Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Apr 19, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #331 of 694
This thing is seriously good. The excuse of the gain is too high so your IEM's will hiss is dismissed. You can turn high gain on and it won't hiss. No treble glare, maybe a little bass boost, and a lot of detail. Sounds good with low quality source material and even better with high. No weird glitches. 

In my opinion, this should be a reference piece. Jitter seems minimal, plenty of power, picks up minimal EMI, is plenty neutral. 

Using with UERM, JH13, JH5, 1964 U6, Cardas A8, PSB M4U 4. The people that made this know what they're doing. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #332 of 694
  CEntrance has officially released their latest firmware update (Rev. 7.9.5) which is supposed to run flawlessly on Windows 10 http://www.centrance.com/downloads/ud/

Thank you, I didn't check Centrance web lately. Last time when I used my Dacport Slim I had issue with W10. Going to install/update firmware tonight .

May 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #336 of 694
Before I plugged into my PC I decided to give it a go on my Nexus 6p to see if it would work. Well I'm happy to report that this tiny piece of kit + the Fostex TH-X00 mahogany sound absolutely amazing out of my phone.

Hey @mayorblurps, I have a Nexus 5X, and just joined the drop. Mainly using the Slim with my laptop setup at work, but curious if I'd be able to get away with powering it straight from the phone without any type of splitter/hub/powerbank business? In your review, were you powering straight from the 6P (usb c <-> usb micro cable)? If so, was the battery drain pretty significant? 

I know others have posted about direct phone usage, and either not working unless using a supplemental power bank, or battery drain when directly connected too much. Didn't know if there would be any difference for the newer Nexus phones with type c though, hence the question. Any help appreciated, thanks!

May 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #337 of 694
Can anyone who's sensitive to hiss confirm the OP's experience of zero hiss with the SE846?

From my experience with that IEM, the Slim's 1Ohm impedance rating shouldn't jive with a hiss-free experience... I've found the SE846 (with stock cable) usually requires an impedance of around .7 and below to be inky black...

May 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #338 of 694
Can anyone who's sensitive to hiss confirm the OP's experience of zero hiss with the SE846?

From my experience with that IEM, the Slim's 1Ohm impedance rating shouldn't jive with a hiss-free experience... I've found the SE846 (with stock cable) usually requires an impedance of around .7 and below to be inky black...

Please read the hiss/background noise section in my QP1R review if you haven't already.

May 31, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #339 of 694
Please read the hiss/background noise section in my QP1R review if you haven't already.

Yup, I'm familiar with the individual/physiological/hardware factors that contribute to one hearing hiss, and I'm assuming you're not someone who's overly sensitive to hiss in the first place?

Folks who are and own the SE846 know what I'm referring to, concerning a device's impedance and those IEMs... Generally you want .7 or below. But there are exceptions...

Question stands: any hiss-sensitive heads listened to the Slim with some SE846?

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #340 of 694

Yup, I'm familiar with the individual/physiological/hardware factors that contribute to one hearing hiss, and I'm assuming you're not someone who's overly sensitive to hiss in the first place?

Folks who are and own the SE846 know what I'm referring to, concerning a device's impedance and those IEMs... Generally you want .7 or below. But there are exceptions...

Question stands: any hiss-sensitive heads listened to the Slim with some SE846?

I tried again, with the most up to date driver and I heard no discernible hiss.  You will want/need to use Low Gain with the SE846 since having the DACport Slim on High Gain and just a little bit of volume is way too much for the sensitive SE846.  This said, no matter what other's experience with the SE846 and the DACport Slim will mean that your experience will be the same.  It's good to get a lot of points of data from "hiss-sensitive" and non-sensitive heads (what really specifically constitutes that? [rhetorical question]), but again, you may or may not hear hiss, for many reasons that you have read.

Best thing to do is to listen to the specific combination yourself for you to come to your own individual conclusion with regards to if there is background noise/hiss to your ears.

Take care.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #342 of 694

Mine has a noticeable level of background hiss using both my Shure SE530 and my Pandora Sonorous VI, even on low gain.

The sound is good, but the hiss between tracks or even on very, very quiet sections of music is noticeable and slightly disappointing. I have no such issues with my old, original DACPort (the tubular one)

I even emailed DacPort and was told "it was normal with very sensitive earphones, especially those with balanced armature drivers" - which both the above have.

If noise floor bothers you and you are sensitive to it, you may want to try before you buy - I have gone back to using my original DacPort!

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #343 of 694
Late to the party here, but seriously considering this from the current Massdrop offering.  I am planning to use this on both my home laptop and work laptop running Windows Vista (yeah, I know, but the damn thing is still working great) and Windows 7, respectively.  Has anyone had any experience using the DACport Slim with Vista?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back