[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #256 of 355
That gold colored case, ugh.. I chose the Sony over the AT only because they have a more prominent bass and not big enough to slip off my head like the A900x did.

So after going for an open headphone like the MA900, it's tough going back closed and losing the airy and non congested feel.

This scuff mark is staring at me now.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #257 of 355
  I'm looking into the AD2000/x as the AD1000x is no longer worth it for the price paid (imo of course).

I got my ad1000x for $320US and it's worth it, for me.

AD900x looks and feels cheap after using it... and I much prefer the sound of the ad1000x. I don't know how you can say the 1000x isn't worth it but the 2000x is for 30-40% more? From what I've read the 2000x is just a slightly more refined and forward 1000x but both have a very similar signature. I like how the 1000x are slightly more laid back as I have enough forward headphones :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #258 of 355
It's nice to hear some feedback from an AD1000X user!

I agree with the seemingly increased price on the AD1000X it's not as good a proposition. For around the $300 I paid for it it's great.

Since then I've gotten the DT880 which I also think is a good option if you want something even more aggressive than the AD1000X.

The weather is heating up here in Australia which means more open headphone time!

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #259 of 355

I got my ad1000x for $320US and it's worth it, for me.

AD900x looks and feels cheap after using it... and I much prefer the sound of the ad1000x. I don't know how you can say the 1000x isn't worth it but the 2000x is for 30-40% more? From what I've read the 2000x is just a slightly more refined and forward 1000x but both have a very similar signature. I like how the 1000x are slightly more laid back as I have enough forward headphones :)

AD2000x is more attractive to me, because the AD1000x isn't exactly value priced at the moment.  I got the DT 880 Pro and Aune T1 new for less than I would pay for just the ATH-AD1000x+Shipping alone.

I'd rather just go all out instead of compromising if value is out of the equation.  Not that money is everything of course, but I have many hobbies.  

My headphone savings are probably going into the Samsung NX20 or an NEX-6 

It's nice to hear some feedback from an AD1000X user!

I agree with the seemingly increased price on the AD1000X it's not as good a proposition. For around the $300 I paid for it it's great.

Since then I've gotten the DT880 which I also think is a good option if you want something even more aggressive than the AD1000X.

The weather is heating up here in Australia which means more open headphone time!

The DT880 Pro isn't aggressive to me, at least when comparing something like the Amperior.  Scary how the Amperior can render open orchestra into somewhat of a closed garage grunge experience.

Solid state is colder sounding, less musical for sure.  But I would imagine the Pro version to be tweaked edgier than the Premium.

Going to be awhile before I can ease my suspense, being a little wiser about spending haha

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #260 of 355
I bought the AD1000x and am happy with how it sounds even when compared to the AD900x which I feel has some soundstage imaging issues. However, I feel that there's a big issue with comfort, especially how my ears manage to touch the drivers. I was wondering if anyone in this thread had a similar problem.

I also found some mods that solved something like this in the AD700's. I can't find out for myself at the moment because I don't have the materials (some coaxial wire and cushioning taped into a circle and pushed in between the drivers and earpads) available but I wonder if anyone thinks there are problem with doing this to the AD1000x.

This is my first big purchase in headphones but even though I'm happy with the sound quality, the comfort disappoints me.

EDIT:

Anyone with the 2kx have any comfort issues/driving touching ear? Bugs me on the AD1000x, don't know why they couldn't just have the earpads further out since the drivers aren't angled...

This sounds like what I'm having problems with. How did you get around this?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #261 of 355
  This sounds like what I'm having problems with. How did you get around this?

Slowly getting used to it, it was only really bothering me on my left ear. I find that if I push the cups up a bit I don't feel it as much.... bugs me a little though that they couldn't have just made thicker pads or something, maybe the test samples have small ears.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #262 of 355
How long have you had them? It may be a problem that will go away once your ears get used to the headphones. I bought a pair of AD2000's with Denon pads, which did help angle the drivers because of the wedged pad width near the back, but my ears still hurt the first day or so. After 10 or so cumulative hours, my ears stopped getting uncomfortable with the drivers and I can wear for hours on hours at a time.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #263 of 355
  How long have you had them? It may be a problem that will go away once your ears get used to the headphones. I bought a pair of AD2000's with Denon pads, which did help angle the drivers because of the wedged pad width near the back, but my ears still hurt the first day or so. After 10 or so cumulative hours, my ears stopped getting uncomfortable with the drivers and I can wear for hours on hours at a time.

I've had them for a week now. I can wear them for maybe 2 hours but I find myself adjusting it slightly every now and then because of slight irritability. It's mainly that the very end of my left ear touches the driver surface that it gets quite uncomfortable a few hours in.

I'm trying to alleviate this with a thin strip of sponge to push out the offending section of the driver further out. This does seem more comfortable immediately after.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #265 of 355
Hello :) nice to see such detailed conversations on these MA and AD headsets!

I have a question for those with personal experience with either, as far as sound stage accuracy is concerned, which set (MA900 - AD1000x) would produce more precise sound positioning?

I ask because I am an avid gamer, and have heard wonderful things about the AD700x for running adobe digital surround sound for gaming, even over proprietary gaming headsets with 5-10 drivers for "true" surround sound. On the flip side I've heard negative things about the AD900x as far as sound stage is concerned, which is touched on in this excellent review. Seeing as I'm looking to make this a long-term item in my collection, I'm not apposed to go ahead and step up to a MA900 or AD1000x. If it has any merit, I'm trying to take the reviews of these sets and picture how they would handle sound effects such as gun fire, or explosions, and the positioning if such events, as they very common sounds In first person shooters.

Any information to help me chose would be wonderful, as I see tons of experience in this thread! Thank you so much !

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #266 of 355
Actually, I've received a loaner pair of AD700X's for review, so I will be updating this thread with some notes on that model. I don't do too much gaming on nowadays but I will touch base with my friend who does and give you a better idea when it comes to the MA900, AD1000X and AD700X when it comes to gaming.

As far as spatial positioning I feel like MA900 and the AD1000X are on par... though if I had to choose one I would go with the MA900 simply because it is more comfortable for longer gaming sessions.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #267 of 355
When I game it's normally for long sessions, when I have the time, so comfort is likely an important factor to consider, thanks for the recommendation :).

I'm looking forward to your added segment on the AD700x, and if you do happen to talk with your friend on the topic of gaming with these headsets that'd be awesome! After that I'll put the last nail in the coffin and make a purchase :).

Edit: I'm also semi interested if the AD1000x is worth almost twice as much as the AD700x, and how their sound stage accuracy compares. If the difference is minimal maybe it's best to go with the AD700x. Although the audiophile in me hopes the AD1000x are worth the upgrade :).

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #268 of 355
Thank you for this review.  I've had the Ad900x for a couple of months now and it's starting to bother me how uncomfortable they've gotten (sliding down my head/clampy) and I think I'm going to give the MA900 a shot!

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #270 of 355
You gotta be kidding me...just got my ma900s!

These are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  I will never view headphones the same way after buying these.  I prefer the sound signature over the ad900x.  They're less fatiguing and sound great for all genres.

Anyways, just felt like chiming in and thanking you for the suggestion on this badass headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back