon. They're playing ripped files on their computer or server, saying it's indistinguishable from CD playback.

I found out the hard way that's not the case.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #156 of 1,486

Yeah, one of the uber expensive CD transports. I bet it sounds amazing though.

Yeah, one of the uber expensive CD transports. I bet it sounds amazing though.

Agreed ! but do you have to have a servant to clean it when it gets dusty?!?!
Seriously, are we impressed with being told the most expensive items are the best?
We all would like a Ferrari but just how good is it running the kids to school!
Get back to the main issue of the thread-comparing music servers-if we were to discuss CD vs MS why not also throw in Vinyl too? I gave up on Vinyl over 40 years ago when three little Kids found it more 'interesting' than lego. !!   and I then gave up on CDs when I'd got too many to store(bearing in mind , like most people,I've only a standard size house!) I now have two audio systems. One in the 'Living' room (Speaker)and one in my Study(Headphone). Both work from the same source (so I don't have to go down stairs to find a CD only to get back upstairs to consider I fancy something else)Goddammit , all my Wife has to do is turn the Server/Amp on downstairs and I can keep her supplied with music whilst she does all those fun things like cooking and cleaning(leaving me more time to write anal posts on music server threads !!!) 
.......and I consider myself a Dinosaur !!!

And before anybody asks - Meridian 818s ( with MQA - and no I'm not going to try and convince the sceptics- on the MQA threads - that it works !!)

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #157 of 1,486

Agreed ! but do you have to have a servant to clean it when it gets dusty?!?!
Seriously, are we impressed with being told the most expensive items are the best?
We all would like a Ferrari but just how good is it running the kids to school!
Get back to the main issue of the thread-comparing music servers-if we were to discuss CD vs MS why not also throw in Vinyl too? I gave up on Vinyl over 40 years ago when three little Kids found it more 'interesting' than lego. !!   and I then gave up on CDs when I'd got too many to store(bearing in mind , like most people,I've only a standard size house!) I now have two audio systems. One in the 'Living' room (Speaker)and one in my Study(Headphone). Both work from the same source (so I don't have to go down stairs to find a CD only to get back upstairs to consider I fancy something else)Goddammit , all my Wife has to do is turn the Server/Amp on downstairs and I can keep her supplied with music whilst she does all those fun things like cooking and cleaning(leaving me more time to write anal posts on music server threads !!!) 
.......and I consider myself a Dinosaur !!!

And before anybody asks - Meridian 818s ( with MQA - and no I'm not going to try and convince the sceptics- on the MQA threads - that it works !!)

When you want to hear a certain song presented as perfectly as possible, sometimes it is nice to have a device that can do that, even it means going back to a less convenient device like a CD player.  While I would never spend $85k for a CD transport like the Kalista, spending $250 for a used Cambridge makes sense if one feels it is better than their server.  In fact, I did the same thing when I bought my Oppo SACD player a year ago.  But like most people, the convenience that music servers provide, to be able to leaf through their collection of thousands of tracks on a tablet and to be able to span different artists, albums and genres during a listening session without having to get up off your easy chair is hard to resist.  Obviously, the ultimate is to have a device that accomplishes both SQ and conveneince with no significant compromises and that was the intention of this thread.  I do feel this is already a reality for those willing to spend above a certain threshold ($5k) or willing to educate themselves about computer optimization.

Some of you may already be aware of this piece by Chris Connaker, founder of Computer Audiophile, that he penned in July:

"Hi Guys, just a quick update from my travels this week. I’m currently flying over northern California on my way home to Minneapolis. I’ve been in the Bay Area for four days working on a couple music servers. My task was to install Windows Server 2012 R2 and Audiophile Optimizer to squeeze every ounce of sound quality from a computer. The end result surprised me very much. I had some reservations about the install and the efficacy of going to such great lengths tweaking a PC. I figured the sound would improve, but I didn’t figure it would improve by so much. This week I heard the best digital playback I’ve ever heard. Period. "

As Chris has been around the block a few times, I have to assume he is including CD playback in his statement.  The best sound I have ever heard from a CD player was from a $23,000 Esoteric unit I head a year ago but I would be interested to know how even an $85k Kalista compares against the best music server that can be built today.  As I survey the parts you can source today to build your own server, from OCXO clocks to specialized SSDs to UPOCC grade cabling to multi-transformer power supplies and to the OS optimization tools that Chris is talking about, I share Chris' sentiment that the technology is there now for a music server to play at the same level (or maybe even better) than the best CD transport.

Of great interest, David, please do tell more about your experience with MQA.  Is it as good as we all hope it to be?

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #158 of 1,486
Hi Roy

I agree with your comments!
I've had initial auditions with MQA to realise that like Entreq, it does what it says it should do!!(refer to the many Bob Stewart interviews)
As my view will probably not influence anybody,I suggest watching the two videos on utube by Hans Beekhuyzen who explain it better than most(enter Meridian MQA)as I know you already have!
David

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #159 of 1,486
  Received my CAT server a couple weeks ago, been running it in 24/7 since then. I can say it's a big improvement over the Antipodes DS and even the DX which I had fully outfitted with HRS Nimbus Couplers and Damping Plates as well as Synergistic Research Red Fuses. So much more finesse and detail, musicality still remains and the energy takes a big step forward. Most notably it highlighted a flaw with the Antipodes units I hadn't previously noticed. Having heard the CAT makes the DX and DS seem overly gentle and polite in their presentation, they lack the same transparency, resolution and energy that the CAT presents. It's as though the Antipodes purposely rolls those off to make themselves seemingly more smooth and musical. Without anything to compare it to it sound all well and good, but after hearing the CAT the Antipodes just sound boring.
  I must say with the CAT running Roon usability and integration also takes a step forward.

Once I've had the time between work to do more critical listening to the CAT I'll do a more comprehensive write up of my findings. Until then if you have any questions feel free to PM me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #161 of 1,486
  When you want to hear a certain song presented as perfectly as possible, sometimes it is nice to have a device that can do that, even it means going back to a less convenient device like a CD player.  While I would never spend $85k for a CD transport like the Kalista, spending $250 for a used Cambridge makes sense if one feels it is better than their server.  In fact, I did the same thing when I bought my Oppo SACD player a year ago.  But like most people, the convenience that music servers provide, to be able to leaf through their collection of thousands of tracks on a tablet and to be able to span different artists, albums and genres during a listening session without having to get up off your easy chair is hard to resist.

Interestingly, I find that with CD playback, I let the CD play through and skip and few tracks here and there.

Whereas with my server, I was always leafing through my collection.

A big part of it is I don't have the full immersion with my server. Whereas with CD, I get swept away and just let the music play without itching to switch tracks all the time.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #162 of 1,486
Love it !

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #164 of 1,486

Interestingly, I find that with CD playback, I let the CD play through and skip and few tracks here and there.

A big part of it is I don't have the full immersion with my server. Whereas with CD, I get swept away and just let the music play without itching to switch tracks all the time.

I do this with the iPad (Controller app for Lumin) - line up an album, relax and listen through it.

When using a computer I end up listening to random tracks and playlists. The former is more rewarding in my experience.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #165 of 1,486
So are you saying that CD replay is more enjoyable than your music server? Or that the convenience of the latter causes you to jump from one artist to another?

Apologies as I read your post again. Would you mind sharing your server and CD player with us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back