Review: CIAudio VDA-1/VAC-1 vs E-MU 1212m
Aug 13, 2005 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Asmo

1000+ Head-Fier
EMU-1212m vs Channel Islands VDA-1 & VAC-1

With 72 hours of burn in on my new Channel Islands VDA-1 & VAC-1 combo, I have decided to write up a small review of these two units.

Specifications:

VDA-1: $349

[size=xx-small]Inputs: (2) Toslink Optical, Coaxial SP/DIF
Locking Frequencies: 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1db
THD: <.006% 20Hz-20kHz
Output Level: 2.4vRMS
Dimensions: 4.40"w x 2.65"h x 4.40"d

Input receiver: Burr Brown DIR 1701
Burr Brown PCM 1716 DAC
Class A biased dual op amp analog stage Burr Brown 2134.[/size]

VAC-1: $159

[size=xx-small]AC Input Voltage: 115/230VAC
Output Voltage: 14VAC @ 1.44 Amps
Accessories: IEC Type AC Cable, AC output Cable
Dimensions: 4.40"w x 2.65"h x 4.40"d[/size]

EMU 1212m: $199

Frequency Response: +/- .05dB, 20Hz - 22kHz
THD+N (1kHz signal at -1dBFS): -110dB
SNR (A-weighted): 120dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 120dB
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1 dBFS): < -115dB

DAC: CS4398
ADC: AKM AK5394

Analog Line Outputs

Type: balanced, low-noise, 2-pole low-pass differential filter
Level (software selectable):
Professional: +4dBu nominal, 20dBu maximum (balanced)
Consumer: -10dBV nominal, 6dBV maximum (unbalanced)
Frequency Response: 0.0/-.35dB, 20Hz - 20kHz
THD+N (1kHz signal at -1dBFS): -105dB
SNR (A-weighted): 120dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 120dB
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1 dBFS): < -115dB

Digital I/O
S/PDIF:
2 in/2 out coaxial (transformer coupled)
AES/EBU or S/PDIF format, switchable under software control
ADAT:
8 channels, 24-bit @ 44.1/48kHz
4 channels, 24-bit @ 96kHz (S-MUX compatible)
2 channels, 24-bit @ 192kHz [size=x-small]
Firewire:
400 Mbps 1394a port (6-pin)
Compatible with DV cameras, storage peripherals, etc.

Equipment used:
[size=xx-small]Speakers: Paradigm Studio 40 v3 w/Audioquest Cables
Headphones: Sennheiser HD580 w/Oehlbach cable
AMP: NAD c352 (for both speakers & headphones)
Interconnects: Zu Oxyfuel RCA (x2), Ebay Glass Optical Toslink
I borrowed a friends pair of Zu Oxyfuels for switching between the 1212m analog and digital on my amp so interconnects were not a issue.[/size]

Music (all FLAC):
[size=xx-small]Diana Krall: Departure Bay
Radiohead: Karma Police
Neil Young: Harvest Moon
VNV Nation: Chrome
Gladiator Sountrack: The Gladiator Waltz
Evanescence: Hello
Motorhead: In the year of the Wolf[/size]

I decided to just choose 7 songs for the review, I obviously enjoy music from many different genres.

Dianna Krall: This is one of if not my fav song from this albumn, the main problem I always found with the 1212m, was vocals, especially female vocals, sounded cold and edgy. Right away with the VDA-1, I was able to hear a difference in vocal presentation, gone was the cold sterile sound, and without losing any detail, her vocals had more presence, and fullness to them, i was very impressed here.

Radiohead: The opening of this song is one of my favorites for listening too, the quality of the guiatrs is very good, all the way to when the bass line kicks in. The VDA simply trounced the E-MU here, seperation with the guitars and details were better, and the bass was so much tighter and deeper, I had to replay it a few times just to hear it again it sounded very good. The next best part in this song at 2:20 into the song approx, with the background vocals piano and exellent drums leading into the chorus, the VDA was able to handle this much better and give more impact and presence to the chorus when it came in, made the 1212m sound very dull at this point.

Neil Young: Again, more of the same, the 1212m was able to handle this song quite well, its not as harsh with male vocals, and the differences were a bit more subtle, until 3:40 into the song, when the harmonica comes in, wow, the VDA brought it to life, this was especially noticeable on my speakers more than my headphones.

VNV Nation: This is a electronic band, this song has a fast beat with very clear forward male vocals, which are synthesized somewhat during the chorus. The vocals on the VDA were just more full in this song, not forward, but just everywhere. The bass was more defined and controlled, and minor electronic blips and noises were layered into the background nicely, the 1212m sounded a lil bright with some sounds.

Gladiator: This song, this is the first song I listened to where I felt the VDA was definetly worth it over the 1212m, the seperation of the instruments, bass impact, soundtage, everything you can imagine was simply better, the 1212m always sounded a little muffled with busy classical peices like this, the VDA was able to find each instruments perfect place in the soundstage and produce it accuractely. Before this song, I felt the differences were minor, but this song truely set them apart.

Evanescence: I've always liked her vocals, and I'm sure people who are familiar with them, know her voice is a little cold to begin with, and you can try to imagine how some of the song sounded with the 1212m during her high pitched solo parts. Again, more of the same here as earlier posted, her vocals were more full and the dry vocals have new life to them.

Motorhead: This song has a lot of heavy guitars in it, I always thought this song sounded a little muffled, and was simply the recording itself, this was not the case after hearing it on the VDA-1. The guitars had more texture and definition to them, and the vocals were more audible and seperate from the rest of the music, I did not expect this difference from the 1212m on this type of music.

Conclusions: I've always been a big fan of the 1212m, compared to other soundcards anyways, the Channel Islands VDA-1/VAC-1 is my first external DAC source I have ever heard, I choose it after reading a lot of comparisons and talking with other head-fi members who own it.

The VDA offers a more fuller sound, with much better seperation within the soundstage, both offer a very good soundstage overall, the vda simply places the instruments apart better. Bass is much better on the VDA, more controlled and deeper with more texture to the notes, very happy here. The 1212m was able to match the VDA-1 on highs mostly, with the exception of vocals.

Overall, I think at the price point, the VDA-1 is worth it for the improvements, it is not always in your face wow this is better on every song, but it is definetly noticeable and worth while if you are looking at a inexpensive external DAC. This DAC has been compared, and rated in the same class for output quality as most DACs in the $500-1000 price range, including the forum favorite, the Benchmark Media DAC1. I talked to 3 head-fi forum members who have heard/owned both and all 3 choose the VDA. I have not heard it myself, so I cannot comment directly, I hope to be able to compare directly myself someday at a meet.

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 40
What are you using to amplify the output of the VDA-1? This is a true newbie question but when you connected the VDA-1 to your PC did you use a USB cable? If yes did the computer recognized the VDA-1 as an external sound card? Py the way have you thought of getting the VHP-1 headphone amp?

If you were to purchase the VHP-1 would you get a second power supply or would you use the regularly supplied walwart? Which would get the walwart and which would get the VAC-1 power supply?

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
What are you using to amplify the output of the VDA-1? This is a true newbie question but when you connected the VDA-1 to your PC did you use a USB cable? If yes did the computer recognized the VDA-1 as an external sound card? Py the way have you thought of getting the VHP-1 headphone amp?

If you were to purchase the VHP-1 would you get a second power supply or would you use the regularly supplied walwart? Which would get the walwart and which would get the VAC-1 power supply?

Thanks.

There's no USB input, only TOSLink and Coax. If you want to use the VHP-1 and VDA-1 both with VAC-1, you'd need two VAC-1s. Asmo hasn't tried the VHP-1 yet, nor have many people..

Great review Asmo :).

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 40
Asmo, your review solves my doubts.
biggrin.gif
Very nicely done. I love the comparison!

cheers and thanks
Venio

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
How would I get the music in my hard drive thru Itunes to the CI VDA-1? Thanks.

Through Coax or TOSLink

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 40
I had a Modwright VDA-1 with a stock VAC-1 and I liked it a lot. Go for the mods when you have a chance. I have a feeling you'll like them quite a bit.

What kind of digital cable are you using? I had good success with the Stereovox HDXV.

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by recca
I had a Modwright VDA-1 with a stock VAC-1 and I liked it a lot. Go for the mods when you have a chance. I have a feeling you'll like them quite a bit.

What kind of digital cable are you using? I had good success with the Stereovox HDXV.

I'm using the Glass optical ebay cable.

I've read good things about the modwrights too, I will definetly consider that down the road.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 40
i can second this reviewer's impressions. it's not night and day (like audigy to emu), but it's a worthy upgrade.

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 40
Nice review Asmo ~~ Glad that you like the CIAudio in the way as I do !!

You've made a very clear and accurate description on the differences (or i should say IMPROVEMENTS) from the 1212M to VDA-1. Exactly what I heard here too
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 40
I'm debating to whether or not to upgrade right now.
How does the VDA-1 compare to the 1212m without the VAC-1 power supply upgrade? Is the VAC-1 worth the extra $160?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 40
the psu is worth it. you don't have to get it right away but you'll definetly want to. if you have an ear at all you'll recognize the bass become cleaner and the soundstage wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back