[Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey with Audio-technica and versus CK100)
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #106 of 356
Very close to the level of Ety's. I have tested my CK100Pro with my Ety's, using tri flangers which are the tips that I experience isolate the best on both of them. The Ety's do have a slight advantage. I would give it a difference of around 5-10%. So extremely close..  
Thanks. I might spring for them soon, but since I'll order from PriceJapan, waiting for the AUD to go up a bit more first.
Also, has anyone tried an aftermarket cable with them?

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #107 of 356
Is the islolation of the ATH CK100PRO up to the level of the CK100? 

In my own words, in terms of the isolation factor of the CK100Pro's would be the least on my book of worries, they actually do isolate just as well as CK10/CK100, I would not go that far out and say they have very much more superior isolation compared to CK100, (I have owned the CK100's for quite sometime before I managed to acquire my pair of CK100PRO's, I still have them with me now and just earlier this yr I have also got my hands on a brand new pair of CK10's so I have tested these myself with various tips so my experience was certainly not just based off my memory) but these are certainly not any weaker than CK10/CK100 in terms of isolation strictly. In terms of ergonomics/overall fit, there is still no denial to me as far as my own experience goes the CK10 and CK100's would probably bode much easily with almost anyone's ear shapes/canals, because you can very easily wear it normally straight down (compared to over-the-ear style for CK100Pro's) and still get a pretty good deep insertion fit with these previous 2 predecessor models.

With the CK100Pro's, because of their enclosure housings being made substantially larger compared to the other previous model designs, (I actually have my own suspicions partially their acoustic horn design also plays a hand in its overall design, as Audio-technica shares the same concept as Suyama FitEars, since to my own knowledge the To Go! 334 are not exactly very small either in terms of its enclosure housings) some people may have a slight problem with it's fitting during their initial experience, and speaking for myself since I have pretty small ear canals although the CK100Pro's do not go in as deep as far as my own experience with CK10/CK100 goes, in terms of isolation factor as long as I stick with triple-flange tips (I personally use Monster and Etymotics brands for them), I can get a pretty excellent seal with them and its isolation factor is definitely comparable to my CK10/CK100 or even the Etymotics ER-4 as far as my own experience goes.

Also, has anyone tried an aftermarket cable with them?

I do have my own impressions thread over in another Singaporean forum called HardwareZone, and one of my fellow countrymate Kentgh has just shared his aftermarket cables impressions with me not too long ago as he had just upgraded his cables. I will just cut and paste his own impressions here so you guys may read it for yourself easily. :xf_eek:

Arete Cable Impression
After more than 150hrs of burn-in on the new cables & the new CK100Pro, the cable is a keeper.

All the excellent sound of the CK100Pro is still there but the siblance has tone down a little so it is now less fatigue. The sounds is now more 3D (don't know if it is the right term to use) as there's 'air' between the instruments. Love it!

The con is on the design of the connector on the cable. As you can see from the photo the height of the connector is shorter than the original.

The original connector is higher so the cable wrap behind the ear naturally without any stress. For the Arete, it has a clear plastic sleeve near the connector that need to shape/bend it to wrap behind the ear. It need to shape/bend properly else it may cause stress to the earphone/cable connection.

When shape/bend it, it will retain the shape as told by Null Audio. This means that I can't use the original earphone holder so I just put it inside the original carry case without the holder.

The cable itself is very soft and very flexible with no memory effect nor microphonics.

Null Audio Studio is a company based off Singapore, but they do have a Facebook page and official webstore site so I'm quite sure they do cater to overseas customers as well.

Welcome to Null Audio Studio
Email: sales@null-audio.com
https://www.facebook.com/NullAudio

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #108 of 356
I just wanted to add my impressions to the thread since I got a chance to listen to a friend's pair briefly.

The things that stood out to me most was:

A surprisingly substantial low end. While I doubt the CK100 Pro probably won't make a basshead happy, they have enough of a punchy low end to impart a visceral sense of presence.

The treble is very extended and dry, with a broad peak that makes everything sound quite breathy and shimmery. I didn't find the treble particularly sibilant or irritating (this was using Sony foam  hybrid tips) and it sounds quite magical.

Despite being a triple BA the CK100Pro sounded very coherent and clean to me. It didn't sound particularly balanced, but it was pretty breathtaking in its detail retrieval.

I didn't get a long enough listen to give more detailed impressions but I can definitely say that the CK100Pro is a top tier option.

Very interesting video, thanks for inviting your friend Thomas to share with us his own impressions of the CK100Pro's a_recording! Yeah as shared in my original review impressions, the CK100Pro are considered quite an entirely different beast when it comes down to bass impact/extension, these do perform much better than the CK10/CK100 models in terms of bass quality and quantity, and definitely goes very well with any sort of fast-paced songs compared to the former two. I'm quite a electronica/trance music fan myself and the CK100Pro definitely scores very highly up there in my own books in terms of the PRaT factor too. (which is IMO one of the most crucial factors for enjoying the above-mentioned genres)

By the way, do you mind if I link that Youtube video on my original HardwareZone thread? Of course I will give the original credits by mentioning your Head-fi nick. :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #109 of 356
In my own words, in terms of the isolation factor of the CK100Pro's would be the least on my book of worries, they actually do isolate just as well as CK10/CK100, I would not go that far out and say they have very much more superior isolation compared to CK100, (I have owned the CK100's for quite sometime before I managed to acquire my pair of CK100PRO's, I still have them with me now and just earlier this yr I have also got my hands on a brand new pair of CK10's so I have tested these myself with various tips so my experience was certainly not just based off my memory) but these are certainly not any weaker than CK10/CK100 in terms of isolation strictly. In terms of ergonomics/overall fit, there is still no denial to me as far as my own experience goes the CK10 and CK100's would probably bode much easily with almost anyone's ear shapes/canals, because you can very easily wear it normally straight down (compared to over-the-ear style for CK100Pro's) and still get a pretty good deep insertion fit with these previous 2 predecessor models.

With the CK100Pro's, because of their enclosure housings being made substantially larger compared to the other previous model designs, (I actually have my own suspicions partially their acoustic horn design also plays a hand in its overall design, as Audio-technica shares the same concept as Suyama FitEars, since to my own knowledge the To Go! 334 are not exactly very small either in terms of its enclosure housings) some people may have a slight problem with it's fitting during their initial experience, and speaking for myself since I have pretty small ear canals although the CK100Pro's do not go in as deep as far as my own experience with CK10/CK100 goes, in terms of isolation factor as long as I stick with triple-flange tips (I personally use Monster and Etymotics brands for them), I can get a pretty excellent seal with them and its isolation factor is definitely comparable to my CK10/CK100 or even the Etymotics ER-4 as far as my own experience goes.
I do have my own impressions thread over in another Singaporean forum called HardwareZone, and one of my fellow countrymate Kentgh has just shared his aftermarket cables impressions with me not too long ago as he had just upgraded his cables. I will just cut and paste his own impressions here so you guys may read it for yourself easily. :xf_eek:
Null Audio Studio is a company based off Singapore, but they do have a Facebook page and official webstore site so I'm quite sure they do cater to overseas customers as well.

Welcome to Null Audio Studio
Email: sales@null-audio.com
https://www.facebook.com/NullAudio
Thanks for taking the time to write that out.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #110 of 356
Quote:
By the way, do you mind if I link that Youtube video on my original HardwareZone thread? Of course I will give the original credits by mentioning your Head-fi nick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey of course you can link it! I make the videos for people to watch :3

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #112 of 356
Haonan, do you think that the CK100PRO has better isolation than the CK10? What would you rate them according to Joker's scale? 

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #113 of 356
Quote:
Haonan, do you think that the CK100PRO has better isolation than the CK10? What would you rate them according to Joker's scale? 

Depending on your ear shape, I don't find one better than the other in terms of isolating the outside noise, comfort aside.

The CK10, on the other hand, is so small that it can be inserted all the way in your ears.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #114 of 356
Quote:

Depending on your ear shape, I don't find one better than the other in terms of isolating the outside noise, comfort aside.

The CK10, on the other hand, is so small that it can be inserted all the way in your ears.

Thanks, I think that I'll go and try them out later this week. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #117 of 356
Quote:

Hey, thanks.  I was one of the the brave few who enjoyed your video and I believe that the CK100Pro does truly deserves some recognition when compared to the new brave world of $1000+ IEM's.. or maybe not..

I was actually going to see if I could encourage Audio Technica in Sydney to release a CK100Pro into the wild for a listening tour in Australia (lin003 I assume you would be interested :wink: .

I don't think they've ever done anything like it though and I suspect they are worried about the equipment going on a walkabout.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #118 of 356
Quote:

I was actually going to see if I could encourage Audio Technica in Sydney to release a CK100Pro into the wild for a listening tour in Australia (lin003 I assume you would be interested :wink: .

I don't think they've ever done anything like it though and I suspect they are worried about the equipment going on a walkabout.

Yes, I would be as well. I'm going down to Addicted To Audio to demo it this weekend. I'll write my impressions after. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the offer. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #119 of 356
Quote:
Yes, I would be as well. I'm going down to Addicted To Audio to demo it this weekend. I'll write my impressions after. 
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the offer. 

You are so lucky to have Jaben and A2A in Melbourne... Look forward to your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back