Review: CIAudio VDA-1/VAC-1 vs E-MU 1212m
Aug 14, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
I'm debating to whether or not to upgrade right now.
How does the VDA-1 compare to the 1212m without the VAC-1 power supply upgrade? Is the VAC-1 worth the extra $160?

Thanks

The great thing about the Channel Islands line is, you don't have to buy it all at once.

You can get the VDA-1 now, the VAC-1 later, and the VHP (headphone amp) later aswell (along with another VAC-1). Plus, you can have the modwright modifications done to it, etc. Its a good DAC with lots of upgradablity.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 40
Just out of Curiosity, but do Modwright and Channel Islands ship internationally? I've been looking at the VDA-1 (or a modded as new) with interest however the CIaudio site and the Modwright are a bit thin on the information side (payment methods, freight charges, insurance etc). I'm used to (and even expect) a load of relevent info. As one would be dealing with people on the otherside of the Pacific, that little bit of extra peace of mind helps.

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeruel the 14th
Just out of Curiosity, but do Modwright and Channel Islands ship internationally? I've been looking at the VDA-1 (or a modded as new) with interest however the CIaudio site and the Modwright are a bit thin on the information side (payment methods, freight charges, insurance etc). I'm used to (and even expect) a load of relevent info. As one would be dealing with people on the otherside of the Pacific, that little bit of extra peace of mind helps.

I think they do ship internationally, but I know CIAudio dosn't offer the 30 day money back trial for international orders, your best bet is to just e-mail them and ask.

Aug 18, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #25 of 40
An excellent review, thanks. Very, very interesting to see how the CIAudio VDA1 is causing such a stir.
I think $349 is an excellent price point, and of course there are the upgradability options down the road as has already been mentioned.
I for one am now set on getting one towards the end of the year, when I'm due to take a trip to the US...

The only thing left to work out is what PCI optical out card to go for. Maybe just the chaintech, which seems to do the job...

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
Does anyone know how the VDA-1 compares to the Headroom MicroDAC?? Again amoung the E-MU 1212m & MicroDAC, which one is better?

Please answer this somebody,I'm also very interested..

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 40
With all of the glowing endorsements for this and the MicroDAC, it appears that external DACs in computer setups are becoming a flavor of the month around here. I would only expect a $500 DAC setup to beat out a $200 soundcard (whose DAC hardly accounts for the entire price,) but maybe that's just me. I'd be a little more interested in a comparison sans the VAC-1. It's a well written review, don't get me wrong, but considering that he's comparing the 1212M with something 2.5X it's cost, it doesn't seem very fair to the E-MU.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
With all of the glowing endorsements for this and the MicroDAC, it appears that external DACs in computer setups are becoming a flavor of the month around here. I would only expect a $500 DAC setup to beat out a $200 soundcard (whose DAC hardly accounts for the entire price,) but maybe that's just me. I'd be a little more interested in a comparison sans the VAC-1. It's a well written review, don't get me wrong, but considering that he's comparing the 1212M with something 2.5X it's cost, it doesn't seem very fair to the E-MU.

A lot of people wonder if that $300-500 DAC is worth it over their current soundcard. How big of a differnece, etc. Cost dosn't always = absolute performance.

Everyone knows the E-MU 1212m is one of the best soundcards out there, but people want to know, what the next step is, and the best way up is to an external DAC, and this review is of a very well designed one, at a reasonable price point, with many upgrades available.

I would hardly call external DACS a 'flavour of the month'. People have been using DACs for a long time, as upgrades to CDPs and computers for years.

Aug 28, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 40
The thing is, we don't know how it compares without that mentioned upgrade for the DAC. Add a $160 power supply to a $350 DAC, and it's hardly a "reasonable price point" anymore.

If you think that the VDA-1 is the next step up from the E-MU 1212m, why include the VAC-1 in the setup? I would think it's more sensible to compare a $200 soundcard to a $350 DAC, rather than include a $160 power supply to go along with the DAC. The next step up from the 1212M may very well be the VDA-1, but I wouldn't know that by reading this review. This is because you added an expensive power supply that helps stack things in the VDA-1's favor as well as taking the total cost of that "next step" ($510) to something much, much more than the soundcard you're comparing it to ($200 or less.)

Aug 28, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
The thing is, we don't know how it compares without that mentioned upgrade for the DAC. Add a $160 power supply to a $350 DAC, and it's hardly a "reasonable price point" anymore.

If you think that the VDA-1 is the next step up from the E-MU 1212m, why include the VAC-1 in the setup? I would think it's more sensible to compare a $200 soundcard to a $350 DAC, rather than include a $160 power supply to go along with the DAC. The next step up from the 1212M may very well be the VDA-1, but I wouldn't know that by reading this review. This is because you added an expensive power supply that helps stack things in the VDA-1's favor as well as taking the total cost of that "next step" ($510) to something much, much more than the soundcard you're comparing it to ($200 or less.)

Is that you want a comparison of 1212M alone with 1212M + VDA-1 but NO VAC-1?
confused.gif

wanna make sure first before I answer, pls excuse me for my poor understanding in English
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back